Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A 2012 Beatles Reunion - Personnel?  (Read 10193 times)

Casbah

• A Beginning
A 2012 Beatles Reunion - Personnel?
« on: June 06, 2012, 10:01:13 AM »

Ok, its 2012, all the Beatles are alive and they've decided to go on tour.  They resolved a long time ago that the fans want to hear their music, technology has come to the point where everyone can hear themselves and they are able to put up with one another for enough hours in the day to make it work. (Maybe they travel separately  ;D )

ANYWAY, who is on this tour?
Paul - Bass, Guitar, Piano, Vocals
John - Guitar, Piano, Vocals
George - Guitar, Vocals
Ringo - Drums, Vocals

Any sidemen? Im thinking at least a touring keyboard player or 2 to help fill in keys, strings,  horns and whatever else. 
Possibly a backup drummer?
McCartney seems to get it done with limited stage musicians, I'm thinking the Beatles, in the interest of authenticity, ego (all capable muscians) and money go a similar route.

Do they keep the setlist as exclusively Beatles songs?  Im thinking George would feel short-changed as they are all now solo superstars and of course George's Beatle music didn't start getting ample wax time until the end.

I am sure they would all want to showcase their solo music but are they content being "sidemen" for each others turn in the spotlight? Or are there musicians on board that take over while the other 3 have tea backstage?

Just some random Beatle thoughts that pop into my brain from time to time.

I'm happy to have the Beatles in my life because todays music just leaves me empty. It's nice to know once upon a time we had music we believed in.
"Someone told me a few minutes ago they saw John walking on the street once wearing a button saying "I Love Paul." And this girl said she asked him, "Why are you wearing a button that says ' I Love Paul'? He said "Because I love Paul."

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
Re: A 2012 Beatles Reunion - Personnel?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 01:25:34 PM »

Lots to think about. Wow.

OK...

Well, I think this would turn out to be a huge affair. They might consider it their one-and-only such tour. Sort of a 'thank you and farewell' gift for the fans. And maybe also to prove that they could do it. Why not go for broke and do it big-time?

Sure, I think there should be sidemen. The usual suspects would be nice: Keltner, Voorman, Cooper, maybe even Clapton. Guest stars could be added in at random along the way.

I don't see why a small orchestra shouldn't come along. A lot of songs would require strings, horns, etc.

I envision something like three separate sections - or 'acts' if you will:

1) The first section could just be the four 'lads' doing their thing as a group. Pure and not over-produced. Do a lot of the older stuff - although wouldn't 'Come Together' be a great opener for the evening?

2) Solo material. Each member gets a few songs, either from The Beatles or solo career. The sidemen gradually come out in support. Other members take turns getting a 'tea break.'

3) Pull out the stops. Full orchestra, guest artists. Do the 'tricky' stuff - ex. 'I Am The Walrus' etc. Closer? 'The End' of course.

Fun to think about.

George needn't worry. He had plenty of good Beatle song to add to the gig. Same with Ringo.

Sadly, I don't think I'd go to this concert since Paul can't sing any more. It's depressing watching vids with him these days. I wonder what the others' voices would be like today?

Maybe I'd go just to see the spectacle of it.

Set list? That's a whole other ball of wax. My brain hurts already. I'll step down now, let others suggest that, and prepare to be bashed over Paul having lost his voice.

Cheers!

:)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 01:27:24 PM by Klang »
'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Bobber

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 02:20:54 PM »

and prepare to be bashed over Paul having lost his voice.

You didn't get bashed. Most probably because it's true. Which is not a shame for a man of his age.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 03:07:11 PM »

Yea. You know, I respect that he's still out there giving the fans what they want. He does do well for someone his age, too. It's hard for me to listen to, though.

