Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: George Harrison's smoking habits  (Read 6743 times)

kj78

• One And One Is Two
George Harrison's smoking habits
« on: December 19, 2016, 03:51:38 PM »

I've been reading many Beatles-books, and a couple focused on George Harrison's life. I have found a lot of information about Harrison's cigarette smoking habits, but strangely, none of the books I have read doesn't mention when Harrison quit smoking marijuana. This question has been bothered me for a long time. I have also done deep searching through the Net, but never found any article covering this little fact about his life.

Does anybody know where I can find this information, and give source(s) to the book(s), or article(s) (maybe with page numbers)?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 03:53:59 PM by kj78 »

KelMar

Re: George Harrison's smoking habits
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 04:27:43 PM »

Welcome to the forum kj78! I haven't come across that piece of information about George but hopefully someone else here can help you.

Fab4Fan

• Getting Better
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 05:13:25 AM »

Have you read I, Me, Mine? I'm thinking that's the book most likely to have info regarding that topic. It's been many years since I've read it and I don't remember if George addressed that issue or not.
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 06:52:30 PM »

I've had that book for years but have never really read it (although I've skimmed it multiple times).  It's mostly George chronicling and describing songs he wrote.  On the left page, he writes his reflections.  On the right, he shows his handwritten lyrics from when he first composed them.

Here's a sample:  "SAVOY TRUFFLE is a funny one written whilst hanging out with Eric Clapton in the sixties.  At that time, he had a lot of cavities in his teeth and needed dental work.  He always had a toothache but he ate a lot of chocolates - he couldn't resist them and once he saw a box he had to eat them all.  He was over at my house and I had a box of "Good News" chocolates on the table and wrote the song from the names inside the lid:  Creme Tangerine, Montelimar, A Ginger Sling with a Pineapple Heart, A Coffee Dessert, Yet you know it's Good News, But you'll have to have them all pulled out, After the Savoy Truffle!"  I got stuck with the two bridges for a while and Derek Taylor wrote some of the words in the middle ... you know that what you eat you are ...

I don't think there's any references to his use of weed in the book.

Also, some of you may recall that John Lennon was mad at George for not crediting him as an influence, muse or mentor in the book.  John apparently felt he was a major factor in George's overall growth and development as a musician and songwriter.

Seems like the Beatles were always mad at each other for some crazy reason.
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

Harlena McStarkney

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 04:00:20 PM »

So I don't have this book, but I found this in the Google books preview. 
Apparently he was doing "drugs" (not specified) at least until the early 90's?

From 'George Harrison: Behind The Locked Door' by Graeme Thomson, page... something.  Google didn't say....

"During a rather sad and slightly drunken call from Sydney in the summer of 1985 Harrison told Michael Palin that he had given up all drugs and kicked (for now, in any case) cigarettes, but he had periods of indulgence much later than that.  He told another old friend, Al Aronowitz, in the early Nineties that his excesses "got me to the point where I said, 'Jesus!  I gotta do something here!'" The solution, he said, was meditation. "I had forgotten totally that that's what it was all about - to release the stress out of your system.  And I got back into that.  I do a double-dose now and it's like, say, whereas an alcoholic can't go through a day without going to AA or doing some kind of a program like that, for me it's th emeditation program.  In order to keep myself focused and keep the buoyancy, the energy, and also to realise that all this stuff that's going on is just bulls***." "
Love, love is a verb. Love is a doing word.

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 49 queries.