Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jimi Hendrix  (Read 1044 times)

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
Jimi Hendrix
« on: October 13, 2014, 02:27:31 PM »

BBC Four repeated the Jimi doc 'Hear My Train a Comin'' at the weekend.

I'm not sure when the interviews were filmed (early 1990s?) but it's frightening to think that Chas Chandler, Mitch Mitchell and Noel Redding have all since died.
And to show the stature of the man, even Paul turned up to talk about seeing him in London in '66.

I've neglected Jimi for too long now and so I'm listening to 'Axis: Bold as Love' today for the first time in goodness knows how long.
This was always my favourite of his records and there are few pop LPs better than it, if any.

Coincidentally, the posthumous releases 'Cry to Love' and 'Rainbow Bridge' have just been re-released.....time to visit HMV methinks!

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
Re: Jimi Hendrix
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 07:26:03 PM »

One of the true greats. Purple Haze still gives manages to give goosebumps. Have you ever been to electric ladyland, oldbrownshoe? It's quite the ride, quite the journey through the sounds and motions. The closest Jimi came to having his own White Album.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

nimrod

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 12:21:37 AM »

BBC Four repeated the Jimi doc 'Hear My Train a Comin'' at the weekend.

I'm not sure when the interviews were filmed (early 1990s?) but it's frightening to think that Chas Chandler, Mitch Mitchell and Noel Redding have all since died.
And to show the stature of the man, even Paul turned up to talk about seeing him in London in '66.

I've neglected Jimi for too long now and so I'm listening to 'Axis: Bold as Love' today for the first time in goodness knows how long.
This was always my favourite of his records and there are few pop LPs better than it, if any.

Coincidentally, the posthumous releases 'Cry to Love' and 'Rainbow Bridge' have just been re-released.....time to visit HMV methinks!

JImi only made 3 albums Are You Experienced, Axis: Bold as Love, and Electric Ladyland, I have all 3 and like them a lot, I ignore all the other cobbled together/live/unfinished money making releases that Jimi wouldnt have approved off, bad karma man

His first album was a game changer in terms of guitar playing, a landmark album

His solo in Watchtower is one of the best

I have watched his pheeenominal Woodstock performance lots of times over the decades (usually drunk)  ha2ha

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 03:48:51 PM »

Yep, I have sympathy with the original albums idea but I'm trying to somehow re-connect with his music and the 'Cry of Love' re-issue, and the documentary, seemed quite an interesting avenue into it.

'Cry of Love' sounds sensational.
It's funky.
It's short (under 40 minutes).
And, even though I have the LP somewhere on a double with 'War Heroes', it's a record I've never really listened to before.

As I'm off to London on Friday, I might as well also get the 'Rainbow Bridge' re-issue.
I'll report back! 

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 06:18:07 PM »

I've never enjoyed 'Electric Ladyland' as much as I have in the last couple of days.

I got an old 'nude cover' version of the CD (now 'collectable' but at £15 probably about the same price that it was 25 years ago, I paid £8 for a new 'Axis' in 1990) which, to my ears, sounds much better than the one that is currently on the CD racks.

I've read people on the internet swear by the 1988 (?) West German Polydor editions and I have to say that, having had no problems with my West German 'Axis', I'm going to track down those versions.

That said, I do plan to get the 'new' release of 'Rainbow Bridge' tomorrow.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 03:35:09 AM »

Jimi's wisdom: "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 03:37:14 AM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 48 queries.