Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Am I the only one that thinks JLPOB is garbage?  (Read 35320 times)

Re: Am I the only one that thinks JLPOB is garbage?
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2004, 09:08:00 PM »

When you listen to an album, yes, you ARE expecting some good songs.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2004, 10:17:26 PM »

[quote by=Joe_Karlosi link=Blah.pl?b=lennon,m=1090360487,s=20 date=1090530480]
:D[/quote]

This is what I'm talking about, Joe.  You show that adults are just as ignorant as some of the kids, and it's a shame too.  You read one line of that and didn't even finish, so excuse me for being profane, but please shut the f' up.  And no one telling me to calm myself will stop me from saying that again.  They're rants, and that's what I think of them.  God is a mediocre song IMO.  So, all I can say is:

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D on you.

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2004, 10:20:17 PM »

And since I think you're an impatient prick (once again, tell me to calm myself and I'll call you that again), here's what I said:

"And believe me, for someone who has studied The Beatles for a while and knows more than some adults know (just not many in here on the count of many people who come to Beatles forums are true Beatle Fans), I was underwhelmed and unimpressed, and then got off to hating the album."

So before you flaunt your "superior age" to me, read that first and then shut your mouth.  I said SOME adults, not all, if you know English.  And I said the people that come to Beatles forums, like THIS one, meaning I'm not claiming ANY superiority to anyone here.  I do, however, know enough about the Beatles to judge this album in comparison to many other of Lennon's works.

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2004, 11:27:08 PM »

First of all, I DID read "your entire response," and I took the time to soak it in first. Just because I only chose to highlight only the opening line does not mean otherwise.

I'm not going to stoop to your level and call you a "prick", 'Frightwolf' --- and while I'm not going to "flaunt my superior age," I will say I'm damn proud of being born in 1962 and I thank God I'm not any younger in 2004 than I am now (in fact, I wouldn't even mind being 10 years older today -- means I've had even more better and classic times under my belt! ;)

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2004, 11:28:59 PM »

It can touch people in all the ways in the world, but that doesn't mean it'll be pleasing to the ear.  Whatever happened to listening to music (like classical music) and just wanting to hear something NICE?

Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral, for example.  It can be about love all it wants, but if it's bland with no dynamic contrast or power or intonation, it'll sound like garbage.  It, however, is a spectacular piece of music of epic proportions and DOES get the idealistic love message across.

JLPOB just doesn't do that good of a job at what it does, not to mention that the God song doesn't surprise me.  It seems like a normal pessimistic tune that he would write, stating the obvious to boot, and something that I could not listen to in the car or at home. 

I, of course, will continue to listen to some of these tunes again just to find out what the hell are you talking about, but as it stands, the album is garbage.

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2004, 11:31:54 PM »

Yeah, 444 ------

How about addressing some key points that some of us have made? Start being "adult" and opening your mind. Look at the things we've suggested, see it in the proper light. If you still don't "get it," at least you've tried with some understanding.

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2004, 11:33:54 PM »

[quote by=Joe_Karlosi link=Blah.pl?b=lennon,m=1090360487,s=25 date=1090539114]Yeah, 444 ------

How about addressing some key points that some of us have made? Start being "adult" and opening your mind. Look at the things we've suggested, see it in the proper light. If you still don't "get it," at least you've tried with some understanding.[/quote]

I put 444 because I was thinking of how to phrase it, and then pressed Send by mistake

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2004, 11:35:06 PM »

You also shouldn't be talking about being more "adult" when you behaved more impatient than a child in this thread: "Hey, I read three of the words in Frightwolf's post, so now I'll just make a :D face! I AM CLEVER!!!1111"

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2004, 11:41:05 PM »

It can touch people in all the ways in the world, but that doesn't mean it'll be pleasing to the ear.

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2004, 11:43:45 PM »

You also shouldn't be talking about being more "adult" when you behaved more impatient than a child in this thread: "Hey, I read three of the words in Frightwolf's post, so now I'll just make a  face! I AM CLEVER!!!

I made the face because I think your view of this album is hilariously off. :D

Also, I think YOU failed to read all of MY post previously where I just explained how I DID, in fact, read all of your writing before I laughed. It's just that I chose to highlight the one line when I responded.  :)

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2004, 11:48:38 PM »

[quote by=Joe_Karlosi link=Blah.pl?b=lennon,m=1090360487,s=28 date=1090539665]

Maybe then you HAVEN'T heard the three songs I've mentioned? They're "nice" enough.
But the whole point of POB is that John wanted to discover himself and completely shatter the "nicey-nice beatles image" anyway. It's not really supposed to be that nice. I'd suggest you read his 1970 ROLLING STONE interview (available in a book as LENNON REMEMBERS) and hear John talk about the album (he thought hit was the best thing he'd ever done).

