Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: A Beatles Survey  (Read 7920 times)

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
A Beatles Survey
« on: February 19, 2009, 02:01:56 AM »

I don't recall seeing a Beatles survey anywhere on the board, but if there is, the mods can merge this.  I found this survey somewhere else, but I modified it somewhat.  (Also, I've noticed a lot of the questions have been asked in various threads before, but it'd be nice to keep people's thoughts all in one place.)  

Just copy and paste into a reply box, fill out your answers, and enjoy.

How did you discover the Beatles, and when?

Which Beatles period (early, mid or late) do you prefer and why?

Which album is your favorite and why?

Which album is your least favorite and why?

What are your favorite Beatles songs?  (Keep it to 10 at the most.)

What are your most disliked Beatles songs?

How do you feel about each Beatles film?
- A Hard Day's Night:

- Help!:

- Magical Mystery Tour:  

- Yellow Submarine:  

- Let It Be:  

Who's your favorite Beatle?  Why?

What's your favorite solo John song?

What's your favorite solo Paul song?

What's your favorite solo George song?

What's your favorite solo Ringo song?

Do you think Yoko broke up the Beatles?

What do you love about the Beatles besides their music?

Are the Beatles actually your favorite band?

Do you have any controversial opinions about the Beatles?

Name your favorite Beatle-related memory.

Show off a favorite Beatle and/or individual photo here:
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

HeyJude18

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Love and Peace are eternal" - John Lennon
    • le blog
Re: A Beatles Survey
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 04:14:14 AM »

I was first introduced to these four wonderful boys by my dad.  When I was little we only really listened to "oldies" (the town I lived in had 2 English radio stations).  This was the early '90s.

I think my ultimate would be the mid to later Beatles.  I think that by this time they had grown as artists and they had had evolved and changed music.  They're amazing!!

I have a few different favorites - Sgt. Peppers, Revolver and Abbey Road.  I think that these ones show the greatest amount of growth.  They have the songs that aren't totally over played

I can't think of one that is my least favorite.  I like all of them for different reasons, it's just some stand out more than others.

No particular order to this:
- Hey Jude
- I Want You (She's So Heavy)
- I Am The Walrus
- Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
- Across The Universe
- All You Need Is Love
- A Day In The Life
- In My Life
- Love To You
- Tomorrow Never Knows

Not really a fan of I'm So Tired and The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill.  Don't really like When I'm 64 or Back In The USSR - they remind me of a guy that things turned bad with

- A Hard Day's Night:
Love it!!!

- Help!:
Love it more!!  Kind of a quirky humor

- Magical Mystery Tour:
Very Python-esque humour.  You could really tell that the drugs were a heavy influence.

- Yellow Submarine:
Never seen the whole thing :-/

- Let It Be:
Never seen this at all, it's probably on YouTube, I just haven't looked it up yet...

John <3 He's said everything that I've ever wanted to.  His music has actually helped me through so many hard times like I never though music could.  It has changed me, it gave me hope and I love it.  "Nowhere you can be that isn't where you're ment to be"

Imagine, of course.  And I like Jealous Guy, Gimme Some Truth, Working Class Hero, Watching The Wheels, Beautiful Boy, Instant Karma, Woman...

I love all of C&C :)  As well as Electric Arguments - Two Magpies is starting to grow on me

When I was little it was Got My Mind Set On You.  Then when I was going through my spiritual phase it was My Sweet Lord.  Unfortunately I haven't really heard much of George's solo stuff.

Again, I haven't heard much.  I do like Liverpool 8

No, there were other factors as well.  I think that she's basically an easy scapegoat.

Ok, other than the music... you can't help that they're sexy as all get out!!!!  They brought out different styles of music and different political messages to the public

Come hell or high water they will always be my favorite band!!!  I will love them forever <3

I'm not into that Beatles-slash or anything that you see all over Live Journal...

Going to the Dakota and Strawberry Fields in New York City.  It was amazing, I literally cried.  It's something to see pictures of it, but to be there, to walk the same streets that the man who has changed your life has walked those same streets, it's overwhelming.

print screened off of a YouTube video

RAIN-ed on: July 17, 2010; STARR-strucked: July 23, 2010; PAUL-inated: August 8, 2010

A Day In The Life

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 06:38:03 AM »

I was about 12 years old, and my friend was telling me about them. He lent me a tape cassette (Rock & Roll Music Vol. 2?). I listened to all their early stuff for a long time, then discovered the later stuff. Now I'm 30, so I guess I've been listening to them for 17 years!

