Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: "...It's no good with Paul playing bass..."  (Read 2775 times)

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
"...It's no good with Paul playing bass..."
« on: July 22, 2010, 10:40:30 PM »

Does anybody has access to the full text of the letter sent by Harrison -in Liverpool- to Sutcliffe -in Hamburg-, dated 16 December 1960??  ???

The only text portion I've found is "...Come home sooner, as if we get a new bass player for the time being, it will be crumby as he will have to learn everything. It's no good with Paul playing bass, we'd decided, that is if he had some kind of bass and amp to play on!..."

Any clues??  ???

What seems clear is that a discussion obviously preceded this letter within the group, whether Paul the bass part of Stuart to take over temporarily or whether one should look for a back-up bassist. And as Chas Newby could get a borrowed Höfner (=500/5??) bass, the choice became obvious...

Best!!  ;)

Xosé
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 10:44:51 PM by Xose »

Joost

• That Means a Lot
Re: "...It's no good with Paul playing bass..."
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 10:25:20 AM »

http://www.sothebys.com/app/live/lot/LotDetail.jsp?lot_id=QFZ4

Do you know how credible the authenticity of those letters is? Cause I recently read on a Beach Boys forum that Sotheby's had a stack of letters by "Brian Wilson" from 1964 in their possession, but that they eventually had to withdraw them when they found out they were full of historical inaccuracies and that the handwriting didn't look like Brian's at all...

Bobber

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 10:34:54 AM »

They usually come with a letter of authenticity (sp?). And looking at the hammered price, at least the buyer thought it was real. ha2ha

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 11:08:02 AM »

http://www.sothebys.com/app/live/lot/LotDetail.jsp?lot_id=QFZ4

Excellent Bobber!! ;)

Now the point is to find out what did George write down on those pieces of paper...  roll:)

Xosé

Bobber

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 11:15:16 AM »

You can zoom in and with some good eyes you can read it. Problem is I'm missing a page.

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 01:27:19 PM »

This is all I can do, although there still are some lacunae:

"...25, Upton Green,
Speke,
Liverpool, 24,
Friday Dec 16th.

Dear Stu,

I hope you are going on ok there with Astrid. I arrived ok (24 hours exactly), but spent a packet on porters, taxis, etc.

I went to see your mum and dad, the day after I arrived, and they were very pleased to see me. Your dad doesn't seem too to mind the idea of you being engaged, but your mum seemed a little disappointed in you, (that is as far as I could make out). Your new home is fab, and your dad was busy adding finishing ... to the paint work. I was shown your room to be, which is about the same size of the room you & John occupied at Gambier, and your mum has moved in all your paintings photos - record player – bed etc. I like the painting you did of ...

...I saw John last night for the first [MISSING PAGE: time he has be (sic) home, although he's been back for a week or so. He never let on to us!...

...I was at the 'Jac' last night...

...we have bookings for Christmas Eve, Boxing day, New years Eve...

... Can't you, or won't you come home sooner, as if we get a new bass player for the time being, it will be crumby, as he will have to learn everything, and its no good with Paul playing bass, we've decided, that is if he had some kind of bass & amp to play on!...

... So how about coming home son! This hasn't been talked about with the others in the group, and is just my opinion...

...If you aren't coming home for awhile, can you send some money to keep Frank Hessey]
laughing. I want to get an Echo for Christmas, £34, or £6 down, the rest when Frank catches me, so if all my other stuff is up to dak (sic) I will probably be able to get it with no guarantee. I believe Gerry has one, only he ruins it by using it on every number.

I bought Eddies 'Singing to My Baby' LP, Man of Mystery, Lucille, Only the Lonely, Like Strangers, (Everly's new one), Perfidia, (Ventures new one), and may buy an instrumental called Chariot. I am learning everything I can get my hands on now!

Anyway Stu, get home here smartish, and remember me to the wife, Jurgend, + the blonde one as well. Remember, the trip is quite good even alone, and you too can be in Ullett Rd in exactly 24 hrs!

Cheerio from

George

P.S. All groups here have Fender & Burns solid guitars & Bass & Echo's on their amps, so we want to be at our best as soon as we start spieling.

Jim Gretty also send his love.

(This address was on the back of the envelope you sent, so I hope it is the right one)..."

Could anybody help to fill the lacunae??  ???

Xosé
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 01:33:50 PM by Xose »

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 46 queries.