Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Where Were You?  (Read 51579 times)

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
  • Insanity is just a state of mind
    • Coughlin Computers
Where Were You?
« on: February 08, 2006, 08:48:21 PM »

this has probably been done, or something similar. but i was just wondering where you were when you heard the news of his death, now that i'm finally getting into his solo stuff.

i wasnt into the beatles then, only a few more months and i would have been, but i remember my 8th grade history teacher was like a HUGE beatles fan, and he had like an entire section of wall above his desk was devoted to the beatles with pictures and a few newspaper clippings about George. but i never knew of him or cared much when he died. kinda wished i did now. same goes for John. :'(
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
Re: Where Were You?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 09:11:00 PM »

I don't remember what I was doing as I wasn't a Beatles fan at the time, but I was looking through some very old magazines last year, or the year before, and they were talking about George and how he was going to have a speedy recovery. It was pretty depressing.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 09:28:23 PM »

I was at home ... it was very early in the morning (it all happened at night here in Europe) and I realized about it seeing TV news ... they didn't stop telling us about the details of his illness and his bio ... all the day and next night, specials included, of course ... it was very sad, tho we -the fans- somehow knew it, not exactly the day, but we were awared of it ... the first thing I did was to send a message to my bandfellow, who was in another city by that time ... I didn't cry, -if you want to know that- ... too deep sadness to even feel tears on the surface ... I spent the next week composing one song in his honour ... this last year I composed another one trying to copy his unique style (when I read that Macca thing about Friends To Go) and I think I get it ...I consider it the best one I've ever composed. I'm one George fan if you didn't notice. This year is the 5th anniversary ... some news coming, I guess ...

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 11:50:09 PM »

I heard it from CNN or Fox I think. I don't remember if that's the exact moment I heard it, but that's what I remember. It wasn't a huge shock, because he'd been sick. Then they had the whole George Martin thing, so people were sort of prepared for it to happen.

becky

• A Beginning
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 07:36:05 PM »

This is a very sad topic for me, but I still remember almost every detail of when I heard that George had passed away. I woke up with an upset stomach that morning and I didn't hear that he passed away until I got to school that morning. My high school librarian that I worked as a volunteer library page for told me that George had passed away and I almost went into shock. :'( I had to force myself not to cry at school all day that day, but when I got home, I just let it all out and cried all night. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( I was depressed for nearly a month about when George passed away and all I could do was think of him. Kids at school made fun of me just because I love him very much and that depressed me even further.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( Even my grades had slipped after all that happened. But I managed to bring my grades back up in time for report cards.

I try my best not to think about the day when George had died. It just upsets me. :'( I miss George very very much. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2006, 03:51:26 AM »

Quote from: becky
...I was depressed for nearly a month about when George passed away and all I could do was think of him. Kids at school made fun of me just because I love him very much and that depressed me even further...  

damn suburban white kids with their rap and hip-hop (obviously they arent emo, or else they would be crying with you...without actually knowing why you're crying)

;D (my emo and rap insult for the month, im trying to give some of it up for lent) ;D
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 10:24:31 AM »

Delivering the morning papers :(
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2006, 10:14:54 PM »

I got up, turned the TV on and went to have a shower - then the phone rang and as I reached it it stopped ringing - and then I heard the news headlines.

I was absolutely gutted. - I always believed he would be OK and make a full recovery.

I carried on getting ready but the my family and friends kept ringing.

I was very late for work that day.

A horrible sad day when I bought every single newspaper again.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 04:02:48 PM »

Alan, about the Newspaper thing. I can totally understand. I would feel so horrible just buying evry paper announcing his death- but then I wouldn't feel loyal if I didn't. It's weird because I had a dream about this last night.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 07:34:27 PM »

Quote from: Mairi
Alan, about the Newspaper thing. I can totally understand. I would feel so horrible just buying evry paper announcing his death- but then I wouldn't feel loyal if I didn't. It's weird because I had a dream about this last night.

Yeah, I did exactly the same when John was killed - but I was only 14 then!

That's weird about your dream!!!  Spooky! :)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2006, 09:33:01 PM »

I heard about George passing away on the radio while driving back to my office after a hospital staff meeting.  WCBS FM played Beatles and George Harrison songs for 24 hours.
I can stay till it's time to go

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2006, 09:32:13 PM »

hey, i actually got a thread to stick and not get lost in the bowels of the forum! in an unrelated (kinda) moment, i just realized that the station i listen to that does beatles breaks in the morning mightve done a john break on the 25th anniversary, dont remember as i was not listening to it because i was at class but i believe someone told me. wish i smuggled a radio in though.