Definitely the late period, simply because of how creative and experimental the music became. They really pushed (and broke through) all boundaries! And I love it because it's all so trippy. :)

It's a tough question, but I think I'd probably say Abbey Road. I like the production, the medleys towards the end, and the bitter-sweet fact that it was their last studio album. But I really love the White Album, as well as Revolver/Rubber Soul.

Probably one of the first couple albums, with all the cover songs.

1. A Day in the Life
2. I am the Walrus
3. Strawberry Fields Forever
4. Hey Bulldog
5. Get Back
6. Tomorrow Never Knows
7. In My Life
8. I'm Only Sleeping
9. I've Got a Feeling
10. Happiness is a Warm Gun

The worst one ever is "Don't Pass Me By" by Ringo! His other ones are pretty bad too.

- A Hard Day's Night: Great songs, lots of funny dialogue and acting. Love it!

- Help!: Okay, but not as good as A Hard Day's Night. Good songs, though.

- Magical Mystery Tour: I've never seen it! But I love the Walrus video segment! I also like the video for Hello Goodbye, but I'm not sure whether this is in the movie.

- Yellow Submarine: Haven't seen it in a long time, but I think it was okay. Need to see it again to be sure.

- Let It Be: Haven't seen the whole thing in a long time, but I love the rooftop performance. I think this movie has scenes with them arguing, which is interesting (if painful) to watch.

JOHN LENNON! I love this man. He is my hero. I just read his new biography, and it was amazing. He is just such an interesting artist, and so likeable. He was far from perfect, but that just made him more interesting. Also, I think he had the best songs and the best solo career.

Instant Karma! [size=9](Other favourites are Jealous Guy, Gimme Some Truth, I Don't Wanna Be a Soldier, Mother, Beautiful Boy, and Watching the Wheels).
[/size]
Band on the Run (and Uncle Albert is very close).

My Sweet Lord

None (but I love him in Caveman when I was a kid!)

No. I think it was mostly John who wanted out (and possibly used Yoko to create a little tension), but they would have broken up soon regardless.

Their various hairstyles throughout the years. Also, the titanic influence they had on rock and pop music.

Yes, I don't think anyone else can truly claim that title.

Not really.

Discovering their music as a teenager, and then all the other music I like. They changed my life!

Bobber

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 08:19:27 AM »

Quote from: 1620
I don't recall seeing a Beatles survey anywhere on the board,

Half the board is made of it.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 08:41:24 AM »

Late November-early December 2000. I was 13 and in 7th grade when I saw The Beatles "1" commercial on tv. The rest is history.

Mid-late because I enjoy the songs of those time periods more than the early stuff.

Revolver...great album from start to finish.

Yellow Submarine because there's only a couple of actual Beatle songs on there and the rest aren't from the band.

It varies so here are a few of them. Day in the Life, I'm Only Sleeping, Fixing A Hole, Things We Said Today, Taxman, Helter Skelter.

Long and Winding Road, Revolution 9

- A Hard Day's Night: Ahead of its time. A Classic.

- Help!: Hilarious.

- Magical Mystery Tour:  Weird but enjoyable.

- Yellow Submarine:  Funny from what I remember. I've only seen it once.

- Let It Be:  Never seen it.

Who's your favorite Beatle? Paul  Why? We have the same name, we're both left handed and I enjoy his music more.

What's your favorite solo John song? Working Class Hero or I'm Losing You

What's your favorite solo Paul song? I can't choose A favorite so I'll go with one of my many favorites...Cafe On The Left Bank.

What's your favorite solo George song? Looking For My Life

What's your favorite solo Ringo song? Don't really have one...sorry Ringo.

Do you think Yoko broke up the Beatles? I think she played a part.

What do you love about the Beatles besides their music? Their wit and their hair.

Are the Beatles actually your favorite band? They were...then I discovered Jimmy McCulloch so now it's Wings 1975-1977, any other band Jimmy was in, then The Beatles.

Do you have any controversial opinions about the Beatles? No.

Name your favorite Beatle-related memory. Seeing Paul McCartney in concert.

;D

In all seriousness...

