Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 42

Author Topic: The Beach Boys  (Read 152034 times)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
Re: The Beach Boys
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2008, 09:56:05 AM »

It seems that the chances of a Beach Boys reunion are growing... Bruce Johnston has always been against it but has now said that he would like to do a few reunion shows and a forthcoming DVD... And on the upcoming Al Jardine solo album, there will be a track with vocal contributions from the late Carl Wilson (from an older outtake), Brian Wilson and Mike Love (both newly recorded)... So that's 4/5 of the original Beach Boys line-up... Most remarkable thing about this is that Love fired Jardine from the band ten years ago and the two hadn't worked together since...
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2008, 06:21:16 PM »

like somebody have said here, they are an american band. I was never into american bands. I think The Beach Boys are great after all, but their music is far from rock'n'roll. too much san francisco/miami/los angeles/bahamas/hot rods/surfing/beach for me etc they are too sunny. sorry.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2008, 01:50:15 PM »

First of all: sorry if it seems like I'm trying to correct everything everyone posts here...

Quote from: 1458
their music is far from rock'n'roll.
I don't agree. Songs like "Fun, Fun, Fun" and "Surfin' USA" were obvious Chuck Berry rip offs. Carl Wilson was an excellent rock & roll guitarist. And if anyone ever lived the rock & roll lifestyle, it was Dennis Wilson.

Quote from: 1458
too much san francisco/miami/los angeles/bahamas/hot rods/surfing/beach for me etc they are too sunny. sorry.
It's a misconception that The Beach Boys were mostly about surfing, beaches and hot rods and stuff like that. They were in their first 3-4 years, but they stopped making songs about those subjects after 1964. To say that The Beach Boys were "I Get Around", "Surfin' USA" and "Little Deuce Coupe" is the same thing as saying that The Beatles were "I Want To Hold Your Hand", "Please Please Me" and "She Loves You". The Beach Boys' songs from 1965-1966 were mostly very introvert and often dealt with relationships and self-reflection, the 1966-1967 material was mostly very abstract lyrics and later on they did songs about anything from the environment to transcendental meditation and from student demonstrations to pedicure (!).

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2008, 02:01:06 PM »

Quote from: 56
First of all: sorry if it seems like I'm trying to correct everything everyone posts here...

I don't agree. Songs like "Fun, Fun, Fun" and "Surfin' USA" were obvious Chuck Berry rip offs. Carl Wilson was an excellent rock & roll guitarist. And if anyone ever lived the rock & roll lifestyle, it was Dennis Wilson.

It's a misconception that The Beach Boys were mostly about surfing, beaches and hot rods and stuff like that. They were in their first 3-4 years, but they stopped making songs about those subjects after 1964. To say that The Beach Boys were "I Get Around", "Surfin' USA" and "Little Deuce Coupe" is the same thing as saying that The Beatles were "I Want To Hold Your Hand", "Please Please Me" and "She Loves You". The Beach Boys' songs from 1965-1966 were mostly very introvert and often dealt with relationships and self-reflection, the 1966-1967 material was mostly very abstract lyrics and later on they did songs about anything from the environment to transcendental meditation and from student demonstrations to pedicure (!).

maybe you're right. I am bit of critic this week  :) , so don't be surprised. like I said, The Beach Boys are great, their albums may have influenced to some of The Beatles albums, but but but you know... okay they were rock'n'roll they were, not, they ARE influential, but I still listen only to the british bands. sorry again. although I was maybe wrong about too much hotrods. I love hotrods  ;D

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2008, 04:11:27 AM »

brian was ahead of his time...i love lana and farmers daughter...
BP8BI3yxEf8

farmers daughter i believe is sung by mikey but i really enjoy brians surfer girl too...i thought i preferred brian over mike but sometimes mike is so good....
but then i see this and bri wins again...
iFS6C9OxNtM

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2008, 04:21:09 AM »

ZAvCmS9SDEE

damn joost is it just me or did paul totally rip brian off on that fireman idea or what????????remember brians fascination with the elements??????years ahead...

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2008, 04:26:21 AM »

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2008, 04:30:36 AM »

i would say the b section of my albums is the most expanse because of the beatles and the beach boys....i never tired of the beach boys either...i really love thier oldest stuff but they still have and will always make good music....

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2008, 01:58:28 PM »

Quote from: 284
farmers daughter i believe is sung by mikey but i really enjoy brians surfer girl too...i thought i preferred brian over mike but sometimes mike is so good....
but then i see this and bri wins again...

Farmer's Daughter is also Brian. Mike never sung such high parts, he was always the lowest (and most nasal) voice in the blend. Fleetwood Mac recorded a cover version of that song, by the way.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2008, 02:05:23 PM »

i really love thier oldest stuff but they still have and will always make good music....

The Beach Boys (as a group) actually haven't released any new material since 1992 (apart from backing vocals a country & western tribute album)... And if you ask me, I think they released just about a dozen decent songs since the mid-70s...

