Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beatles OUTFAKE List  (Read 11659 times)

Mellotroniac

• A Beginning
Beatles OUTFAKE List
« on: May 15, 2008, 06:57:21 PM »

There's might be thread like this already, so sorry for going in circles. Does any one want to help make a comprehensive list of fake or extremely beatlesque songs? Like supposedly real but unbootlegged songs and the like. Or just plain out fakes such as "Pink Litmus Paper Shirt". Here's a few suggestions to get you started=
1. Have You Heard The Word? by The Fut
2. Lullaby (For A Lazy Day) once AKA "Sgt. Pepper Circus" by Grapefruit
3. Lonely Like A Rainbow by "Cohen" And The Shatner's Basson Band
4. (The Infamous) Peace Of Mind/The Candle Burns by ?
I know getting exicted over fake Beatles songs must seem strange, but I really got into it after my "Paul Is Dead" phase was finished. I think every fan dreams of discovering a musty trunk full of lost tapes, I know I
do, it must be the Indiana Jones in me. FIY as well, I mean unconfirmed songs, as I know "Carnival Of Light" is
an actual confirmed song. By Beatlesque I mean songs that are supposed to be passed off as The Beatles, not
Beatles inspired, though that line can get fuzzy.
&quot;No one around you will love you today and throw it all away...&quot;<br />&quot;Nothing is real...&quot;<br />&quot;Its all in the mind...&quot;<br />&quot;And life flows on within you and w
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

BlueMeanie

Re: Beatles OUTFAKE List
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 08:13:27 PM »

Quote from: 1309
4. (The Infamous) Peace Of Mind/The Candle Burns by ?

Cosidered to be either Pink Floyd or The Pretty Things.

Off the top of my head theres' 'Oh, I Need You', supposed to have been recorded around Feb '69 at Abbey Road. Thought to be The Beatles because it's quite Lennonesque. Most likely to be a band called Mortimer, who George was going to sign for Apple. Sounds like a low quality demo.

Then there's a one minute clip doing the rounds purporting to be an edit from 'Carnival Of Light'. Recorded in 2000 by 'Lord of Boothferry'.

Klaatu is a band that springs to mind when thinking of possible Beatles songs. Their first album - sounding very Beatlesesque - was released without any band information, leading to rumours that it was a reunited Beatles. Bobber can fill you in on that more than I.

Bobber

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 08:50:31 PM »

"Peace Of Mind":- Blatant Forgery or Undiscovered Beatles Song

By Patrick MacKeown

I used to be in the habit of picking up Beatle bootlegs whenever I came across them in various fairs or dodgy record stores around the country. These second, third or even fourth generation tapes had usually been transferred from some bootleg vinyl, and would invariably vary in quality from laughingly nowhere-near-CD-quality to distant muffled singing over the sound of several bags of hissing snakes.

These tapes usually contained out-takes, rehearsals or demos of previously released The Beatles material, and as such not only provided me with a unique insight into the song-writing and recording processes of the Fab Four, but also of their musical ability, and indeed lack of in some cases.

Occasionally though, you would find a real little gem, such as a previously unreleased song, and that was always a thrill. Sometimes you could understand why these songs were dumped, like the truly awful

Bobber

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 08:54:02 PM »

About Have You Heard The Word

I had put this on the bootlegsection, but as some members don't go there (unfortunately...), I thought I'd post it here too. I found this on another forum and thought it might be interesting.

Anyone else have a opinion on this released track in the late 1960's who everyone thought was The Beatles. The track is found on various bootlegs as well.

A legitimate release !
"Have You Heard The Word" regularly appears on Beatles Bootlegs as a 'long lost' Beatles recording.
Here follows the true story, and full details of the recording and subsequent releases.
Two Australians Steve Kipner and Steve Groves arrived in England early in 1969 and were signed by Maurice Gibb for his new production company under the band name of "Tin Tin". Maurice Gibb already knew Steve Kipner, as Steve was the son of Nat Kipner, who had been involved with the Bee Gees last Australian album, plus Steve had recorded the Gibb song "Little Miss Rhythm and Blues" with his band "Steve and the Board."

Kipner and Groves had written a song entitled "Have You Heard The Word" which they intended to record at their next recording session at which Maurice Gibb was due to produce. At the rehearsal session in August 1969 at the I.B.C. studio in London, Maurice arrived with his wife (at the time), Lulu, and her brother Billy Laurie, plus most importantly for this destined for legendary status session, a bottle of Johnnie Walker scotch !