:-\

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Bobber

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 03:20:46 PM »

Oh true that. I think it's great that Paul is still on the road, but I believe he need to adjust his live repertoire to the possibilities of his voice.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 06:51:49 PM by Bobber »

TomMo

• A Beginning
  • You Can't Do That
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 06:47:25 PM »

Ok, its 2012, all the Beatles are alive and they've decided to go on tour.  They resolved a long time ago that the fans want to hear their music, technology has come to the point where everyone can hear themselves and they are able to put up with one another for enough hours in the day to make it work. (Maybe they travel separately  ;D )

ANYWAY, who is on this tour?
Paul - Bass, Guitar, Piano, Vocals
John - Guitar, Piano, Vocals
George - Guitar, Vocals
Ringo - Drums, Vocals

Any sidemen? Im thinking at least a touring keyboard player or 2 to help fill in keys, strings,  horns and whatever else. 
Possibly a backup drummer?
McCartney seems to get it done with limited stage musicians, I'm thinking the Beatles, in the interest of authenticity, ego (all capable muscians) and money go a similar route.

Do they keep the setlist as exclusively Beatles songs?  Im thinking George would feel short-changed as they are all now solo superstars and of course George's Beatle music didn't start getting ample wax time until the end.

I am sure they would all want to showcase their solo music but are they content being "sidemen" for each others turn in the spotlight? Or are there musicians on board that take over while the other 3 have tea backstage?

Just some random Beatle thoughts that pop into my brain from time to time.

I'm happy to have the Beatles in my life because todays music just leaves me empty. It's nice to know once upon a time we had music we believed in.

This has to be the very best "what if" Beatles questions of all time.

I would have to add one proviso: Neil and Mal must also still be alive. What would a Beatles reunion be without them?

1. Regarding the solo music: As much as I'd hate to have the Beatles stealing ideas from the Monkees, I'll make an exception in this case. When the Monkees toured in '67, each had a solo spot mid-show, one song each. The Lads need more than that, so how about 20 - 30 minutes each? I'll assume this will be a long show.

2. Sidemen? You bet. The Beatles were bigger than Elvis, IMHO, so they deserve the same, if not bigger, band behind them. Sidemen should include Beatle offspring.

3.     a. First set: Beatles only, playing whatever Beatles songs they can play as a 4-piece band.

b. Solo spots with sidemen.

c. Second set: Beatles with backing band, playing music that requires the big sound.

4. Most importantly: No Yoko!

"Beware of soft shoe shufflers"

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 02:08:24 AM »

Oh true that. I think it's great that Paul is still on the road, but I believe he need to adjust his live repertoire to the possibilities of his voice.

Right.  The days when he could do this...

...have passed.  I wish he could still do that, but he can't.  Fortunately we have so many hours of recordings, movies and videos of Paul in his prime for mankind to enjoy for eternity.
I can stay till it's time to go

TomMo

• A Beginning
  • You Can't Do That
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 04:24:31 PM »

Right.  The days when he could do this...

...have passed.  I wish he could still do that, but he can't.  Fortunately we have so many hours of recordings, movies and videos of Paul in his prime for mankind to enjoy for eternity.

Right. As I posted in another thread, Paul is well aware of his declining range, and goes to great lengths to maintain his voice on the road. He also steadfastly refuses to drop original keys, even by a half-step. This info came to me by way of his tour's hairdresser.

For the most part, Paul does hit most of the high notes, albeit painfully and with less power than his younger days. I noticed a few times in his Miami gig on his 2010 tour when he sang bits of songs with a slight rewrite of the melody to avoid a high note. (Wish I had taken notes, I can't cite an example - sorry. But then maybe some of you who saw him there or elsewhere know what I'm talking about.)

I do have to applaud Macca for trying to remain true to the original tracks.

stevejrogers

• A Beginning
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 01:17:38 AM »

You want Billy Preston also to be alive for this?

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 01:36:56 AM »

All opposed signify by saying 'no.'

:D

Casbah

• A Beginning
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 05:51:31 AM »

Good question. I wouldn't consider him essential personnel, so I would say no.

"Someone told me a few minutes ago they saw John walking on the street once wearing a button saying "I Love Paul." And this girl said she asked him, "Why are you wearing a button that says ' I Love Paul'? He said "Because I love Paul."

