Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: wonderwall music  (Read 3035 times)

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
wonderwall music
« on: February 24, 2008, 12:52:10 PM »

Hey just wondering if anyone prefers George's music on Wonderwall music over his Beatles output ?

I hvae never been a huge fan of his best known songs (something,while my guitar,here comes the sun) and preferred songs like Blue jay way and It's all too much.

BlueMeanie

Re: wonderwall music
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 01:02:28 PM »

So tell us why you like it. Is it true that he doesn't actually play anything on it?

awc1967

• A Beginning
  • arrive without travelling
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 02:34:03 AM »

I  too love wonderwall, but george doesn't play on it at all,  in fact he was only the arranger and some of that was done when he was out of the country.
i do beleive that george did some production work on it, but not very much, i have read that it was a group called the remo four who actually recorded the album.
the same can be said for paul's orchestrated albums, he wrote the music but he didnt produce or perform any of it.
since i am saying all this, i might as well throw the 3 ono/ lennon experimentals in too, they were yoko with john assisting, i feel that two virgins, life with the lions and wedding album were all yoko's idea and john just went along with her.
i don't have a lot to say about george's electronic sound, but it too belongs in this catagory, it is unlistenable unless your looking at the stars, pretending its a planetarium.
one last throw, the fireman, i beleive whole heartedly that youth is the mastermind behind the two albums, plus the liverpool sound collage credited to paul and the small furry animals, plus the new fireman album coming out this summer.
this is all just my opinion, i would love to hear other people's takes on this subject. :-/
I've got a feeling,I think that everybody knows

BlueMeanie

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 06:02:31 AM »

Quote from: 1267
the same can be said for paul's orchestrated albums, he wrote the music but he didnt produce or perform any of it.

Generally the case for classical work.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 04:27:37 PM »

Hello, Awc1967! The Remo 4 (some of them) did participate with a host of others in the recording. From Wiki:

England (December 1967)
John Barham – piano and flügelhorn
Colin Manley – guitar and steel guitar
Tony Ashton – jangle piano and organ
Philip Rogers – bass
Roy Dyke – drums
Tommy Reilly – harmonica
Peter Tork – banjo (uncredited)
Eddie Clayton (Eric Clapton) – guitar (lead on "Ski-ing")
Richie Snare (Ringo Starr) – drums (rumoured)

India (January 1968 )
Aashish Khan – sarod
Mahapurush Misra – tabla and pakavaj
Sharad Jadev – shehnai
Hanuman Jadev – shehnai
Shambu-Das – sitar
Indril Bhattacharya – sitar
Shankar Ghosh – sitar
Chandra Shekhar – surbahar
Shivkumar Sharma – santoor
S. R. Kenkare – flute
Vinaik Vora – thar-shehnai
Rij Ram Desad – harmonium and tabla-tarang

(Me again) Not quite sure about this timing, because Simon Leng's book (he devotes a whole section to Wonderwall) indicates that the Western music was an overlay to the Eastern. From what I understand, George started recording the album in England, but was disappointed with the quality of the studio musicians there who played Indian instruments. He traveled to Bombay, India the following month, and the project came together to his satisfaction.

George was the composer, arranger, and producer of the soundtrack. He wanted to do an all-Indian music soundtrack, and needed classically trained Indian musicians to accomplish that. His final soundtrack so perfectly matched the film that no editing was required. (George composed each song to the exact count of each scene.)

But... I still haven't listened to the album myself yet. FT, this is on my list! I think I've heard a cut or two on YouTube and enjoyed them, but I'll have to give the whole thing a listen. It would be really cool if I could see it with the film.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

BlueMeanie

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 04:36:16 PM »

I  too love wonderwall, but george doesn't play on it at all,  in fact he was only the arranger and some of that was done when he was out of the country.

He was actually at Bombay's EMI studios to record Indian musicians. It is odd that he doesn't seem to have played on it at all though.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 04:57:16 PM »

I wish I could remember where I saw the whole story about his Wonderwall trip. It's not in Leng...

It's a bit odd that George didn't play. Perhaps he was too busy directing the performances down to the second. Maybe he was having too much fun being in the unusual role of producer. He did enjoy it a great deal and did quite a bit more in the future.

