Other forums > Different Conversations

Books

<< < (132/132)

Normandie:

Funny how one's thoughts proceed and meander. After reading Euan's post about Julian Lennon's new book, I looked up Julian's White Feather Foundation, which led to a link indicating that white feathers at one time were considered a symbol of cowardice, etc., etc, and that led me to this book, which I'm very much looking forward to reading. I also recently read in a novel that some European soldiers in WWII were only 15 years of age, which made my eyes immediately fill with tears, thinking of my own son at that age. (I'm getting teary-eyed again just typing this.) I know that wasn't new, that, as just one example, in the Civil War the South sent boys that age, and even younger, to battle, but it hits harder now.

Anyway, the book:

Moogmodule:
^^

Yes we had some in Australia who lied about their age and went to WW1. The youngest was 14 and he went to Gallipolli where he died from disease.

Euan Buchan:
Started reading The Red Arrow The Official Story Of Britain’s Iconic Display Team by Wing Commander David Montenegro.

Normandie:

--- Quote from: Moogmodule on March 12, 2024, 08:55:08 AM ---Yes we had some in Australia who lied about their age and went to WW1. The youngest was 14 and he went to Gallipolli where he died from disease.

--- End quote ---

That breaks my heart.  :'(  I hope that young man had someone to comfort him while he was ill and toward the end.

--- Quote from: Euan Buchan on March 12, 2024, 10:29:17 AM ---Started reading The Red Arrow The Official Story Of Britain’s Iconic Display Team by Wing Commander David Montenegro.

--- End quote ---

That looks good!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version