Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Arnold sucks more than a $2 .....  (Read 6181 times)

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
Arnold sucks more than a $2 .....
« on: January 10, 2009, 03:19:17 AM »

Sorry, I have to vent some more about the Governator.  

He has now made it clear that California state worker's will be furloughed two days a month starting in February and will last for 18 months.  That means two days out of the month (the 1st and 3rd Friday), all state offices (except ones that must remain open 24 hours a day like prisons and hospitals) in California will be shut down.  No work, no pay.  That means a 10% paycut for us.  

They are also hinting at giving us IOU's instead of paychecks.  They have done this in the past and the banks do not like it.  What that means is that they give you a "check" that basically says the State will pay the bank back later.  So if the bank wants to honor it, they can.  If they don't want to, of course they don't have to.  

It really just kills me because the legislature just got a 5% raise...and it's their damn fault we are in this mess.  I feel so sorry right now for single parents out there who are barely making it.  I know a couple of people who will have to move because they will no longer be able to live in their current home with this paycut, especially people who both spouses work for the state.

Also, they said there will be layoffs, probably to come later but sometime soon.  Rumor is 20% of employees that were newly hired.  I have worked for the state for 4 years so I should be safe but I certainly hope so...

Sorry to ramble on, I just am very frustrated.

Thank you have a nice day.
<br />

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
Re: Arnold sucks more than a $2 .....
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 10:14:09 PM »

^ :(

I also found out that my university (which is public) has been ordered to stop all state-bond funded construction projects by the state's Department of Finance.  This suspension is supposed to be temporary (it might last a couple of months, if not more) but it is very sad since we have some major projects going on, such as a new performing arts center and a science building.  Needless to say, the state of the economy has a lot of us quite worried.  :o :(

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 04:56:21 AM »

^^ that is so lame.  Education is so important...We need to cut money from people who are disability becaue they are drug addicts.  SOrry you dont deserve, get off drugs and work like the rest of us.  I mean I do think there should be programs out there to help people who are on drugs but I dont think they should get disability because of it.  

So now instead of cutting funding from  things like that, they pick on schools.  
<br />

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 10:12:45 AM »

Quote from: 1204
So now instead of cutting funding from  things like that, they pick on schools.  

I've been going to public schools and universities my entire life, so the sad thing is, I'm used to hearing about my schools suffering from budget cuts.  (However, I've been told that things may be worse this time around. :( )  I can't imagine the luxury of going to a wealthy private school and not having to worry about repeated financial crises.  It's really crappy and hypocritical that Americans place such a high value on having children and yet drain precious money from their education.

I haven't been on this board for an especially long time, but if I may ask, what is your job?

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 01:10:46 AM »

I work for the State of California, for the department that collects all taxes except for income taxes.  So like sales tax and environmental taxes, fuel taxes, etc.
<br />

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 01:16:38 AM »

so you are the taxman......... ;D are you picky and like a straight line???do you laugh at people who stand in line for an hour then you tell them you can't help them?and lastly how tall are you?i noticed in you of your pics you are rather height challenged...sorry i didn't wanna say the s word.... ;D

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 01:23:47 AM »

tax cuts are bad but until we get a recession there are gonna be more cuts...florida uses some of the lottery ticket sales money to help fund public schools...the money needs to come from some wheres..more taxes and not the answer...we are getting taxed to death...i remember a certain party of people sailed away from a continent that was over taxing them...they formed thier own country and tried to do away with useless taxes but now here we are doing what we ran from....in the words of pee wee herman...attica attica......
L-qLZRyQdW8

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 02:51:20 AM »

Quote from: 284
so you are the taxman......... ;D are you picky and like a straight line???do you laugh at people who stand in line for an hour then you tell them you can't help them?and lastly how tall are you?i noticed in you of your pics you are rather height challenged...sorry i didn't wanna say the s word.... ;D

Yup I am the taxman...or taxwoman  ;D

Actually the part I work in is for the environment, so it's not as bad as taxes (at least that's what I tell myself so I can sleep at night  ;) )

And the reason why I work there is for job stability and good benefits.  And I am for the people. I really do go out of my way to help people, I would never be an auditor or collector, not for me at all.   8)

And yes I am very short, I am 5'1. Good things come in small packages  :P
<br />

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 05:20:44 AM »

