Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Bootlegs (also posted in Buying, etc forum)  (Read 2839 times)

Bootlegs (also posted in Buying, etc forum)
« on: December 13, 2004, 12:06:20 PM »

I posted this in the Buying, Selling, Exchanging forum because I wasn't sure if it was proper etiquette to talk about them on the main forums... But I figured that forum isn't very popular and doesn't see too much "action," so I'm taking my chances.  :)

Prequel: I have been searching and waiting and searching almost forever for these bootleg titles! So if anyone can help, I'll be very appreciative!

Now to the post:

I've been looking virtually everywhere over the net to obtain some Beatles bootlegs, because I have none. I have been a fan for a while now and I'm wearing my patience thin with all of the studio stuff I have (which is everything, plus the entire anthology set and a lot of their solo stuff)...

I am mainly interested in studio sessions from 67 and up until the break-up.

I am mainly after these titles, though:

A Doll's House - 25 More While Album Mixes (Odeon)
The Long Lost Demos (Mongoose Records)
The Long Lost Leftovers (Mongoose Records)
Abbey Road Outtakes (Bow Bells)
Strawberry Fields Forever (Condor)
Strawberry Lane (Silent Sea)
The Alternate Magical Mystery Tour (Pear Records)
The Lost Pepperland Reel and Other Rarities (Vigotone)
White Sessions (Silent Sea)

I don't have any Beatle bootlegs to trade, but I do have Led Zeppelin shows and several DVDs to trade. Or we could do a B&P

I am truely hoping this will be my last stop and someone will be able to answer my pleading call! 

Just drop me a PM if anyone would like to TRADE CD-Rs and I will surely get back to you as soon as I can.

Thanks so much everyone!

- P.L.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Re: Bootlegs (also posted in Buying, etc forum)
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 12:07:09 PM »

I'm also looking for the best and most complete Get Back sessions set if anyone can help me out with that. :)

Thanks so very very much!

Bruno

• A Thousand Pages
  • The choice is yours, don't be late
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 02:49:59 PM »

do you know how to use bit torrent? there are BT websites with some bootlegs every now and then

---powered by Moondogs®---

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 03:44:05 PM »

Yeah, I'm an avid user of BitTorrent, but these days (especially with Sharingthegroove.org gone) it's hard to find anyone that puts up Beatles stuff... Plus I want to get back to the way I used to get them, through snail mail trading... I like it a lot more for some reason...

But thanks for trying to help :), I appreciate it.

Bruno

• A Thousand Pages
  • The choice is yours, don't be late
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2004, 04:13:38 AM »

[quote by=PaulLennon68 link=Blah.pl?b=cc,m=1102939580,s=3 date=1102952645]Yeah, I'm an avid user of BitTorrent, but these days (especially with Sharingthegroove.org gone) it's hard to find anyone that puts up Beatles stuff... Plus I want to get back to the way I used to get them, through snail mail trading... I like it a lot more for some reason...

But thanks for trying to help :), I appreciate it.[/quote]

try easytree.org, they have beatles stuff every now and then

---powered by Moondogs®---

Paperbackwriter

• A Beginning
  • The Beatles Forever
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2004, 01:24:29 PM »

I have an old vinyl boot called Abbey Road outtakes, and I like it much. There is for example a complete version of Her Majesty on it and some differnt mixes too. Side 2 is a session of McCartney together with Donovan (The folk singer).
But I never saw that on CD. My vinyl version I bought in 1979, so I don't know whether it is availible today. greetings, Klaus

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2004, 01:32:51 PM »

[quote by=Paperbackwriter link=Blah.pl?b=cc,m=1102939580,s=6 date=1103030669]I have an old vinyl boot called Abbey Road outtakes, and I like it much. There is for example a complete version of Her Majesty on it and some differnt mixes too. Side 2 is a session of McCartney together with Donovan (The folk singer).
But I never saw that on CD. My vinyl version I bought in 1979, so I don't know whether it is availible today. greetings, Klaus[/quote]

That sounds great. Welcome Klaus. E-mule is quite a good site for Bootlegs.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Paperbackwriter

• A Beginning
  • The Beatles Forever
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2004, 11:16:05 PM »

Hi An Apple Beatle, welcome to you too. I'll take a view on e-mule, thanx for the tip.
While we're talking about boots, I'll give you a warning: two month ago I bought a boot called the Beatles Live at Shea stadium, and I thought it would be the offical EMI LP now on CD, released on boot, because EMI don't do it. In fact, these are the complete two concerts (1964/1965) they played at Shea, but the sound is not the George Martin Mix, it seems to be a self recorded version, and the tape speed varifies several times, so it's no real fun to listen to it. We have to wait, since EMI brings the record remastered on CD. By luck, I own my old vinyl version and I like it much. I can't understand the company's decision, not to release it on CD.

Bobber

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2006, 12:30:33 PM »

Ah, those were the days....

By the way, the Shea Stadium Concert was overdubbed later, wasn't it?

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2006, 01:43:47 PM »

Quote from: Bobber
Ah, those were the days....

By the way, the Shea Stadium Concert was overdubbed later, wasn't it?