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 10:49:43 AM »

Of course I've been familiar with their hits for as long as I can remember. I bought my first Beatles albums ("Rubber Soul", "Revolver" and two budget CDs with pre-Parlophone recordings) when I was about 15-16 I think. Then I got into my 'punk phase' and sold most of my pop CDs, including my Beatles albums. About 6-7 years ago I got the "Anthology 2" double CD because I thought it would be interesting to hear demos and alternate versions of all those familiar songs. I listened to that set a lot and of course it didn't take long before I had to get the original versions of the songs too. I got their complete discography in a matter of months.

Without any doubt, mid period for me. I think The Beatles were creatively at their absolute peak in 1967. They wrote some of their best songs, did some of their most ground breaking work and surely had their prettiest arrangements (an arrangement can make or break a song) around that time.

"Magical Mystery Tour", it simply has the best song material.

Obviously "Yellow Submarine", and if that doesn't count I'll go for "Help!". Besides "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away" I don't think it has any really exceptional songs. OK, it's got "Yesterday", but I've just heard that one way too many times I guess.

"Penny Lane", "Here Comes The Sun", "Let It Be", "The Long And Winding Road", "Michelle", "Girl".

"Wild Honey Pie", "Yer Blues", "I Want You (She's So Heavy)".

Don't really like any of them, to be honest.

Who's your favorite Beatle? Why?
Definately Paul. I think he was easily the best songwriter in the group and probably a nicer person than John.

"Jealous Guy".

"Once Upon A Long Ago".

"What Is Life".

Haven't really got one.

No.

Their legend.

No, that's The Beach Boys. By a landslide, actually. The Beatles are second, just ahead of No Use For A Name.

Plenty... I think John was a great but nevertheless overrated songwriter. I think the "White Album" is overrated. I love "The Long And Winding Road". I think "Sgt. Pepper" can't hold a candle to "Pet Sounds". I don't understand why everybody dislikes "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da".

Nothing in particulair.

The two greatest geniuses in pop music ever:

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 01:05:41 AM »

Quote from: 63

Okay, you do have a point there.   :P

I discovered the Beatles' music from a teacher who showed us "A Hard Day's Night," and I fell for them so hard.  This was back around 1993.

I think their mid to late periods are best, like 1966 to The End.  Their music seemed to get much more sophisticated...and I'm sure the drugs helped too.  But I like their early stuff a lot as well.

"Abbey Road," most likely; I just love the music and flow of side 2 (if you have it on vinyl).

"Yellow Submarine" maybe, because half of it isn't really Beatles music.  Also "Beatles For Sale," which isn't a bad album actually, but I think it's their only proper album where they're not moving forward musically.  (Well, with the exception of John's Bob Dylan influence.)

In no particular order (and my mind changes a lot anyway):

"Let It Be"
"Hey Jude"
"Strawberry Fields Forever"
"Something"
"Penny Lane"
"She Loves You"
"Here, There, and Everywhere"
"If I Fell"
"In My Life"
"Across the Universe"

"Revolution 9", "Don't Pass Me By", "Wild Honey Pie," "Eight Days A Week", etc.

- A Hard Day's Night:  The best Beatles film, IMO.  Great writing and a hilarious supporting cast, not to mention wonderful music and a chance to relive Beatlemania vicariously.

- Help!:  Funny with enjoyable music, but the boys seem to get overshadowed by everything else that's going on in the film.

- Magical Mystery Tour:  Just plain weird.  My husband loves this movie very much but I just can't get it.  It's still good to watch for music videos.

- Yellow Submarine:  I've finally learned how to appreciate this movie.  I used to have the biggest hangup about the Beatles not actually being in the film or voicing the characters, but after I got over that, I realized that this film is a gem.  It's brilliantly animated and very charming and funny.

- Let It Be:  I like this movie even if it is sort of a breakup documentary.  It's a great item for Beatles history.

Paul--for his amazing vocal range and his musical talent.  Plus, his voice is very calming for me.  It doesn't hurt that he's so ridiculously good-looking too.  I also really like that he's a great father and genuinely cares about animals.

John is my second favorite Beatle for his music and his cleverness and humor.  I never knew him but yet I miss him all the time.

"Grow Old With Me," "Crippled Inside."  I like both tender John and mean John.  LOL.

"My Love," "Tug of War," "Every Night," "Dance 'Til We're High."

"What is Life," "Wah-Wah."

(Poor Ringo, no one seems to like his solo work.)  "Photograph," "It Don't Come Easy."  And "The No-No Song" cracks me up every time.

I think she played an indirect role in their breakup, but it would've happened anyway even without her.  The guys had to grow up and move on, no matter what.

