Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 107

Author Topic: Last movies you saw & what you thought of them  (Read 194409 times)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Last movies you saw & what you thought of them
« Reply #1080 on: December 11, 2013, 05:00:13 AM »

I thought the portrayal in the 1997 movie of the nonfiction characters (except for fictitious elements of the officers -- specifically, Murdoch accepting a bribe and committing suicide, Lightoller pulling a gun on passengers, and Lowe's timidity) was superior to all other versions. 

Kathy, what sources did Cameron use for portraying Murdoch's behavior in his movie?  I know that not too long after the movie was released, the studio issued an apology for misrepresenting Murdoch's actions in the motion picture.

Also, as a result of the studio's fabrications, the full 1912 US and British inquiries were made public in 1999:  http://www.titanicinquiry.org/

Witnesses commended Murdoch's actions in trying to maneuver the Titanic around the iceberg and for his role in saving passengers by directing them into the lifeboats.  He was seen trying to unsuccessfully board one of the last collapsible lifeboats to leave the ship and floating dead in the water.

I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1081 on: December 11, 2013, 06:25:27 AM »

KelMar

« Reply #1082 on: December 11, 2013, 07:46:03 AM »

The 1997 version was computerized crap, in my opinion.  But a lot of people went to see it, that's for sure.

I bought the VHS tapes, watched it, bawled for about an hour and then never watched it again. But I have difficulty taking the time to watch even short movies once. But I definitely do want to watch and see how Clifton Webb and Barbara Stanwyck turned out!

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #1083 on: December 11, 2013, 11:07:51 PM »

Kathy, what sources did Cameron use for portraying Murdoch's behavior in his movie? I know that not too long after the movie was released, the studio issued an apology for misrepresenting Murdoch's actions in the motion picture.

I'm not sure which sources Cameron used for Murdoch's character; that's a good question. The topic of his or another officer's alleged suicide has always been an extremely heated topic. I definitely think the moviemakers owed his descendants an apology for depicting him as taking a bribe and of actually committing suicide in the film. That was a bit much, I thought. They also presented his hometown of Dalbeattie with a plaque honoring him.

Also, as a result of the studio's fabrications, the full 1912 US and British inquiries were made public in 1999:  http://www.titanicinquiry.org/

The inquiries were excerpted in a (nonfiction) fascinating, and truly funny book by Wyn Craig Wade, The Titanic: End of a Dream.  I couldn't put it down. I think it's out of print now, though.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #1084 on: December 11, 2013, 11:14:48 PM »

Witnesses commended Murdoch's actions in trying to maneuver the Titanic around the iceberg and for his role in saving passengers by directing them into the lifeboats.  He was seen trying to unsuccessfully board one of the last collapsible lifeboats to leave the ship and floating dead in the water.

Where did you read that? I believe he was last seeing trying to help unlash Collapsible B from its inverted storage spot on the deck. As far as I know, no officer except Lowe attempted to board a boat, and that's because he was ordered to by a senior officer. I don't believe Murdoch's body was ever seen, or recovered.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1085 on: December 12, 2013, 05:19:26 AM »

Where did you read that? I believe he was last seeing trying to help unlash Collapsible B from its inverted storage spot on the deck. As far as I know, no officer except Lowe attempted to board a boat, and that's because he was ordered to by a senior officer. I don't believe Murdoch's body was ever seen, or recovered.

My error, Kathy.  He did not attempt to board a collapsible lifeboat but only helped unlash one of them.  Check Wireless Operator Bride's statements.  Bride saw him in the water holding onto a broken deck chair near Collapsible B.  He was already dead.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1086 on: December 12, 2013, 05:50:03 AM »

Kathy, this genre of motion pictures dealing with terrible tragedies are always embellished with some type of drama provided by "would be witnesses."

Robert Williams Daniel, 1st Class passenger   New York Times April 20, 2012:  "Mr. Daniel said that he was positive the first officer of the Titanic committed suicide by sending a bullet in his brain before the ship foundered.  “I know it,” he declared.  “I was not more than ten feet away.  I do not believe the stories that Capt. Smith ended his life.  He stuck to his post to the last.  He was a brave man."

What stories of Captain Smith commiting suicide?

Perhaps this was one of Cameron's sources, who knows?!  This reminds me of "back and to the left...back and to the left...back and to the left."  But that was a different movie.  ;)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1087 on: December 12, 2013, 06:09:41 AM »

So that's why I like A Night To Remember.  Sure, it was rather cut and dry but it stuck to Walter Lord's research for his novel.  As I said, I'd like to believe that this is the way it happened.  Human beings in the face of disaster and death can behave this way.  As evidence of this is the band continuing to play as the Titanic sank.  How brave these officers and people were!