RICKENBACKER325

• "Life is what happens while you busy making other plans"
  • A Thousand Pages
  • Its always been about the music !
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2006, 03:20:02 PM »

In an Indianapolis hospital visiting an uncle who had almost died from a anuerism. I still have the Indianapolis Star news paper from that day. It has a really cool picture of George from the Cavern days, black leather and  black Gretch guitar..... :'(  Very sad day indeed.

Bobber

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2006, 09:09:50 AM »

I'm sorry, I really can't remember where I was when I heard of George's death. I remember it didn't come as a surprise to me and I just thought: "It's over".

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2006, 10:35:16 AM »

Quote from: 63
I'm sorry, I really can't remember where I was when I heard of George's death. I remember it didn't come as a surprise to me and I just thought: "It's over".

Same.
don't follow leaders

Taxgirl

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2006, 11:05:41 AM »

Good to have found this topic.
I was at home, I prepared myself to go to the cinema with a good friend since it was a day-off, I was about to put some make up on. I turned the radio on where they played 3 George songs. I had a bad intuition and switched to an other station where the news was on. When I heard "At the age of 58..." I knew what had happened. I was shocked, I screamed "Noo! It cant be happening!", and ran downstairs to my mom and cried "Mom! George died!". I cried and screamed for hours.
It's still a very sad moment in my life... :'( :'(

Can you imagine that it was almost 5 years ago??

mr kite

• A Thousand Pages
    • Alberts Continuing Storys
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2006, 07:46:27 PM »

I WAS AT WORK WHEN IT CAME OVER ON THE RADIO .NOT A GREAT SHOOK AS WITH JOHN LENNON [ONE OF THE SADDEST DAYS OF MY LIFE I WAS 18 AT THE TIME] ID THAT PAUL & RINGO HAD FLOWN OUT TO THE USA A FEW DAYS BEFORE SO I WAS BIT PREPAIRED FOR HIS DEATH . STILL DEVESTATED TO LOSE A LEGEND LIKE GEORGE  :'(
Wallflower Has Blossomed

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2006, 12:22:07 PM »

Quote from: 343

damn suburban white kids with their rap and hip-hop (obviously they arent emo, or else they would be crying with you...without actually knowing why you're crying)

;D (my emo and rap insult for the month, im trying to give some of it up for lent) ;D

Lmao!

pnxo

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2007, 06:35:03 PM »

Well, i was 8. I was going to my school and in the tv, i listened "El ex-Beatle George Harrison ha fallecido a la edad de 58 años.."...(The ex-beatle George Harrison has died at 58)...i wasn't a beatlefan, but now i am.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2007, 06:25:05 PM »

I wasn't a big Beatle fan at the time either. I had read lots about the group after the Anthology series came out, and I got the videos and a few books. George was far and away my favorite member based on that initial viewing, and everything I read about him subsequently only reinforced that this was the Beatle who resonated most for me personally.

The weird bit was that I was flying to Spain 2 days after his death. We had planned a 2-day stopover in London, and I had two things on my list: see Baker Street and see Abbey Road studios. What I really wanted to do was see George's house, but that seemed too much like stalking to me, so I just decided to see what I could when I was in town. Besides, if I went to his house, I knew I'd be hoping for a glimpse of him. See what a rotten fan I was? I didn't even know he was ill, and not in the country at the time.

Anyway, I believe I found out the news the day before I got on the plane. I felt very sad, but this raised an Abbey Road visit to extremely high priority. My brother-in-law and I went that first night. The people at Abbey Road paint the wall around their property white, so fans can scribble on it. The wall was covered with tributes to George, flowers, candles, pictures, poems, on and on, all the way down the sidewalk. I walked along very slowly reading and viewing the messages. I took some pictures, which I'll have to find again.

It was very solemn, but also uplifting. I could just feel the love. I still can, when I come to forums like this. We are so lucky-- all of us in the world. Of all the people to be raised to this frenzied idolized status, it happened to be four very level-headed down-to-Earth men who were determined not to let success go to their heads. They honestly did try to do the right thing, in their personal lives, in their business affairs, certainly in their music. They could have become such monsters, but instead they held true to their course and tried to maintain their personal integrity. I think that's why they are still loved today. People recognize and respond to that goodness, both in their music and in their persons. I am very grateful for who they were and what they gave us.

One more note about George. I was reading in I, Me, Mine his write-up about how the holiest gurus can pick the time they will give up their bodies, and that this voluntary removal--accepting and embracing death when it comes-- is one of the most advanced spiritual states you can get, to avoid rebirth and having to work through your mistakes all over again. I'm relieved that George got to go mindfully; he knew it was coming, he was prepared, he was very peaceful. I think it was a state of grace for him to die in his preferred way; he had certainly earned it. Bless you, George, wherever you are.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Page created in 0.274 seconds with 85 queries.