Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Eleanor Rigby  (Read 24098 times)

JudeRigby

• One And One Is Two
  • Anima Mundi
Eleanor Rigby
« on: April 28, 2004, 10:48:57 PM »

I was just wondering if anyone had an opinion on what the song meant...my friend and I came up with a couple of reasonings:  1) They were just singing about how obscure people are.  2) Eleanor Rigby and Father McKenzie were having an affair...I may be completely opposite of the real idea but comments welcome.. ;D :D
                         &
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Eleanor Rigby
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2004, 01:46:30 AM »

Paul had the music of the song written before the lyrics (which was common place). He came up with the verse "Picks up the rice in a church where a wedding has been" and formed the idea that the song would be about lonely people. As for Eleanor,,this was just a name that Paul liked (he said probably because of Eleanor Bron who he knew at the time) and Rigby was a name of a shop that Paul walked past.

Most of us know that Father McCartney was the original thought up name for the priest because it just fit the syllables, but paul didnt want to use McCartney because of his dad. John and Paul went to the phone book and looked at the next name in line after Mccartney,,,,hence McKenzie.

Nothing more to add. Just about lonely people.

Bruno

• A Thousand Pages
  • The choice is yours, don't be late
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2004, 01:21:11 PM »

I read somewhere that there's actually an Eleanor Rigby buried in the Church's graveyeard where John met Paul in 1957 while playing for the Quarrymen.

---powered by Moondogs®---

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2004, 02:16:41 PM »

[quote by=Bruno link=Blah.pl?b=songs,m=1083192537,s=2 date=1083244871]I read somewhere that there's actually an Eleanor Rigby buried in the Church's graveyeard where John met Paul in 1957 while playing for the Quarrymen.[/quote]

Tis true.

Right next to Maxwell Edison's grave (not true)  ;-)

JudeRigby

• One And One Is Two
  • Anima Mundi
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2004, 04:29:16 PM »

I understand the basis of the poem....but I was wondering about the lines about Father McKenzie...like "Father McKenzie, writing the words of a sermon that no one will hear, no one comes near.." and "Father McKenzie wiping his hands as he walks from the grave, no one was saved.." any ideas on these lines?
                         &

JudeRigby

• One And One Is Two
  • Anima Mundi
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2004, 04:39:06 PM »

(3)  A funeral speech
     Nobody heard; no one came.
     Eleanor Rigby.

I was just browsing on google...and a page said that the song actually came from a series of haikus like this one..wtf?  i'm confused..:(
                         &

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2004, 04:40:18 PM »

[quote by=Bruno link=Blah.pl?b=songs,m=1083192537,s=2 date=1083244871]I read somewhere that there's actually an Eleanor Rigby buried in the Church's graveyeard where John met Paul in 1957 while playing for the Quarrymen.[/quote]

And here it is...

This is the gravestone of Eleanor Rigby which was only discovered in the mid-Eighties in the grounds of St Peter's Church, Woolton, Liverpool. It was at a church-organised Garden Fete that John first met Paul on 6th July 1957.

A flyer for the garden fete where John and Paul first met.

Bruno

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2004, 05:22:30 PM »

that's great, thanks Alan.

When Paul got asked if he chose the name 'Eleanor Rigby' based on that gravestone he said that he didn't know anything about it!! That's weird!

---powered by Moondogs®---

Bruno

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2004, 05:26:40 PM »

Some other facts about this song:

-Paul McCartney got "Rigby" from the name of a store and "Eleanor" from actress Eleanor Bron. He liked the name "Eleanor Rigby" because it sounded natural.

-"Father Mackenzie" was originally "Father McCartney." Paul decided he didn't want to freak out his dad and picked a name out of the phone book instead.

-A string section of 4 violins, 2 violas and 2 cellos were used in recording. Paul may have been inspired by the classic composer Vivaldi.

-The Beatles didn't play any of the instruments on this. All the music came from the string players, who were hired as session musicians.

-The last verse was written in the studio.

-There is a gravestone for an Eleanor Rigby in St. Peter's Churchyard in Wooton, England.
This was originally written as "Miss Daisy Hawkins."

-The lyrics were brainstormed among The Beatles. In later years, Lennon and McCartney gave different accounts of who contributed more of the words to this.

-Microphones were placed very close to the instruments to create and unusual sound.

-Ray Charles and Aretha Franklin both had hits with cover versions of this.

-Because of the string section, this was difficult to play live, which The Beatles never did.

-On his 2002 Back In The US tour, Paul McCartney played this without the strings.
Keyboards were used to compensate.

-There is also a McKenzie gravestone in Woolton.