Their looks, ever-changing fashions, wittiness, and (usually) positive message for the world.

They always have been for 15 years.

I'm not sure why people like "Ticket to Ride" so much.  Oh, well.

Discovering the Beatles for the first time and learning about them.  It felt so much like falling in love, and I'm so glad I'm still in love with them.  Also, visiting Abbey Road and seeing Ringo Starr in concert were awesome.  But I had to mention my memory of discovering them first, since I wouldn't be here today without that special experience.

I can't choose, so I'll pick one I really like:

SemolinaPilchard

• A Beginning
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 01:47:24 AM »

I've been around Beatles music since as long as I can remember. My parents (especially my dad) were both huge fans and constantly played their records for my siblings and me. Songs like Blackbird and Yellow Submarine were as familiar for me as Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and Mary Had A Little Lamb. But I was about 14 when I explored their music more in-depth. I "borrowed" my brother's CD of Abbey Road and played it over and over until it was so covered in scratches it wouldn't play anymore. I was hooked. I immediately went out and bought all their other CD's.

That's difficult to say. If I had to pick I guess it would be "Mid-Beatles" around 1965 or 1966 It was just such a creatively explosive time for them, starting with Rubber Soul and Revolver which led to of course Sgt. Pepper's and the White Album.

Abbey Road. It may be because it was my "first" album, but to this day I listen to it more than any of their others. It's just perfection for me from start to finish. (yes even Maxwell's Silver Hammer :))

Magical Mystery Tour. I don't know why exactly, I'm just not too crazy about it. But it still had some great songs on there (I Am The Walrus, Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields) I'm of the belief that there's no such thing as a "bad" Beatles album, just lesser ones.

Just a few of them. In no real order

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 01:54:50 AM »

^  Great pic.  Here's another from the same photographer:

Just beautiful!

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 04:29:22 PM »

I really don't remember when I did. I know there has been a fascination all my life. I was five when they broke up, and I remember that, distinctly. As a teenager, I became more interested. I started getting albums and so forth. After 26 years of serious collecting, I am still discovering them.

This is a hard question. If I had to pick, I prefer late, because their sound was so well put together. I love Abbey Road. Which answers the next question.

Abbey Road. I think they knew that this could be their last album. I think after the Get Back/Let It Be debacle, they wanted to really put their heart and soul into the project and it shows.

I love them all, but if I had to pick it would be Beatles For Sale. I think they were tired from the last few years. Their touring schedule was relentless and then they were under pressure to put out two albums a year, they had done a film, as well as writing, recording.

Awww, all 256 (I think that is the number) of them. But, if I have to pick...
1. Something
2. Old Brown Shoe
3. Strawberry Fields Forever
4. I Am The Walrus
5. The Word
6. I Want To Hold Your Hand
7. Martha My Dear
8. A Day In The Life
9. And Your Bird Can Sing
10. Don't Pass Me By

As I stated above, none that I dislike. Maybe a better way to phrase this would be least favorite.

After long pause thinking about this, I don't think I can answer this one. I love even Revolution #9

- A Hard Day's Night:
Fun and a fantasy glimpse into what "Beatlemania" was about. "From a Room and a Car to a Car and a Room..."
- Help!:
I love watching this, but pure silliness. A little self indulgent. Obviously in an effort to fulfill a contract.

- Magical Mystery Tour:  
Very Self Indulgent, but enjoyable to watch as it was an experiment to see where their talents were, and if they could make a film as they wanted to.

- Yellow Submarine:  
Only truly a Beatle film at the last section. Fun to watch and enjoy the music. I think the last part is brilliant because it almost seems that it was off the cuff and improvised.

- Let It Be:  
I like this one as it shows what it was like to be in the studio with them at the end. I like watching the jams as well. Sometimes hard to watch, because you can feel the tension that was going on. They didn't want to show their tensions on film, but knew they were in front of the cameras.

George, because I relate to him. He played a major role in the band as the guitarist. He didn't seek the limelight, stayed in back just playing his role. I can relate to this.

Steel And Glass or Bless You or Woman

Maybe I'm Amazed or Silly Love Songs, each are favorites for completely different reasons. Silly Love Songs was the first record I ever bought. Still have it.

Your Love Is Forever or All Those Years Ago

It Don't Come Easy

Absolutely not!!!

There is so much to be interested in. There are so many treasures hidden in their music. When I listen to them, it makes me happy.

