Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Yellow Submarine - thoughts?  (Read 6968 times)

The Fox Drummer

• A Beginning
  • I'm a drummer, not a wetnurse.
Yellow Submarine - thoughts?
« on: September 17, 2007, 04:16:29 PM »

Everyone knows 'Yellow Submarine'. The guy at the bus stop. The little kid at camp. The random person you happen to ask on the street. In fact, when someone says 'Beatles' these days, most people are likely to think immediately, 'Yellow Submarine'! or boast that it's their favourite Beatles song when it's really the only one that they actually know.

But if you think about, besides the movie...why is this? As much as I love Ringo, 'Yellow Submarine' does not have the best vocals, nor are the lyrics particularly inspiring. In terms of sound, it's fun, but nothing we haven't heard before during the days of Sgt. Pepper.

So why is Yellow Submarine so incredibly popular? And why has it become the one song that people relate the Beatles to? One would think 'She Loves You', something brilliant such as 'A Day In The Life' or 'All You Need Is Love'...but no, it's got to be a kiddie song that sounds like Paul wrote it when he was either tripping or bored. ;)

(Incidentally, what are your own thoughts about the song?)
<br />One thing I can tell you is you got to be free...

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
Re: Yellow Submarine - thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 04:20:01 PM »

We all live in one.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

The Fox Drummer

• A Beginning
  • I'm a drummer, not a wetnurse.
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 04:25:12 PM »

*gasp* That must be it!
<br />One thing I can tell you is you got to be free...

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 05:01:10 PM »

At the end of the day I think most people respond to a simple catchy melody. Words are of little consequence (how many people bellow along to songs with no idea what the actual vocals are, or what they mean.) Most people only know the chorus of YS and wing the rest.It's a primate thing, like football chanting or drumming. If people can sing along they're happy.
That's why you have to smile when you see all these aspiring songwriters agonising over deep complex lyrics that no one is going to give a sh*t about anyway. Macca knows what sells to the masses.
don't follow leaders

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 05:21:57 PM »

Oh and my thoughts. On its own on the radio now it sounds a bit rubbish. But as a track on Revolver and thinking it's 1966 it's cool. Sounds quite druggy. It's always struck me as a radio friendly version of Dylans "Rainy Day Woman #12 & 35."
And as a single it's a perfect counterpoint to the gloom of Eleanor Rigby. Hats off Mr McCartney. A man who truly knew what he was doing.
don't follow leaders

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 06:04:05 PM »

Great to hear your viewpoint, Kevin. I've no doubt that you're right about "how many people bellow along to songs with no idea what the actual vocals are, or what they mean". For me, lyrics have always been incredibly important. I'm one of those people who soaks up lyrics and can recite them years later; they get in my brain for good. Which is why I find inane, empty lyrics annoying.

Personally I like YS because it's so much fun! I like the silly voices and sound effects and whole silly mood of it. Fun and happy is great! The overall Beatles impression is fun, happy, and silly--certainly it was in their Beatlemania phase, and I think that's probably how most regular listeners still perceive them.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 08:54:58 PM »

Yellow Submarine was always sung to me when i was at school to tease me, as they
knew i was a fan. It seemed to be the only Beatles song that the kids knew, but they
knew nothing on the fabs! >:( of course, it's so "DAM CATCHY"  (bit like Dance Tonight!),
(yes, macca again! ;D).
i rememeber saying to someone when i was at school what music i liked & of course it
was the fabs ... and then he goes, 'Oh yeah!, we all live in a Yellow Submarine!'
i love the song but despise it at times!! :P :P ;D

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Dark Phoenyx

• Getting Better
  • Paul Mc Cartney is the true bass god!
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 09:24:59 PM »

I think is a funny song, I remember when I was a kid and I heard it in the Spanish version of Sesame Street.   I just loved the tune....  It makes me happy.

;D
<br /><br />The warlus was Paul...   8)

Flaming Pie in the Sky

• A Thousand Pages
    • Gone Troppo
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 09:45:11 PM »

It can be used in response to the classic Beatle-fan/non fan question:

"So do you like the Beatles?"
"Aren't they the band who did Yellow Submarine?"