The bottle was consumed by all, which left the band too drunk to sing, so just for a joke the two Steve's, Maurice Gibb and Billy Laurie put on headphones and crowded around the studio mike. Using a backing track for the intended song that had been recorded earlier by Kipner and Groves, they launched into a Beatles impersonation (with deliberation). The only recording was made live, with no overdubs made afterwards. Basically, it was just a good laugh ... a good sing-song ... then everyone went home.

The song was NOT intended for release, and the tape of the session's movement from the studio to the cutting room is unknown, although I suspect a recording engineer somewhere out there could complete that part of the story.

The track appeared on a single in 1970 on the Beacon label (catalogue number BEA 160), which although could be bought through legitimate record shops (as indeed I did), it is now considered to be a slightly unofficial release. Under the unknown band name of The Fut, the word on the streets was that this WAS a Beatles "undercover" release.
The instrumental B-side, "Futting", is reported as being an unrelated piece of filler.
In May 1974 Abigail Music registered a US copyright for Kipner and Groves of the song.

From then on, the track appeared firstly on the bootleg album "Have You Heard The Word" on the infamous CBM label (catalogue number WEC 3624) in 1975 see it here, followed by many other Boots over the years.

One final twist to the saga of "Have You Heard The Word", is that Yoko Ono also registered a U.S. copyright under Lenono Music for John Lennon on 20th September 1985 !

That all said, it IS a very good song that at the time was definately spot on in the Beatle style of words and music, and is worthy of being in the core collection of any Beatles fan.

Discussions here: http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/m-1156245881/
I have this song on the hdd and will try to post it tomorrow.

Bobber

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 08:56:54 PM »

Quote from: 483
Klaatu is a band that springs to mind when thinking of possible Beatles songs. Their first album - sounding very Beatlesesque - was released without any band information, leading to rumours that it was a reunited Beatles. Bobber can fill you in on that more than I.

I might.  ;D  I will write an essay about Klaatu one of these days. Quite busy at the moment.

Bobber

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 12:38:44 PM »

Some information on Klaatu. I took this from maccalennons beatlesboard

Rumours emerged in 1973 that the Beatles had reformed under an assumed name, Klaatu. On August 3 1976, Capitol released an anonymous album by the group 'Klaatu'. (Daffodil Records marketed the album in the UK).

Track listing was as follows:

Calling Ocupants Of Interplanetary Craft
California Jam
Anus Of Uranus
Sub Rosa Speedway
True Life Hero
Doctor Marvello
Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III
Little Neutrino

Their music was pleasant, layered pop, with self-conscious psychadelic references to the Sgt Pepper era, resembling other artists in this period, such as Pink Floyd, ELO, Yes and Queen. They remained an obscure group until 1977, when Charlie Parker, a DJ on WDRC in Providence, Rhode Island, played one of the tracks on his show. Hundreds of listeners phoned, convinced he had played a new Beatle record.

An article by Steve Smith in the 'Providence Journal' soon followed claiming that Klaatu was the Beatles. He suggested there were some 150 clues and pieces of evidence which pointed to a 'Klaatu Konspiracy'. These included...

- A University of Miami voice print test on Klaatu and McCartney recordings which proved the lead vocalist was the same.

- Australian disc jockey with evidence to show that the 'Klaatu' album was an unreleased Beatles album called 'Sun' (the cover for 'Klaatu' depicts a smiling sun)

- Playing 'Sub Rosa Subway' backwards, using a low speed frequency ocillator and filters revealed the message 'Its us, its the Beeeeetles!'

- On the cover of his 'Goodnight Vienna' album, Ringo Starr's head was shown superimposed on the body of a character from the film 'The Day The Earth Stood Still'. The character's name? Klaatu. The connection was strenthened by Apple promotional material for 'Goodnight Vienna', which said 'Don't Forget - Klaatu Barada Nikto'

There was no biographical info on the cover, while the group's manager, Frank Davis, when asked directly if Klaatu were the Beatles, refused to confirm or deny the rumour

Likewise, Capitol, far from denying the allegations, went so far as to circulate the 'Providence Journal' article, and within 8 weeks, the album had sold 300,000 copies.

Later, the group's members were identified as Canadian session musicians John Woloschuk (also known as L.M.Carpenter and Chip Dale), Terry Draper, David Long and Dino Tome, but despite this, the Klaatu Kraze continued, especially in Australia, where Beatle fan John Squires issued a 34 page booklet called 'Under An Assumed Name: The Beatles Secret Reunion'. Their most well-known song, 'Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft' was even covered by 'The Carpenters', becaming a Top 40 hit.