Without a doubt. My wife sometimes thinks I am crazy for loving the Beatles so much. She likes them too, but thinks I am obsessed.

Not controversial to me.

I have many. Last time, I saw Paul. I took my wife to see him for the first time. We left the venue about the same time Paul did. We drove down the freeway with Paul's limo. I honked and got recognition.

Or the people I have met, Laurence Juber, Mike McCartney, Lou Harrison, Hamish Stuart, Stuart Sutcliffe's sister, Pauline (and getting a hug from her), Billy Preston (twice). I could go on.
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

Mrs Lennon

• A Thousand Pages
  • Standing or Sitting When Not Lying Down
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 02:07:23 PM »

I think the first Beatles song I heard was Yellow Submarine...I just remember hearing that on the radio, then about four years later, one of my friends became a Beatles fan, and she never stopped singing their songs. And then, one day, I told my mom "I'm going to Walmart to get a Beatles CD" mom: "THE BEATLES?!?" Cruddy Walmart only had '1' and 'LOVE', and the track listings were like a foreign language, so I went with '1', and listened to it thouroghly, and later on I kept getting other CD's of theirs, and here I am today. *huff...puff...whew!*

I like the mid-60's. That is the time where the Beatles were done with being cute. They were becoming more of artists than a pop sensation.

I like Rubber Soul and Revolver. Why? I like Rubber Soul because it was the first real album I bought, let alone the content is brilliant. Revolver...I remember unwrapping it and starting to play it. It sounded very fresh to me. I remember hearing Love You To for the first time, and even though I had heard sitar before on RS, but Love You To sounded completely different.

Yellow Submarine. Mostly 'throw away' tracks, except for Yellow Submarine, which is horribly out of context.

Strawberry Fields Forever
Penny Lane
I'm Looking Through You
If I Needed Someone
She Said She Said
Tomorrow Never Knows
Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds
Because
Revolution 9 [no, I'm not kidding!]

Honey Pie
You've Really Got a Hold on Me
All Together Now

- A Hard Day's Night:
Cute, smart, love the music, and VERY funny.
- Help!: A little crazy, but still enjoyable. I love how the guy from Scotland Yard says "the famous..." in every sentence, or multiple times in every sentence. I also like the end, when the credits say 'this film is dedicated to Ezra Warner, who, in 18whatever invented the sewing machine. So random!

- Magical Mystery Tour: Extremely crazy, enjoyable, but hard to follow.

- Yellow Submarine:  Very funny! I like the cheap-looking late sixties animation. Very good considering that the Beatles don
Music is like candy; you throw away the rappers.

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 03:08:31 PM »

I've loved them since I can remember

I like the early period because they seemed so innocent, and perfect.
I liked the middle period because they showed a vulnerable side.
I like the late period because they showed who they really were.

I don't have a favorite...

I don't have a least favorite...

Within You Without You
Dig A Pony

You Know My Name (Look Up the Number)
^^I can't stand it!

- A Hard Day's Night: Favorite Movie ever

- Help!: Amazing, they all look so perfect in it.

- Magical Mystery Tour:  doesn't get enough credit

- Yellow Submarine:  cute and fun

- Let It Be:  sad..but enjoyable

George!!!! Always has been.

Mucho Mungo
and
I'm Stepping Out

No More Lonely Nights
or
Jet

Come on, all of you know personally well I can not answer this song

Never Without You

No.

Them. As individuals. Their personalities, their style, their humor...

Favorite doesn't even cut it. I love the Beatles. Now until forever!

I don't think so.

Probably just listening to their music...and remembering it all from when I was little.

I love pictures of John and Paul together...this is one of my favorties!

~the guiding light in all your love shines on~

freakchic9

• A Thousand Pages
  • =D
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 06:12:12 PM »

I was 3, and in Canada. My sister brought the Anthology 2 CD and I listened to it. I've been hooked ever since.

I don't prefer one time period, but right now, I've been listening to a lot of later Beatles stuff.  I like all time periods, though.

I don't have one, because they're all so good!

I don't ahve one.

Happiness is a Warm Gun
Baby You're A Rich Man
Sexy Sade
I Me Mine
Ask Me Why
Michelle
Octopus's Garden
Only A Northern Song
Yer Blues
Because
(NOTE:This list WILL change.)

Revolution #9

- A Hard Day's Night: Hilariously... hilarious! I absolutely love this movie.

