Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Traveling Wilburys - revisiting  (Read 250 times)

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
Traveling Wilburys - revisiting
« on: February 12, 2024, 10:39:33 PM »

On my way home from work Handle With Care came on my playlist.  I remembered the video shows who sings -mostly George/Nelson followed by Roy/Lefty then the chorus with TP/Charlie T Jr. , Dylan/Lucky and Jeff/Otis.

Wondering and vaguely remembering some kind of documentary showing some of their creative process.

Was it like the Beatles?  Did George come to the table with Handle with Care partially and so he got the lead and they created the rest as a group sitting around?

If that theory holds up, goes without saying Tweeter and the Monkey Man origins is with Dylan.

And End of the Line, George starts but I would say TP has the most prominent role but they each have turns, even Roy who by the time they filmed a video I believe he had passed (but is in the song).  That part when they have the rocking chair with a guitar rocking while he sings is pretty emotional.

so, do we know who wrote Handle with Care and End of the Line? 

My guess is George on Handle, maybe TP on End of the Line and of course that is the origins and they all contributed ideas in each.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
Re: Traveling Wilburys - revisiting
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2024, 10:42:51 AM »

I think for Handle with Care, George brought the basic structure, chords and melody which he worked on with Jeff Lynne. And then the lyrics were a group effort.

End of the Line I understood was mainly George.

Heading for the Light was also mainly George with Jeff Lynne too.

But it’s hard to be 100% sure as they were all credited as writers on all songs and from the sounds of the sessions a lot of ideas may have been contributed on the fly.

The great Roy Orbison tune Not Alone Anymore didn’t work at first and supposedly Lynne went in and completely redid the backing track, including changing the chord progression and just kept Roy’s vocals.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2024, 11:45:43 PM »

These are great songs by a great band, wished they'd carried on Willbury-ing.

:(
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2024, 01:50:57 AM »

These are great songs by a great band, wished they'd carried on Willbury-ing.

:(

agreed, happy together too

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2024, 01:56:13 AM »

Wondering and vaguely remembering some kind of documentary showing some of their creative process.

Was this the one you're thinking of?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUQ_gj-biIc" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUQ_gj-biIc</a>

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2024, 02:08:47 AM »

A Wilbury tour would have been a hoot too. If only.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2024, 11:33:20 AM »

Was this the one you're thinking of?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUQ_gj-biIc" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUQ_gj-biIc</a>

YES!  fantastic, love the opening part, it happened because of magic, had dinner with Jeff and Roy, said I was going into the studio would you like to come by?  Bob had the studio, called him up, sure come on over.  My guitar was over at Tom's...rest is history

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2024, 08:19:05 AM »

It was such a one off. And everyone seemed to go into it with such laid back good humour. Even Bob who isn’t usually thought of as the most light hearted guy.

You’d never recreate that dynamic in the same way. And even they didn’t really. Their second album ( Volume 3 of course) wasn’t nearly as good as the first IMO.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2024, 07:06:16 PM »

It was such a one off. And everyone seemed to go into it with such laid back good humour. Even Bob who isn’t usually thought of as the most light hearted guy.

That really struck me, too. It was such a pleasure to watch people who were so clearly relaxed and enjoying themselves.

Page created in 0.635 seconds with 56 queries.