Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: 70's Music ?  (Read 16198 times)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: 70's Music ?
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2013, 04:49:07 AM »

In rock/pop music, there's nothing like the 60's, before or after that decade. Even my favorite albums of the 70's were done by 60's artists: Plastic Ono Band, Imagine, Mind Games, Walls And Bridges and Rock 'N' Roll by John Lennon; Band On The Run by Paul McCartney; All Things Must Pass by George Harrison; Who's Next, Quadrophenia, The Who By Numbers and Who Are You by the Who; Sticky Fingers and Exile On Main Street by the Rolling Stones; Lola by the Kinks; Morrison Hotel and L.A. Woman by the Doors; Workingman's Dead and American Beauty by Grateful Dead; Twelve Dreams Of Dr. Sardonicus by Spirit; etc.

And "Aye, mate!" to you too, Nowhere Man.  I'll add The Moody Blues, The Allman Brothers Band, and The Steve Miller Band.
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2013, 05:07:36 AM »

I tend to refrain from one-sentenced opinions when it comes to things as vast as a whole decade. I don't think it's fair to say that "the 70's were worse than the 60's" or "the 80's suck" or anything like this, because we're not talking about a song, or an album, but a whole freakin' decade. Yes, some of the 70's and 80's mainstream may have sucked more than before (Eagles selling that many albums is a crime). But let's not forget that there's much more to it than the radio hits. Tons of different musical scenes, filled with tons of different artists, playing tons of different styles. It has always been that way and it still is now. I don't see how it can be possible for one to hate a decade as a whole (hell, even a year as a whole), unless the said person hates rock/jazz/pop/blues/etc. music altogether. It's just way too vast of a subject, and deserves days and filled forum pages of analysis.

This is not a replay to anybody in particular, just some thoughts.

There's a one-sentence opinion right there, Ovi.  They sold a lot of albums because people liked their music.  People liked America too.  Here in the United States, we were in desperate need of some laid-back music after the tumultuous decade we just experienced.  Also, you're looking at the 70s retrospectively.  At the time there was no comparison able to be made to music of the decades to follow, only the years prior.  We had what we had and for many of us the pickings were slim.

KelMar

« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2013, 05:59:39 AM »

I think discussions like this prove what others have said before: music is very subjective. It's also strongly tied to emotions and individual experiences. There's a lot of songs I like in large part because of the memories attached to them. I would admit that they might not be the greatest songs ever but the feelings they evoke are priceless. Of course there are songs that I would rather have my eyelashes yanked out than listen to, good memories or not! It's great to have a place like this where people share what they like. I don't always agree but I have found a lot of new things to love that I probably would not have found on my own.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2013, 09:57:40 AM »

There's a one-sentence opinion right there, Ovi.  They sold a lot of albums because people liked their music.  People liked America too.  Here in the United States, we were in desperate need of some laid-back music after the tumultuous decade we just experienced.  Also, you're looking at the 70s retrospectively.  At the time there was no comparison able to be made to music of the decades to follow, only the years prior.  We had what we had and for many of us the pickings were slim.

The Eagles thing was more of a joke. I don't really hate them, could've just as well said Donna Summer or Foreigner. The point I was trying to make is that the mainstream, in many cases, is not representative for the music of the time.

Barry, I don't really have an argument for you feeling underwhelmed by the music of the 70's after having experienced the 60's. It just strikes me as weird, with so many musical scenes and so many artists: Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, prog rock (Genesis, King Crimson, Yes, Jethro Tull), jazzy rock (Steely Dan, Chicago), confessional singer-songwriters (Bruce Springsteen, Tom Waits, Carole King, Joni Mitchell, James Taylor), glam rock (Bowie, T.Rex, Lou Reed), motown/soul (Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder releasing critically-aclaimed albums), heavy metal (Black Sabbath, Deep Purple), then later Punk and New Wave (Clash, Television, Ramones, Talking Heads, Blondie)etc. And these are only few examples of the most well-known scenes (I'll bet there was much more than this going on in the late 70's American CBGB scene, for example).

Really, I don't know how can anybody feel underwhelmed while having so much good music to listen to, other than perhaps nostalgia for the whole "hippie scene" or something like this. But as you said, I haven't experienced it, so maybe I'm missing something.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 10:02:24 AM by Ovi »
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2013, 10:50:06 AM »

I think of the 60's as finding the bottle, and the 70's as letting the genie out.

:P

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

nimrod

« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2013, 08:55:13 PM »

I think of the 60's as finding the bottle, and the 70's as letting the genie out.

Thats brilliant Klang ;)

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2013, 12:00:49 AM »

I couldn't have said it better.  Many musical barriers were broken in the 60s.  In the 70s many artists ran through the barriers and looked (and often found) further barriers to break.  Yes a lot of those were 60s artists but that doesn't diminish the great music that was created in the 70s.

I lived through both decades and love the music from both.
What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

nimrod

« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2013, 12:12:06 AM »

I couldn't have said it better.  Many musical barriers were broken in the 60s.  In the 70s many artists ran through the barriers and looked (and often found) further barriers to break.  Yes a lot of those were 60s artists but that doesn't diminish the great music that was created in the 70s.