Anyway, my thoughts: I love this song. It should be the Beatle fan national anthem. I can see it now, people joining hands and singing the chorus...  :P

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 09:47:27 PM »

Oh Hell, let's sing...

We all live in a Yellow Submarine...

;D

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Flaming Pie in the Sky

• A Thousand Pages
    • Gone Troppo
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 09:53:35 PM »

;D

Beatlemaniac64

• Getting Better
  • "Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted" - John
    • Instagram
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 10:24:32 PM »

Quote from: 614
Yellow Submarine was always sung to me when i was at school to tease me, as they
knew i was a fan. It seemed to be the only Beatles song that the kids knew, but they
knew nothing on the fabs! >:( of course, it's so "DAM CATCHY"  (bit like Dance Tonight!),
(yes, macca again! ;D).
i rememeber saying to someone when i was at school what music i liked & of course it
was the fabs ... and then he goes, 'Oh yeah!, we all live in a Yellow Submarine!'

I can see what you mean when you say you love the song but despise it at times. We all love it, but it seems like it can be easily used to tease! Which I hate...

Maybe it's such a popular song because, like some people are saying, you can sing along to it and it's just plain fun! I'm sure little kids love it, especially. And I admit that before I was a Beatles fan, if you asked me to name one of their songs, the only one I'd be able to name would be Yellow Submarine, being a little kid. And I get the feeling that if I asked the clueless people at school to name a song, they'd name YS. It's hard to put a finger on exactly why this is true. It's a fun song and I love it, but it's not their best.
-Julia
Born 1991, fan since 2006

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2007, 01:04:16 AM »

I think its such an innocent and catchy tune, that it relates well to children more so than adults. I like the song for what it is, but its not one of my favorite Beatle tunes by a long shot.

A co-worker and my oldest brother always sing and make fun of that song when they're trying to get a rise out of me about the Beatles. I never really stopped to think about it, but damn,,,,,it just might be their most popular tune.

Octie

• A Thousand Pages
  • It's sunshine life for me...
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 04:15:37 AM »

I like Yellow Submarine... :)
As you guys said, it's such a fun, happy song... very peaceful and "friendly" ("everyone of us is all we need") and all  ;D

And it reminds me of the movie (which is something that I like being reminded of!  ;D )

I like your Beatle-fan-national-anthem idea, Flaming Pie!!  ;D
I'd ask my friends to come and see... an Octopus's Garden with me ^___^

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2007, 06:56:25 AM »

I always thought it would make a great national anthem for England ?

DaveRam :)

Buttmunker

• Getting Better
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2007, 07:56:49 AM »

Quote from: 614
(yes, macca again! ;D).

wow, sorry to hear that.  I have a 4-year old son, and I'm constantly exposing him to Beatles music, and he LOVES it.  I hope he doesn't go through what you went through.  Maybe I should stop.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2007, 08:16:41 AM »

I was born in 1958, and YS is the ony Beatle song I can remember being aware of.
don't follow leaders

Pasta Cheif

• Getting Better
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2007, 08:59:45 AM »

I used to hate it, but like it quite well now. They seemed to be having a good time.
&quot;Dont take life seriously, you'll never get out of it alive&quot;

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2007, 10:21:21 AM »

I think the reason why it was (and still is?) popular is becasue that it was embraced by more nations, ie more nations allowed to play it as it was all so neutral which tied up well with the whole "Love and Peace in the West and East" *having said that, I think I got my dates wrong and that slogan wrong... oh well*. Infact it seems to have the same popularity reasons as All You Need is Love. Its the whole "positive" image the world needs.

Frankly, I dont see anything special about it. If I weren't a Beatle fan and you'd say to me "Beatles..." I would say "All You Need is Love"

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2007, 12:26:59 PM »

Quote from: 679
I always thought it would make a great national anthem for England ?
Why England in particular? Are you claiming special submarine status just because the Beatles were born there?

I really liked your comment, Kaleidoscope_Eyes, about it being "embraced by more nations, ie more nations allowed to play it as it was all so neutral". Really interesting perspective. Thanks.

All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 95 queries.