Casbah

• A Beginning
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 05:59:40 AM »

I gave some thought to the live orchestra idea and I think they could get away without it, use keyboards or re-arrange the tune. I know Elvis did it in the 70's but those were extravagant times.  I picture the Beatles travelling a lot more efficiently (like Paul is doing). But who knows? Maybe it would be a great idea in some of the bigger markets like NY, L.A and the U.K.

I have to admit, a Hollywood Bowl concert with the Beatles and full orchestra would be the be-all end-all. I would be happy to leave earth at the final note.  ha2ha

Yeshelloitsmehereagain

• Getting Better
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 10:00:08 AM »

A fine example of a man who cannot sing...  ;D

Paul McCartney Grammys 2012 - Abbey Road Medley

It's not as good as it was, but maybe neither are you. Indeed the time will come in the next couple of years when he's going to have to change the key and arrangement (like Tom Jones) and do something different, however I'm not so sure it's going to happen, he's often stated how he feels as is he's going to live past 100 and be wheeled on stage to croak out Yesterday. If that's the case then fair doos to the man.

I'm just not a fan of b****y comments. You wouldn't go to a Beatles concert. What a joke.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 12:07:01 PM »

Was that directed to me? Now that's funny.

No, I don't make "b****y" comments, as others who may protest a bit too much may do. I share my honest opinion. That's all I will ever do. Consider adopting a more tolerant attitude.

I won't take the time to watch your clip. Better things to do with my time. Your point is taken, though. Once in a while he might get lucky and sound pretty good. Nice. Power to him.

I would not go to a PM concert if I was given a free ticket. No joke. I'm too fond of his music and his legacy to sit through three hours of its mangling.

Unfortunate if that bothers you.

I would probably go see this fantasy Beatles reunion if it happened, more to witness a historic event than anything else.

Cheers!

Yeshelloitsmehereagain

• Getting Better
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 01:02:14 PM »

You wouldn't go to a Paul show if you were given a free ticket?

ha2ha

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2012, 01:05:34 PM »

Absolutely not. How many times do you need the reason explained to you?

ha2ha

Yeshelloitsmehereagain

• Getting Better
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2012, 02:00:45 PM »

b****y.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2012, 02:35:15 PM »

Definitely. I'll be embarrassed for you.

TomMo

• A Beginning
  • You Can't Do That
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2012, 02:49:13 PM »

I gave some thought to the live orchestra idea and I think they could get away without it, use keyboards or re-arrange the tune. I know Elvis did it in the 70's but those were extravagant times.  I picture the Beatles travelling a lot more efficiently (like Paul is doing). But who knows? Maybe it would be a great idea in some of the bigger markets like NY, L.A and the U.K.

I have to admit, a Hollywood Bowl concert with the Beatles and full orchestra would be the be-all end-all. I would be happy to leave earth at the final note.  ha2ha

A whole lot of truth to your comment. I guess when I envisioned a tour, I pictured a limited tour. But even with a huge tour, most artists hire orchestral players locally for each gig. Perhaps Giles Martin could oversee that, rehearsing the orchestra prior to the Beatles' arrival. I mean, hey...this is a fantasy question; it deserves to be a BIG fantasy.

TomMo

• A Beginning
  • You Can't Do That
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2012, 02:58:15 PM »

A fine example of a man who cannot sing...  ;D

Paul McCartney Grammys 2012 - Abbey Road Medley

It's not as good as it was, but maybe neither are you. Indeed the time will come in the next couple of years when he's going to have to change the key and arrangement (like Tom Jones) and do something different, however I'm not so sure it's going to happen, he's often stated how he feels as is he's going to live past 100 and be wheeled on stage to croak out Yesterday. If that's the case then fair doos to the man.

I'm just not a fan of b****y comments. You wouldn't go to a Beatles concert. What a joke.

Speaking of Tom Jones, any truth to the story that Jones, in an interview, claims that Macca offered him "The Long and Winding Road" to record prior to the Beatles' version? Paul claims that he offered "Suicide" to Sinatra, but I've never figured out if Paul was doing a classic Beatle put-on.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.54 seconds with 77 queries.