Naturally you're entitled to your opinion, but GOD is still pretty universally hailed as one of John's finest works. I don't think it's very "obvious" when John says he "doesn't believe in Beatles". That was a hell of a shock - especially then.

The word "Garbage" is what spawned a lot of my attitude, you might like to know. Whether you like the record or not, that word isn't even a possibility. [/quote]

After Help!, it's not really a shock that he didn't believe in the Beatles.  He was always angry at Paul (said that Paul didn't want Harrison to have so many songs on the White Album because he wanted more Paul songs, said he'd like Something and Come Together to listen to on one album and the rest somewhere else so he wouldn't have to listen to it), so obviously he realized that this was getting to Paul's head, especially with that note he wrote to Linda and Paul.  Add in the aforementioned Help!, and it's no surprise.

Despite the fact that we are almost forced to be politically correct, no one said this country isn't free anymore.  Thus I'll call anything I want garbage.

And because the songs aren't "nice enough", I really don't think they're pleasing to the ear.  And even though I'll listen to those songs you mentioned when I get the opportunity, THREE SONGS DOESN'T SAVE AN ALBUM.

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2004, 11:51:04 PM »

[quote by=Joe_Karlosi link=Blah.pl?b=lennon,m=1090360487,s=29 date=1090539825]

I made the face because I think your view of this album is hilariously off. :D

Also, I think YOU failed to read all of MY post previously where I just explained how I DID, in fact, read all of your writing before I laughed. It's just that I chose to highlight the one line when I responded.

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2004, 11:53:25 PM »

I'd like to thank Frightwolf for giving so many of us a laugh!

Pal, you can call it garbage - but that doesn't make it so.

I'd go back and read what Joe has written: he does know what he's talking about.

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2004, 11:57:36 PM »

[quote by=Maria link=Blah.pl?b=lennon,m=1090360487,s=32 date=1090540405]I'd like to thank Frightwolf for giving so many of us a laugh!

Pal, you can call it garbage - but that doesn't make it so.

I'd go back and read what Joe has written: he does know what he's talking about.[/quote]

I'd like to thank you for being so honest, yet just as idiotic.   :)

Pal, you can call it great - but that doesn't make it so.  Don't be sardonic with me.

number14

• A Thousand Pages
  • I like the beatles a lot
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2004, 11:59:34 PM »

Whats wtf?

Paul McCartney :)

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2004, 11:59:39 PM »

Thanks, Maria :)

As for Political Correctness, you don't even WANT to go there with me, believe me, Frightwolf! I am the greatest hater of PC you'll ever meet, and I think it's ruining our country. So I certainly wasn't challenging your right to use the word "garbage" - but rather saying it just doesn't fit the album. And we all think you're quite entertaining :)

I think your thread is "garbage". 

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2004, 12:00:13 AM »

The Wolfs barking and I love it! If Fright doesnt like the album,,,,,so be it. Different tastes for different people. BUT,,,,I will have to say that some ridicule had to be expected when you throw the term 'garbage' around one of the higher respected albums of Johns.

Anyways, this is one of those threads that can be enjoyed from the sidelines. I love a good debate especially when it doesnt envolve me.  :)

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2004, 12:02:15 AM »

[quote by=Frightwolf link=Blah.pl?b=lennon,m=1090360487,s=33 date=1090540656]

I'd like to thank you for being so honest, yet just as idiotic.

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2004, 12:03:24 AM »

[quote by=Joe_Karlosi link=Blah.pl?b=lennon,m=1090360487,s=35 date=1090540779]Thanks, Maria :)

As for Political Correctness, you don't even WANT to go there with me, believe me, Frightwolf! I am the greatest hater of PC you'll ever meet, and I think it's ruining our country. So I certainly wasn't challenging your right to use the word "garbage" - but rather saying it just doesn't fit the album. And we all think you're quite entertaining :)

I think your thread is "garbage".

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2004, 12:03:45 AM »

[quote by=Joe_Karlosi link=Blah.pl?b=lennon,m=1090360487,s=35 date=1090540779]
 I am the greatest hater of PC you'll ever meet[/quote]

What do you have against PC? I think he's a cool person.  ;)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 75 queries.