Dennis released some really good solo material in the late 70s though... Brian's recent stuff is pretty amazing, I think he's currently better than he's ever been since he started his solo carreer in 1987... Al's upcoming solo album is gonna be OK I think... Carl's and Mike's solo albums were absolutely dreadful though... Mike recorded four solo albums in his life, three of them remain unreleased because every single record company rejected them, the one that got released didn't do anything... Mike was definately a very important part of the Beach Boys puzzle, but he's just hopeless without Brian's creative imput...

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2008, 04:16:44 PM »

Joost, I'm always so impressed by your knowledge of the Beach Boys. You really know everything there is to know about them. Someday I hope to know as much about the Beatles as you do about the Beach Boys.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2008, 05:45:36 PM »

I think it's mostly a sign that I have too much spare time... But thanks anyway!  :)

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2008, 11:30:51 PM »

Quote from: 56

The Beach Boys (as a group) actually haven't released any new material since 1992 (apart from backing vocals a country & western tribute album)... And if you ask me, I think they released just about a dozen decent songs since the mid-70s...

Dennis released some really good solo material in the late 70s though... Brian's recent stuff is pretty amazing, I think he's currently better than he's ever been since he started his solo carreer in 1987... Al's upcoming solo album is gonna be OK I think... Carl's and Mike's solo albums were absolutely dreadful though... Mike recorded four solo albums in his life, three of them remain unreleased because every single record company rejected them, the one that got released didn't do anything... Mike was definately a very important part of the Beach Boys puzzle, but he's just hopeless without Brian's creative imput...
you didn't like carl and the passions with a host of peeps????
on a side bar check out alice donut...war pigs
SxJMZQw7Gyc

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2009, 12:33:57 AM »

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2009, 01:02:22 PM »

you didn't like carl and the passions with a host of peeps????

The Carl and the Passions album is from 1972, so that's well before the mid 70s.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2009, 01:36:56 PM »

so you can't comment????i'm done..... :-/

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2009, 03:04:56 PM »

What do you want me to comment on? I don't see what's the problem?

I said I think the Beach Boys didn't release much good material after the mid 70s. I like pretty much everything they did before the mid 70s. And that includes "Carl and the Passions", since it's from 1972. It's certainly not one of their best albums and it also lacks in quantity. It's just eight songs, including two, "Here She Comes" and "Hold On Dear Brother", that really aren't Beach Boys songs (they were written and mostly performed by two former members of The Flame, Blondie Chaplin and Ricky Fataar, who both joined The Beach Boys in 1972 and left in 1973 and 1974, respectively).

But the album certainly has a few wonderful songs. "All This Is That" is absolutely stunning and definately one of the group's most underrated songs. "Cuddle Up" is very moving, one of my favorite Dennis Wilson songs. "He Come Down" is fun. "Marcella" is decent and for some reason one of Brian Wilson's personal favorites. I don't really care for the two Chaplin/Fataar songs (I don't really like The Flame either), or "You Need a Mess of Help to Stand Alone", and "Make It Good" might be my least favorite released Dennis Wilson song.

"Carl and the Passions" is by the way often seen as 'the four singles album': it has two Chaplin/Fataar songs, two Dennis Wilson songs, two songs written by Brian Wilson (who is completely absent as a performer on this album) and manager Jack Rieley and two transcendental meditation-themed song by Mike Love and Al Jardine.

Interesting detail about Chaplin and Fataar: Chaplin has been playing in the Rolling Stones' live band since the 90s and Fataar (although he's originally a drummer) played the 'George Harrison' role in The Rutles.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2009, 07:02:14 PM »

Quote from: 59
I really like everything they did.  They are, after all, "An American Band."

:)

Hi, can someone name these boys from L-R for me? Especially, I didn't know one of them sang only, no instruments.

And maybe a mini bio for each guy ... Dennis is the drummer, and he died surfing? ... Did another one die too? Is Mike Love the shorter one, and which guys are related?

Thanks!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2009, 07:56:30 PM »

nice try peacemaker......god loves you.... ;)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2009, 09:39:09 PM »

Quote from: 568

Hi, can someone name these boys from L-R for me? Especially, I didn't know one of them sang only, no instruments.

And maybe a mini bio for each guy ... Dennis is the drummer, and he died surfing? ... Did another one die too? Is Mike Love the shorter one, and which guys are related?

Thanks!

From left to right: Dennis Wilson, Al Jardine, Carl Wilson, Brian Wilson, Mike Love.

Mike never played an instrument, apart from the theremin on "Good Vibrations" on stage and some occasional notes on his saxophone. Dennis did drown in 1983, but not while surfing. He was drunk and wanted to go diving for some valuable things he'd thrown in the water before where his boat used to lie. He found a silver photo frame, but drowned while looking for more stuff. The other one that died is Carl, he died of lung cancer in 1998. The three Wilsons are brothers, Mike Love is their cousin and Al Jardine was a friend of Brian's from high school.

Bio's:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Wilson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Jardine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Wilson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Wilson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Love
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 42

Page created in 0.901 seconds with 83 queries.