I lived through both decades and love the music from both.

me too ibanez, I love the 60's (especially The Beatles) but most of my very favourite music (other than Beatles) is from the 70's, whether it was Yes, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Gentle Giant, PFM, Eloy, Moody Blues, Barclay James Harvest, ELP, The Pretty Things, Jethro Tull, Mike Oldfield, Genesis..... the genie was out of the bottle and there were no barriers as to what could be done.

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2013, 12:18:00 AM »

me too ibanez, I love the 60's (especially The Beatles) but most of my very favourite music (other than Beatles) is from the 70's, whether it was Yes, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Gentle Giant, PFM, Eloy, Moody Blues, Barclay James Harvest, ELP, The Pretty Things, Jethro Tull, Mike Oldfield, Genesis..... the genie was out of the bottle and there were no barriers as to what could be done.

I enjoyed seeing how some 60s bands evolved and grew.  The Who come to mind.  Who's Next and Quadrophenia are light-years beyond the band that had very rudimentary musicianship when they started out.  Tommy was the start of the maturation however.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2013, 01:46:12 AM »

Let's see, y'all mentioned Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Genesis, King Crimson, Yes, Jethro Tull, Chicago, Bruce Springsteen, Joni Mitchell, James Taylor, David Bowie, T.Rex, Lou Reed, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, The Moody Blues, The Who, Barclay James Harvest, Mike Oldfield, and The Pretty Things.  They all started in the 60s and developed further over the next decade and in some case more.  Carole King began her career in the 50s.

George, I agree with you about barriers being broken in the 60s but I'm not sure what further barriers were broken by those 60s artists who continued their careers into the 70s.  I think they just advanced their genre of music during that decade.

I'm not completely down on 70s music.  I like a lot of the artists mentioned above.  I just had trouble liking Heavy Metal, Disco, Punk Rock and New Wave, with a few exceptions for New Wave.

What else did we get in 70s? 

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2013, 02:34:28 AM »

Let's see, y'all mentioned Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Genesis, King Crimson, Yes, Jethro Tull, Chicago, Bruce Springsteen, Joni Mitchell, James Taylor, David Bowie, T.Rex, Lou Reed, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, The Moody Blues, The Who, Barclay James Harvest, Mike Oldfield, and The Pretty Things.  They all started in the 60s and developed further over the next decade and in some case more.  Carole King began her career in the 50s.

George, I agree with you about barriers being broken in the 60s but I'm not sure what further barriers were broken by those 60s artists who continued their careers into the 70s.  I think they just advanced their genre of music during that decade.

I'm not completely down on 70s music.  I like a lot of the artists mentioned above.  I just had trouble liking Heavy Metal, Disco, Punk Rock and New Wave, with a few exceptions for New Wave.

Well yeah,  70s  music didn't spring fully born from the head of Zeus. Without the great music of the 60s, none of the great stuff from the 70s would have happened.

What else did we get in the 70s?  Barry, we got Wishbone Ash, Elton John, Cheap Trick, Heart, Kansas, Robin Trower, The Allman Brothers Band, Thin Lizzy, Electric Light Orchestra, Todd Rundgren, etc.  No Disco, Punk, Metal or New Wave there.  Just good rock and pop music.

Even though they are not a favorite, I think Yes was looking to go beyond rock with a lot of their stuff.  I really do think they broke some new barriers.  Pink Floyd is another band who come to mind. Wish You Were Here is like nothing that came before.

Don't get me wrong.  I have and love a LOT of 60s music.  But the 70s was much more than The Sex Pistols and the spinning silver ball above the dance floor.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2013, 02:51:37 AM »

As I mentioned to Nowhere Man, The Allman Brothers started up in the 60s.  I like them a lot, especially Dickey Betts!  Great Southern Rock!  Elton John started in the 60s too.  I like his early stuff like Honky Château.  All I remember about Todd Rundgren is Hello It's Me.  ELO was pretty good.  I never heard of Cheap Trick, Wishbone Ash, Robin Trower and Thin Lizzy.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 03:07:16 AM by Hello Goodbye »

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2013, 03:01:56 AM »

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2013, 03:07:15 AM »

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2013, 03:10:40 AM »

KelMar

« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2013, 03:28:48 AM »

I never heard of Cheap Trick

They did that song Day Tripper.
http://youtu.be/mueDB3KyP_s

;D

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2013, 03:32:33 AM »

Not a bit like Cagney.

nimrod

« Reply #77 on: August 02, 2013, 09:41:42 AM »

Progressive Rock

Dmitry

• Administrator
  • A Thousand Pages
    • www.murashev.com
« Reply #78 on: August 02, 2013, 01:19:02 PM »

In 70s a lot of great music was written, for example, Die Walküre, Aida, Carmen, Eugene Onegin.
Oops! I meant XIX century  ha2ha

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2013, 05:15:27 AM »

^

;)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Page created in 6.738 seconds with 82 queries.