From here: http://www.beatlemania.ca/toursworld/Shea.htm (more anecdotes and descriptions and nice pics too)

"On the documentary film The Beatles At Shea Stadium
(taken from The Complete Beatles Chronicles, by Mark Lewisohn).

Together with the helicopter ride and backstage sequences, the show was filmed by Sullivan Productions (Ed Sullivan's company) in association with NEMS Entreprises (Brian Epstein's), and released as a documentary film called The Beatles At Shea Stadium. Its world premiere occured on Tuesday 1 March 1966 (BBC1). Not all of the Beatles' Shea set is in the film - She's A Woman and Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby are both omitted - and what is included was subjected to audio sweetening back in London. Additionaly, throughout the film, the Beatles are heard via voice-overs, recorded by the US broadcaster Larry Kane.

Just as it would be naive to believe that the sound on live-concert rock music albums is ever truly live and undoctored, so the same is true for live-concert films. In the case of the Beatles' momentous 15 August 1965 Shea Stadium concert, the audio tapes specifically revealed not only musical flaws on the Beatles' part but also technical imperfections caused by the sheer size of the venue, the high-decibel screaming and the less than state-of-the-art mobile recording equipment around in 1965. To have screened unaltered such a high-profile film on peak-time television would have done the group a disservice.
So it was that, amid some secrecy, the Beatles came to CTS Studios in central London on 5 January 1966, to "sweeten" the soundtrack, by whatever means necessary, of their in-production television film The Beatles At Shea Stadium.
The session began with Paul only, overdubbing new bass tracks onto Dizzy Miss Lizzy, Can't Buy Me Love, Baby's In Black and I'm Down. Onto this latter song John also overdubbed a new organ track.

More drastic repair work was then effected by the group as a whole, with entirely new recordings completed for two songs: I Feel Fine (done at George Martin's specific request) and Help! The Beatles strove to re-create a live-concert sound with these recordings rather than their more typical EMI studio feel, and they also had to match carefully their singing and playing with the on-screen images, hence the use of CTS, the premier audio-to-film dubbing studio in London. (CTS is an abbreviation for Cine Tele Sound.)

To fix Act Naturally the Beatles did nothing: the film's post-production team merely replaced the Shea recording with the Beatles' disc version (recorded 17 June 1965), sync-ing it to the picture by means of audience cutaways and even, in places, cuts in the music. (Intentionally or otherwise, one moment - where Ringo's vocal is evident but his mouth is closed - was left in the film uncorrected.)

Documentation also suggests that John wished to record a new version of Ticket To Ride, and that it was done during this CTS session, but close study of the film indicates that the original Shea version was used (although perhaps a little instrumental overdubbing was effected).

Additionally, George Martin desired a new recording of Twist And Shout, but there wasn't time to do this. Instead, the post-production team used the unreleased 30 August 1965 Hollywood Bowl concert recording to bolster the sound, causing - in one place - John's live vocal to be double - tracked. In fact, the Bowl recording was used extensively during the film's post-production processes for recordings of the screaming audience, especially on the two all-new London recordings.

No doctoring appears to have been done to either She's A Woman or Everybody's Trying To Be Baby, suggesting that, by this time, they had already been excluded from the film. They were, however, included in an early print which Epstein received from Sullivan Productions around 5 November 1965, which then ran to 54 minutes. By January, as it would be for the transmission, the film's duration had been cut to just under 48 minutes."

From here: http://www.irproductions.com/sb/beatles/shea-candlestick.txt

"Edited Shea Stadium Concert - 15 Aug 1965

1. Band Members Introduction (unknown) 02:07
Shea Stadium, 15 Aug 1965
The Beatles introduced by Ed Sullivan

2. Twist And Shout (Russell/Medley) 01:24
Los Angeles 30 Aug 1965
Recorded at the Hollywood Bowl and presented on TV as being recored at Shea Stadium.

3. I Feel Fine (Lennon/McCartney) 2:20
New Version 5 Jan 1966
The Beatles completely new version, recorded 5 January 1966 at CTS Studios, London. Crowd noise from 30 August 1965, Hollywood Bowl.

4. Dizzy Miss Lizzy (Williams) 3:14
Paul added bass to this live track, 5 January 1966 at CTS Studios, London.

5. Ticket To Ride (Lennon/McCartney) 2:31
Some overdubbing may have been done at 5 January 1966, CTS Studios, London.

6. Can't Buy Me Love (Lennon/McCartney) 2:38

7. Baby's In Black (Lennon/McCartney) 2:37

8. A Hard Day's Night (Lennon/McCartney) 3:13
Shea Stadium, 15 Aug 1965 with commentary from John/Paul/&Brian

9. Help! (Lennon/McCartney) 2:35
New Version 5 Jan 1966
Completely new version, recorded 5 January 1966 at CTS Studios, London.
Crowd noise from 30 August 1965, Hollywood Bowl.

10. I'm Down (Lennon/McCartney) 3:12
Paul added bass to this live track and John added organ. Done 5 January 1966 at CTS Studios, London.
Track ends with helicopter noise."

Some more comments

here: http://www.bootlegzone.com/album.php?name=spank109

or here: http://vigotone.com/spank/spank109.htm

Page created in 0.419 seconds with 55 queries.