Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Where Were You?  (Read 51586 times)

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
Re: Where Were You?
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2007, 01:42:40 PM »

I was in 8th grade and had walked into school when my friends came up to me and said "HAHA George Harrison died!" and I didn't believe it at first and just brushed it off with "haha very funny guys" It wasn't until I saw it on the news that I found out it was true  :'(
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2007, 02:58:22 PM »

^ Oh, good grief. Kids can be such jerks.

I remember I had the same reaction when someone told me the Challenger exploded--  "haha very funny" -- because you just don't want to believe it's true.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2007, 05:31:24 PM »

^^ yeah they can. I remember during my senior year of high school ( just last year lol) I did a report on John and I used the radio broadcast the night that John was shot and I almost cried while listening to it and I played the Working Class Hero music video and afterwards my friends came up to me and said "Boo hoo John Lennon is dead. Who cares?" the same kids who teased me about George's death ::)

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2007, 11:08:31 PM »

..I got it as well, someone was taking the mick out of
john's death which upset me at school. i felt so angry & these
people knew nothing of him or his music.
and another time i was at school around the time Linda passed
away & i got all the awful jokes.. >:(
I think as life goes on, they'll realise what they said & feel bad about it.

Saying that, i did get one or two guys into the fabs & i felt so
proud. they had no idea of all the 'gear' things in store for them! ;)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2007, 02:34:11 AM »

Quote from: 682
"Boo hoo John Lennon is dead. Who cares?"
Um, the entire rest of the world?  ::)

Quote from: Andy Smith
I think as life goes on, they'll realise what they said & feel bad about it.
Very true, Andy.  Steve Martin said something like this recently; I can't remember where.  He said that you can really enjoy outrageous humor when you're young.  After you get older, you start knowing people who've died of cancer, car accidents, and so on -- and it gets so you just can't laugh at it. There's too much of a personal cost involved.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2007, 03:57:47 PM »

I love your signiture Harihead, sounds like Ringo's meaning of life! ;)
Yes Ringo, All You Need Is Love! ;) :)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2007, 07:17:00 PM »

It was just so epigrammatic, I had to use it! Ringo remembers things with humor, kindness, and hope-- not a bad combination!  8)

wingsman

• Getting Better
  • There is always a reason to live
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2007, 02:23:54 PM »

I was traveling in my parents car, and I cried when they said on the radio and they after played 'Give Me Love, Give Me Peace on Earth'. It was my first very shocking musical moment, the second was the Maurice Gibb's death in January 2003.
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

Pasta Cheif

• Getting Better
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2007, 04:27:17 AM »

Quote from: 185
I think as you get older you get gradually more immune to death, so no, it didn't affect me greatly. Already seen too many people go before their time for it to freak me out. It's just how the world is.
So True. I remember feeling sad though, but maybe because he was already sick it didn't shock or freak me out. When John was murdered, it just didn't seem possible or real and it really freaked me out.
&quot;Dont take life seriously, you'll never get out of it alive&quot;

Euan Buchan

• A Thousand Pages
    • The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2007, 01:27:44 PM »

I was at school and a teacher who knew I was a fan said"did you hear the news on George?" I said "no what news is that?" "he died" I was shocked and stunned I'm not really a huge George fan but was really upset about it. The teacher allowed me to walk out the class and go for a walk around the school. During that day I recived lots of txts saying I'm I alright etc and in the afternoon I wached a tribute programme to him. 2001 was a bad year in June my comedy group The Giggles disbanded, Sept 11th then George.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2007, 02:34:11 PM »

I'm glad you had a thoughtful teacher, Euan. That must have really helped.

Welcome to the forums. Please make yourself at home.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2007, 10:36:05 PM »

I was walking into school and all of a sudden my friends came up to me and said HAHA GEORGE HARRISON IS DEAD! and I basically didn't it I was basically like yeah right nice try guys and then we had to watch channel one news and it had something about his death on there and that's when I knew it was true  :(

dirtyoldsod

• A Beginning
  • Sue me sue you
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2007, 01:10:20 AM »

I was celebrating my fathers birthday.
<br /><br /><br />

WaMoZ

• A Beginning
  • Saint George W Beatle
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2008, 03:54:10 AM »

I can't remember what I was doing or how I felt. Maybe I just thought his time had come and was relieved he hadn't died violently like John. I didn't know that he never really recovered from the stabbing attack. At the end of 2001 I was trying to keep afloat a foundering high school teaching career and that was sucking up all my energy, so maybe the full impact didn't hit me at the time.

I'm really sorry for those at school who were known to be Beatles and/or George fans, and therefore were given heaps of grief by stupid and cruel people. George's death was such a tragedy. He had so much more to give.
I wonder should I call you but I know what you'd do
You'd say I'm putting you on But it's no joke it's doing me harm....
Tell me tell me tell me come on tell me the answer

dabbik

• A Beginning
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2008, 11:49:41 AM »

I don't know!:(
I wasn't a Beatle fan back in those days, damn it:(

Bungalow Bill

• A Beginning
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2008, 03:12:53 AM »

It was a really cold day out and one of the first that year that we had frost I getting ready for school and when i got into the car which was heating up i turned on CBC and it was the start of the morning news and they started off by saying George had passed on and i went to school in absolute shock the entire day as i had not a month earlier really began to listen to ALL of the beatles stuff in a big way and really grasp their personalities.. the next day i stayed home from school and the music channels on TV showed all his videos all day and several Beatles videos namely Real Love and Free as a Bird.. and it held me the whole day.. i was happy sad.. grief stricken i was going through it all... and just awestruck at how sublime his music was... that day was a really hard one
<br /><br />The All Knower of 1 Second Song Clips

theBEATLESrock_on

• Getting Better
  • Staple it toghether, we'll call it bad weather
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2008, 06:55:06 AM »

i know this is old, but we were on the way to tahoe and the radio announcer guy said that george died and my dad was in just a short shock and we almost went off a huge cliff or whatever into like...donnor pass or something (gotta keep that funny accent going)
MARTINA was HERE<br />[size=14]&quot;sit on my face and tell me that you love me&quot;[/size] -monty python <br />

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2008, 01:10:53 PM »

What a scary story, theBEATLESrock_on. And sad.

theBEATLESrock_on

• Getting Better
  • Staple it toghether, we'll call it bad weather
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2008, 12:10:23 AM »

hehehe...there are much scarier storiesi could tell that involve tahoe. silly sierra nevada mountain range
MARTINA was HERE<br />[size=14]&quot;sit on my face and tell me that you love me&quot;[/size] -monty python <br />

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2008, 02:03:17 AM »

Its something I don't really like to talk about, but here it goes anyways. I was only a bout, I was 9, I just turned 9 that September. We just got done putting up the Christmas tree, because my mom liked to put it up pretty early back in the day. And I just sat down on the couch and it just came on.

I don't even know how to explain how I felt. Because I felt nothing, I was littrally numb. I just screamed for my Dad to get in here because a Beatle just died. He was pretty much in shock, he unlike me do to me being 9, knew that he was sufferring from cancer, but he was still devastated.

I didn't cry for the longest time after that. I think the first time I cried was the next year when Concert For George aired on tv, and it just completely sunk in that he was gone. That was probably the worst night in my entire life, I never want to feel that way ever again.

~the guiding light in all your love shines on~
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 89 queries.