Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I'll Be On My Way  (Read 6392 times)

Yamisonic

• A Beginning
  • Love is all and love is everyone
I'll Be On My Way
« on: June 27, 2005, 12:51:39 PM »

Opinions? It's one of my favourite songs ever. Tied with some others for the best lyrics. I love it!

"Life is what happens while you are busy making plans" -- John Lennon
"Love has a nasty habit of disappearing overnig

Re: I'll Be On My Way
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 03:32:03 PM »

i love it!!!

Yamisonic

• A Beginning
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 04:11:29 PM »

I like John's voice in that track, makes me feel special :)

In Blue Hawaii

• Getting Better
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 04:20:37 PM »

One of the reasons why I love Live At The BBC so much

Yamisonic

• A Beginning
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 04:23:57 PM »

Yeah ... Definitively the best track in there. Sure, the studio versions of some of those tracks are better. But among the live ones, that one is the best.

Bobber

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 06:04:07 PM »

Sorry guys, don't agree. The middle part is the part that weakens the song, in my humble opinion. One can wonder why the Beatles never recorded it properly and gave the song away. I guess they found something lacking to the song. The harmonies are nice though.

Yamisonic

• A Beginning
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 06:48:26 PM »

Yeah, the middle part's not so nice, but it's fun anyway. The verse, though, is so powerful its what makes the song so awesome!

Yamisonic

• A Beginning
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2005, 06:55:27 PM »

Oh, I forgot to add, anyone has the studio version? I think it's played at the start of Part 2 in Anthology 1, like for ten seconds. Anyone has it? I'd like to listen to it.

Bobber

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2005, 07:10:55 PM »

Just listened to it on Anthology 2. It's true it's played in the background on the issue of the Saturday Club, but to me it looks the same version as the BBC-recording. As far as I know, that is the only known recording of I'll Be On My Way by The Beatles.

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2005, 08:22:06 PM »

I have a vague memory that John said that he wanted to write a song where he had the courage to rhyme June and moon, in best time-honored pure-schmaltz fashion. I'LL BE ON MY WAY is the result, and I think he "played strong, done fine".

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2005, 05:34:24 PM »

actually, it IS one of the tracks that makes live at the bbc so great, along with young blood...didnt they give it to another band to record?

Bobber

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2005, 05:46:31 PM »

They gave it to Billy J Kramer & the Dakota's. You can pick it up here for a week from now.

http://s21.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2T6608CZTWTJ2361LOSP0WAA2Y

Brynjar

• Getting Better
I'll Be On My Way
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 04:44:39 PM »

I have a confession to make. Until today, I had never heard this song before. Yes I know, it´s included on the Live at the BBC. Guess I have to listen to it more often. According to Wikipedia, "I'll Be on My Way" is considered to be the first song that Lennon and McCartney "gave away".

I like it a lot. I think it´s as good as many of the songs included on Please Please Me and With the Beatles.

The Beatles - I'll Be On My Way (Live At The BBC)

They were the most brilliant, powerful, lovable, popular group on the planet. - Q, 1995.

Bobber

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 08:07:04 AM »

. According to Wikipedia, "I'll Be on My Way" is considered to be the first song that Lennon and McCartney "gave away".

That's correct. It was recorded on 21st March, 1963 and became to b-side to Do You Want To Know A Secret by Billy J Kramer and the Dakota's. Bad To Me was the second one, recorded in June that year and also released by Billy. The whole bunch was uploaded in the bootleg zone some time ago, including demo's by The Beatles (as far as available) and the recordings by the artists that made these songs hits.

BILLY J Kramer and The Dakotas _ I'll Be On My Way.wmv

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 11:45:53 AM »

That's correct. It was recorded on 21st March, 1963 and became to b-side to Do You Want To Know A Secret by Billy J Kramer and the Dakota's.

The Beatles version of I'll Be On My Way was recorded for the BBC on 4 April 1963 (and transmitted on the radio programme Side By Side on 24 June 1963). So, even though the Beatles had already given the song to Billy J Kramer by 4 April (his recording was done in March 1963), they went ahead and recorded their own version for the BBC anyway. I wonder if they still had an idea that they might record their own version of this song for their next album. Otherwise, why would the entire band learn a song that had already been given to someone else?

I wonder if they ever played the song live. They were still appearing at the Cavern at this point so it might have appeared in the set, I suppose, which would explain why the whole band knew the song well enough to record it for the BBC.

Bobber

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2011, 12:01:26 PM »

Don't know if they ever played it live. I've found some setlist from early 1963;

http://abbeyrd.best.vwh.net/news/722vintagesetlist.html

http://wogew.blogspot.com/2008/07/majestic-ballroom-luton.html

Neither of them does mention I'll Be On My Way in their lists.

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2011, 12:41:44 PM »

it was only played during the BBC Performances.

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2011, 03:54:23 PM »

Don't know if they ever played it live. I've found some setlist from early 1963;

http://abbeyrd.best.vwh.net/news/722vintagesetlist.html

http://wogew.blogspot.com/2008/07/majestic-ballroom-luton.html

Neither of them does mention I'll Be On My Way in their lists.

Strange to see how many cover versions they were still putting in their sets by April 1963, even though they had already released an LP plus two singles (and the songs for the third single had been written and recorded too - released on 11 April 1963).
So they had lots of original material plus a bunch of cover songs that they had recorded for their PPM album, yet they chose to perform other cover songs that never made it onto Beatles records at all (other than the BBC sessions they did).
Songs like Beautiful Dreamer, 3 Cool Cats, Hey Good Looking, Keep Your Hands Off My Baby, etc.
They obviously enjoyed playing them live but didn't feel they were suitable for a record release.

And it still doesn't answer why I'll Be On My Way was played on a BBC session when it had already been given to another artist.  :)

Bobber

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2011, 04:04:26 PM »

I guess they were relying on the setlist of previous years to have success. The BBC sessions are full with songs like these and I do wish they had recorded them sooner or later.

I'll have a listen to the Complete BBC Sessions tomorrow. Maybe there is an introduction to I'll Be On My Way.

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2011, 05:00:24 PM »

I guess they were relying on the setlist of previous years to have success. The BBC sessions are full with songs like these and I do wish they had recorded them sooner or later.

I'll have a listen to the Complete BBC Sessions tomorrow. Maybe there is an introduction to I'll Be On My Way.

Yeah, songs such as Soldiers of Love and Clarabella were great. At least we have the BBc versions - there are many songs that they played at the Cavern etc that we have no record of  :(

I just dug out my Purple Chick BBC set and there is no info in the programme about I'll Be On My Way - the intro mentions George having lost his voice and the outro just gives the song title.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.422 seconds with 79 queries.