I also noticed on the Harri-Spector Show that he often lets Phil take the lead. I think George got a great kick out of playing with other people and was perfectly happy to showcase them.  
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

awc1967

• A Beginning
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 06:48:11 PM »

Quote from: 551
Hello, Awc1967! The Remo 4 (some of them) did participate with a host of others in the recording. From Wiki:

England (December 1967)
John Barham – piano and fl&#252;gelhorn
Colin Manley – guitar and steel guitar
Tony Ashton – jangle piano and organ
Philip Rogers – bass
Roy Dyke – drums
Tommy Reilly – harmonica
Peter Tork – banjo (uncredited)
Eddie Clayton (Eric Clapton) – guitar (lead on "Ski-ing")
Richie Snare (Ringo Starr) – drums (rumoured)

India (January 1968 )
Aashish Khan – sarod
Mahapurush Misra – tabla and pakavaj
Sharad Jadev – shehnai
Hanuman Jadev – shehnai
Shambu-Das – sitar
Indril Bhattacharya – sitar
Shankar Ghosh – sitar
Chandra Shekhar – surbahar
Shivkumar Sharma – santoor
S. R. Kenkare – flute
Vinaik Vora – thar-shehnai
Rij Ram Desad – harmonium and tabla-tarang

(Me again) Not quite sure about this timing, because Simon Leng's book (he devotes a whole section to Wonderwall) indicates that the Western music was an overlay to the Eastern. From what I understand, George started recording the album in England, but was disappointed with the quality of the studio musicians there who played Indian instruments. He traveled to Bombay, India the following month, and the project came together to his satisfaction.

George was the composer, arranger, and producer of the soundtrack. He wanted to do an all-Indian music soundtrack, and needed classically trained Indian musicians to accomplish that. His final soundtrack so perfectly matched the film that no editing was required. (George composed each song to the exact count of each scene.)

But... I still haven't listened to the album myself yet. FT, this is on my list! I think I've heard a cut or two on YouTube and enjoyed them, but I'll have to give the whole thing a listen. It would be really cool if I could see it with the film.
thank you for that information.
i never knew so many people played on it.
i hope i didnt sound negative in my post, i was giving my opinion of what i've heard and read.
as a matter of fact,i have owned the album since 1985.
and the cd since 2000.
it does sound very good, there are a few that if had george's vocals might have fit on the white album.
it's nice that you guys have commented, i want to hear what others think about it.
 :)

awc1967

• A Beginning
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 06:51:50 PM »

I wish I could remember where I saw the whole story about his Wonderwall trip. It's not in Leng...

It's a bit odd that George didn't play. Perhaps he was too busy directing the performances down to the second. Maybe he was having too much fun being in the unusual role of producer. He did enjoy it a great deal and did quite a bit more in the future.

I also noticed on the Harri-Spector Show that he often lets Phil take the lead. I think George got a great kick out of playing with other people and was perfectly happy to showcase them.  
thank you both, blue meanie and harihead for all your replies to me here at this great forum.
the movie is very spacey about an older man, who falls for a younger girl.
being 41, i can understand the man a bit better, lol.
he watches her through a tiny hole in the wall, i beleive her boyfriend is unkind to her.
the music makes the movie so much better and its at least worth 1 watching.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 07:31:55 PM »

i hope i didnt sound negative in my post, i was giving my opinion of what i've heard and read.
No worries! We're all here to share information and enjoy the Beatles. I learn something new every day, which is why I keep coming back.

I'm very glad you joined in, because I really do need to play this album and you reminded me. I'm completely envious that you've seen the film. Thanks for your intriguing description!

awc1967

• A Beginning
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 08:59:39 PM »

No worries! We're all here to share information and enjoy the Beatles. I learn something new every day, which is why I keep coming back.

I'm very glad you joined in, because I really do need to play this album and you reminded me. I'm completely envious that you've seen the film. Thanks for your intriguing description!

being a beatlefan for 24 years, i have learned so much, but still i find new things.
the best thing about being a beatle fan is talking to others about it.
i love hearing other peoples opinions.
being a closet beatle fan is not very fun.
i am very glad to have joined here.
thank you for your kind welcome.
as far as wonderwall, i would put it in the same class as the magic christian, how i won the war, candy and that'll be the day, not great but worth seeing once.

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 07:11:24 AM »

I have written detailed features with images of Wonderwall, the Magic Christian, Caveman, Give My Regards to Broad Street, How I Won The War, The Hours and Times, Let It Be, A Hard Day's Night, Help! Magical Mystery Tour, Blindman etc on my second site www.merseybeat.co.uk in the 'Rock Films' section, along with 100 other rock movies.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 03:52:28 PM »

Good to see you again, Bill!

I've been pecking away at your library. I think I'm somewhere in the middle, so haven't made it to W yet. I have been enjoying the features greatly, especially for movies I've never seen.

Mellotroniac

• A Beginning
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 10:39:11 PM »

I LOVE IT, I call that album Magical Mystery Tour Part II!
&quot;No one around you will love you today and throw it all away...&quot;<br />&quot;Nothing is real...&quot;<br />&quot;Its all in the mind...&quot;<br />&quot;And life flows on within you and w

Morninggloryseed

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 03:53:07 AM »

Wonderwall is a gem of a movie, and the soundtrack is also a gem.  Are we sure George didn't play anything.  Yes, I realize he isn't on the cardboard insert....but did George ever say he didn't play on it?  Did he ever say anything about it?
Visit my blog for Beatle downloads..<br /><br />http://morninggloryseed-blog.blogspot.com/

Page created in 0.273 seconds with 70 queries.