Actually the part I work in is for the environment, so it's not as bad as taxes (at least that's what I tell myself so I can sleep at night  ;) )

And the reason why I work there is for job stability and good benefits.  And I am for the people. I really do go out of my way to help people, I would never be an auditor or collector, not for me at all.   8)

YGG (You Go Girl)! BTW, taxes pay for things like  schools and roads, and health care and research, so even if you were collecting taxes, I still think you would deserve a good night's sleep!  :)
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 02:29:58 PM »

Ever since the Governator went into politics I can't really watch his movies anymore.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 02:38:36 PM »

Quote from: 56
Ever since the Governator went into politics I can't really watch his movies anymore.

I couldn't watch them before, either.  ;D

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 01:12:30 AM »

^^  ;D

I know what you mean now, when I see him in movies now, all I can think of is that he's the one of the worst governor's Ca has ever had.
<br />

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 02:47:42 AM »

California sucks worse than a two dollar bill, so they deserve Arnold.

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 01:52:04 AM »

I know what you mean.  I want to get out of here I just need to finish school first so that I can afford to leave and be able to get a decent job when I do.  
<br />

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009, 08:09:28 PM »

you do seem quite human...a pleasure to hob knob with you ma'am... ;)

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 10:09:20 AM »

And I am for the people. I really do go out of my way to help people, I would never be an auditor or collector, not for me at all.   8)

Good for you!!!  (grin)

Yup...I'm really short, too.  There's nothing bad about being short except I always get teased, though.

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 03:24:54 AM »

^^Thanks!

Yes I have always been teased about my height or lack of, but oh well, there are worse things in the world than being little!!!
<br />

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 03:34:46 AM »

i didn't mean to start anything...i know after years on this earth THAT GOOD THINGS COME IN SMALL PACKAGES!!!! ;)

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 04:32:06 AM »

Oh, don't trip chocolate chip, I knew you were just teasing  ;)
<br />

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2009, 01:22:36 AM »

SACRAMENTO, Calif. - A judge ruled on Thursday that Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger can force tens of thousands of state workers to take days off without pay to help close a multibillion-dollar budget gap.

The two-day-a-month furloughs are scheduled to start Feb. 6 and would apply to all 238,000 state workers, although many of those would be exempt.

Two employee unions had challenged Schwarzenegger's executive order, saying he did not have authority to order furloughs.

Judge Patrick Marlette disagreed. In a preliminary ruling, he said the governor has "express authority to make the challenged order."

He also said certain union agreements allow the administration to reduce employee hours if the state runs short of money.

Schwarzenegger has declared a fiscal emergency as California faces a $42 billion budget deficit through June 2010. He said the reduced-work plan will save California about $1.4 billion through June 2010.

'Necessary' move, judge says
"The current circumstances constitute an emergency," Marlette said. "The challenged order is reasonable and necessary."

He is scheduled to issue a final ruling later.

Despite weeks of meetings with legislative leaders from both parties, Schwarzenegger has yet to reach a deal on how to close the deficit over the next 18 months. They hope to fill the gap before February, when the state could start to run out of cash and begin issuing IOUs instead of payments to some contractors.

The furlough plan comes as the Schwarzenegger administration and the state's largest employee union, Service Employees International Union, Local 1000, negotiate a new contract for 90,000 workers.

Negotiations have taken on a new urgency recently as the state slides toward insolvency, SEIU spokesman Jim Zamora said.

"On the one hand we'd like to compromise, make some sacrifices to help the state, but also to protect our members... to protect people from getting laid off," Zamora said.

Eliminate 2 paid holidays?
Schwarzenegger also has sought other concessions from state employees, including eliminating two of their 14 paid holidays.

On Wednesday, he called state workers dedicated individuals who make California run. He said he wants to avoid layoffs if possible.

"To me labor has the choice, and I made this very clear: That they can help us in making the decision in how they save the $1.4 billion," the governor said.

Bruce Blanning, executive director of Professional Engineers in California Government, one of the unions that sued over the furlough plan, said his group has suggested Schwarzenegger save money by reducing its outsourcing. Outsourcing engineering jobs to private companies costs the state twice as much as hiring its own engineers, he said.

:'(
<br />
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.434 seconds with 81 queries.