- Help!: Always makes me laugh and smile.

- Magical Mystery Tour: It's so weird, it pulls you in to watch more. I like the spaghetti scene.

- Yellow Submarine: Watching this makes me feel like I'm five-years-old again! I love this movie.

- Let It Be: I've watched it only once. It made me too sad.

George, because we're married.

Nobody Told Me

Live and Let Die

What is Life

I'm The Greatest

I think she was part of the breaking up of The Beatles, but not a big part.

THEY'RE CUTE.

Of course!

No.

Going to see Ringo Starr in concert last summer! (I still have my Ringo shirt.)

*points to signature*
Oh Georgie!

8)
<|\
 |
 ^

Too cool, yah?

SemolinaPilchard

• A Beginning
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 09:25:58 PM »

Quote from: 1620
^  Great pic.  Here's another from the same photographer:

Just beautiful!

I love that photo session...this is from it too...

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 11:23:01 PM »

I love that photo session too...seems like a lot of us do! :)
I love black and white photos. And these are black and white, not really black, white, grey. Very contrasting.
And I just love pictures of Paul and John together in general. I think it really shows that they loved each other, maybe not so much in a lot of these ones, but in others.

~the guiding light in all your love shines on~

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2009, 12:11:53 AM »

Quote from: 668
And I just love pictures of Paul and John together in general. I think it really shows that they loved each other, maybe not so much in a lot of these ones, but in others.

Agreed!  I like John and Paul pics a lot too.  They were so different but seemed to have good chemistry nonetheless.  They complemented each other very well, even visually.

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2009, 12:34:20 AM »

Quote from: 1926

That's a beautiful picture!  8)
Will do the survey soon  :P

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Mrs Lennon

• A Thousand Pages
  • Standing or Sitting When Not Lying Down
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2009, 04:47:05 PM »

Quote from: 1926

must...not...drool.....AGHH! (inlove1)
Music is like candy; you throw away the rappers.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2009, 09:29:13 PM »

Perfect picture, ladies!

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2009, 09:38:08 PM »

Quote from: 63

LOL! Very true. But I'll join the throng.

Joost, I like all your controversial opinions. I can't really come up with any for myself-- rats!
Edit: Wait, I just thought of a controversial opinion! (adding...)

The Anthology special, '95 or so.

Middle, early, then late. Early Beatles were full of infectious fun and energy, but mid-Beatles had matured as a band and composers. They started going wonky with "Sgt. Pepper"-- some gorgeous songs, and some clunkers, but it felt less like a band from that point on.

"Rubber Soul", followed by "Revolver". Unless I switch the order. I liked the Beatles as a functioning band, not as one main composer and his sidemen.

Probably "Magical Mystery Tour". I just didn't care for that period.

Oh, good grief. I can never answer these! "Please Please Me",  "A Hard Day's Night", "No Reply", "Help!", "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away",  "Nowhere Man" , "Think for Yourself", "Love You To", "For No One" -- 10! Okay, I'm done.  Sorry, second half of the Beatles' career!

"Maxwell's Silver Hammer", "Michelle". I get hives, twitches, the works.

HDN is my favorite. So witty.
Help was cute, but it wears thin. I need to space viewings far apart.
MMT I saw once, which was enough. Not enough good to bring me back.
YS was great, still holds up.
LIB - I'm not sure I would ever want to see it. I didn't care for most of the songs, and the discord among the band members is so painful.

Who's your favorite Beatle? Why?
George. He wasn't just an entertainer, but tried his best to be a worthy human being and help others.

"Imagine".

"Uncle Albert".

Changes daily, depending on my mood. This second it's "Hear Me Lord".

"Weight of the World" knocked me over the first time I heard it (appropriately enough). "Photograph" is wonderfully bittersweet in retrospect.

She helped.

It's such an unbelievable fairytale-- I remember being floored when I saw films of Beatlemania. Couldn't believe it. Still can't.

No. There are other artists I like equally well.

I think "Don't Bother Me" beats the pants off of "Love Me Do" as a debut effort. It's more melodically and lyrically interesting. LMD relies on obnoxious repetition and the lyrics are cringeworthy; only the harmonica solo rescues it in any way.

Going to Abbey Road 3 days after George's death, and finding the wall covered with candles, poems, flowers, and tributes. It was very moving, and I'm glad my trip to London happened to take me there at that time.

Silly Beatles are the best:
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.377 seconds with 91 queries.