Klaatu went on to release 5 more albums. Their follow up was called 'Hope' and was released in 1977 The track listing was as follows:

We're Off You Know
Madman
Around The Universe In Eighty Days
Long Live Politzania
The Loneliest Of Creatures
Prelude
So Said The Lighthouse Keeper
Hope

'Hope' was followed by 'Sir Army Suit' ('78 ) with maybe their most famous single A Routine Day, 'Endangered Species' ('80) and 'Magenta Lane' ('81). However, lack of public interest and chart success saw the group split up in 1981. A compilation album, 'Klassic Klaatu' followed the break-up in 1982. Capitol rereleased 'Klaatu' and 'Hope' as a Special Double Play CD (CDP 7978002) in 1992.

The only clear connection between Klaatu and George Martin was that David Long became head programmer in a computer room at Martin's AIR Studios. As the group had hidden behind the name 'Klaatu', no details on producers or writers is available.

I love the design of their albums:

Bobber

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 12:49:32 PM »

This is Have You Heard The Word:
[sound]http://h1.ripway.com/Bobber1/FavouriteFabFakes-10-HaveYouHeardTheWord.mp3[/sound]

and The Candle Burns aka Peace Of Mind:
[sound]http://h1.ripway.com/Bobber1/CandleBurnsPeacemp3[/sound]

Mellotroniac

• A Beginning
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 03:36:10 AM »

Now according to this guys info, Paul and Ringo are going to cover or sing along with this song sometime this summer. Seems doubtful, but its a decent Lennonesque sound.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PDI9_vN5rs" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PDI9_vN5rs</a>
&quot;No one around you will love you today and throw it all away...&quot;<br />&quot;Nothing is real...&quot;<br />&quot;Its all in the mind...&quot;<br />&quot;And life flows on within you and w

Mellotroniac

• A Beginning
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 03:48:45 AM »

"1976 REUNION TAPES" And then there's this bizzare artifact, I really wonder if it was real at all!
http://www.beatlesource.com/bs/to-76r.html

Joe

• A Beginning
    • The Beatles Bible
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 02:45:18 PM »

Hi. I don't know if this has been discussed previously on here - I couldn't find anything via the Search.

For those who don't know about it, there's some info on Carnival Of Light here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival_of_Light
http://abbeyrd.best.vwh.net/carnival.htm

Paul wanted to include it on Anthology 2 but was vetoed by 'George' (presumably Harrison, as I doubt George Martin would be able to overrule McCartney).

I'm interested in a specific comment by Ian MacDonald in Revolution In The Head, along the lines of, "For various reasons it'll never be released". Does anyone know what these reasons might be?

MacDonald's last revised edition was published in 2005, nearly a decade after Anthology, and some time after George Harrison died. I can't think what the issues might be. Copyright? It was recorded in EMI time, but I doubt they'd mind a sought-after Beatles recording going on sale. Lennon/Harrison estates not wanting it to be issued? Hardly proof that it'll "never" come out, as we know these things can change.

I know McCartney's spoken about releasing it on a number of occasions, so fingers crossed for the future.
http://www.beatlesbible.com - come and say hi, and PM me any suggestions. It's a work in progress but you'll get the idea...

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 04:13:14 PM »

I think I remember reading in a magazine years ago that George's objection was that the track was never intended for the Beatles, but since I can't remember who said it (it wasn't George), I'm afraid that's not much as evidence. Ian MacDonald doesn't give any reason for his categorical statement that "Carnival Of Light" will "never" be released, so I'm inclined to write that off as authorial speculation- but that isn't to say that time won't prove him to be perfectly correct anyway.

Ged

• A Beginning
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 03:56:30 PM »

Thanks for those essays on peace of mind and have you heard the word Bobber. I have these, bought the bootlegs cos of them when wet behind the ears back in the mid 70s and i'm over it now but quite sorry they don't belong to the Beatles as I liked them and I still do. I even wrote all the words down to them and so it was good to get clarification of them on that piece above.

Another couple of songs I have on a bootleg, now no longer attributed to the Beatles are:

People say and I'm Walking.

Bobber

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 02:19:54 PM »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjsVyv-CT-U" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjsVyv-CT-U</a>

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 10:59:05 AM »

sounds  like Badfinger

Page created in 0.619 seconds with 68 queries.