But for acting, I like the 1953 version of Titanic.  I ordinarily do not like soap opera melodrama but the acting of Clifton Webb, Barbara Stanwyck, Robert Wagner and Audrey Dalton was superb.  It certainly enhanced the motion picture and taught valuable lessons.  I won't say any more about that storyline as Kelley has yet to see the movie.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #1088 on: December 12, 2013, 12:05:22 PM »

Kathy, this genre of motion pictures dealing with terrible tragedies are always embellished with some type of drama provided by "would be witnesses."

Robert Williams Daniel, 1st Class passenger   New York Times April 20, 2012:  "Mr. Daniel said that he was positive the first officer of the Titanic committed suicide by sending a bullet in his brain before the ship foundered.  “I know it,” he declared.  “I was not more than ten feet away.  I do not believe the stories that Capt. Smith ended his life.  He stuck to his post to the last.  He was a brave man."

The problem with the witness statements is that there were a lot (dozens) that flatly contradicted each other. I don't have the time to dig out any examples, but there were several directly conflicting reports on whether and which officer committed suicide, the actions of Captain Smith, whether the steerage passengers were blocked from reaching the upper decks, the last song that was played on deck -- even whether the ship broke in half before it sank, although we now know it did. Some survivors insisted it broke in half; others insisted with equal fervency that it did not. Lord's book is excellent but is not considered the last word on the subject. 

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #1089 on: December 12, 2013, 12:10:11 PM »

But for acting, I like the 1953 version of Titanic.  I ordinarily do not like soap opera melodrama but the acting of Clifton Webb, Barbara Stanwyck, Robert Wagner and Audrey Dalton was superb.  It certainly enhanced the motion picture and taught valuable lessons.  I won't say any more about that storyline as Kelley has yet to see the movie.

It's still my favorite, too, and the fictitious plot did teach valuable lessons (as opposed to the 1997 fictitious plot, which brings the word dreck to mind).

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1090 on: December 12, 2013, 11:13:18 PM »

The problem with the witness statements is that there were a lot (dozens) that flatly contradicted each other. I don't have the time to dig out any examples, but there were several directly conflicting reports on whether and which officer committed suicide, the actions of Captain Smith, whether the steerage passengers were blocked from reaching the upper decks, the last song that was played on deck -- even whether the ship broke in half before it sank, although we now know it did. Some survivors insisted it broke in half; others insisted with equal fervency that it did not. Lord's book is excellent but is not considered the last word on the subject. 

I agree, Kathy.  There were several contradictory statements given at the inquest.  There's the complete inquiry posted for anyone so inclined to peruse.  But as I said, I would like to believe it happened as portrayed in A Night To Remember.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1091 on: December 12, 2013, 11:16:42 PM »

It's still my favorite, too, and the fictitious plot did teach valuable lessons (as opposed to the 1997 fictitious plot, which brings the word dreck to mind).

Right.  Even worse.  Loose, runny dreck!

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #1092 on: December 13, 2013, 03:13:46 PM »

Friday the 13th series on! Such a senseless waste of good looking young people!
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #1093 on: December 13, 2013, 06:41:12 PM »

Ah, darn, I saw your post too late, Dcazz. My son is home sick again today, and he loves shows like that, that don't get too scary (but are usually goofy): He likes the Goosebumps shows, The Haunting Hour (which is actually 30 minutes long, LOL), Deadtime Stories -- and, of course, Twilight Zone (the best of them all!).

I just checked, and we must have missed it.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1094 on: December 14, 2013, 06:25:20 AM »

I always get the Friday The 13th and Halloween movies confused.  One thing for sure, lots of teens get wasted in these movies.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #1095 on: December 14, 2013, 05:03:24 PM »

I misinterpreted your post, Dcazz; I thought you were referring to the TV series of the late 1980s.  :)

Now that I think about it further, where was my head yesterday? You posted in the "movies" thread, and of course nobody in the TV series got killed, I don't think. I must have had a serious brain cramp.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 07:20:43 PM by Normandie »

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #1096 on: December 15, 2013, 12:22:34 AM »

It's OK. I can only watch so much mayhem as such and didn't finish the movie! They were big in their time
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #1097 on: December 17, 2013, 11:42:14 PM »

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

A nice movie about a group of British retiree's who go to India for the lower cost of living but struggle to adapt! Nice movie with big stars!

I meant to post this earlier, Dave -- that sounds like a good movie. I'll have to look for it.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #1098 on: December 18, 2013, 03:42:52 AM »

I meant to post this earlier, Dave -- that sounds like a good movie. I'll have to look for it.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 03:44:59 AM by Dcazz »
Mark Twain

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #1099 on: December 18, 2013, 03:45:45 AM »

Mark Twain
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 107

Page created in 0.995 seconds with 76 queries.