Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: John and Paul on the Tonight Show  (Read 8342 times)

KelMar

John and Paul on the Tonight Show
« on: May 06, 2011, 04:53:39 AM »

Here's something for when you have a bit of time... Read the transcript first then look at the video. It's still pictures at first but hang in there; there is video eventually. Very poor video and audio but I think it's interesting because it really shows the divide between the younger generation and "the establishment", represented here by Joe Garagiola and Tallulah Bankhead. You can just tell that they don't get John and Paul at all, especially when John leads them into the first commercial. You don't pick up on the condescending attitude from just reading the transcript but without the transcript nothing makes sense on the video. Maybe you've all seen this before but I searched and didn't find it on here.

http://www.dmbeatles.com/interviews.php?interview=64

Tonight Show 14.05.1968 Beatles Homerecording
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: John and Paul on the Tonight Show
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 09:44:51 PM »

Thank you for posting that video, Kelley.  Fortunately, someone filmed it and we have it to enjoy today.

It's too bad Johnny Carson was away.  He would have done a much better job interviewing John and Paul and shared in their humor and we wouldn't have the disconnect we see here.  I also think that the commercial breaks added to the discontinuity.  Reading the transcript, as you suggested, helps this make sense.  But it's obvious on the video that John and Paul had a hard time relating to the two guest hosts and didn't feel very comfortable.
I can stay till it's time to go

KelMar

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 10:11:26 PM »

It's too bad Johnny Carson was away.

I think John and Paul thought so too. One of them said "Where's Johnny?"...several times I think.

Reading the transcript, as you suggested, helps this make sense

I was all excited the first time I found this video but when I watched it I thought, "What the heck was that?" Yea for transcripts.  ;)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 10:33:05 PM »

Johnny Carson was a terrific comedian and talk show host.  He was skilled in interacting with his guests and knew how to put them at ease.  I think that John and Paul were really disappointed that he was away.  Johnny Carson no doubt would have let them do most of the talking and would have led them into commercial breaks differently.
I can stay till it's time to go

Nada Surf

• A Beginning
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 06:54:50 PM »

This is an amazing video. Unfortunately, the main video of this show, like other Carson shows in this period, was destroyed by fire...
I live in Phoenix where Joe Garagiola lives...I'm going to try to get an interview with him this spring specifically about that interview.

TomMo

• A Beginning
  • You Can't Do That
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 03:30:09 PM »

For more background on this appearance, find a copy of Craig Tennis' "Johnny Tonight". Tennis was the talent coordinator who did the pre-interview with John and Paul earlier in the day. They knew Johnny was not working that night, and basicially wanted no part of Joe Garagiola. At one point, they even balked going on unless Tennis conducted the interview himself.

Having been alive on this planet when J&P made their appearance, I watched it...in horror. Prior to their entrance, Garagiola was saying inane things like, "Boy, am I sure going to be a popular guy in my neighborhood after tonight." Worse, Doc and the band did a medley of Beatles' songs before J&P came out...all McCartney songs.

I've often wondered if the bit about being a "cop" didn't trigger Paul's "And so I quit the police department" line in "She Came In Through The Bathroom Window".
"Beware of soft shoe shufflers"

KelMar

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 05:27:18 AM »

For more background on this appearance, find a copy of Craig Tennis' "Johnny Tonight". Tennis was the talent coordinator who did the pre-interview with John and Paul earlier in the day. They knew Johnny was not working that night, and basicially wanted no part of Joe Garagiola. At one point, they even balked going on unless Tennis conducted the interview himself.

Having been alive on this planet when J&P made their appearance, I watched it...in horror. Prior to their entrance, Garagiola was saying inane things like, "Boy, am I sure going to be a popular guy in my neighborhood after tonight." Worse, Doc and the band did a medley of Beatles' songs before J&P came out...all McCartney songs.

I've often wondered if the bit about being a "cop" didn't trigger Paul's "And so I quit the police department" line in "She Came In Through The Bathroom Window".

Sounds like horror was a reasonable reaction. Here's an excerpt from the book you mentioned:

http://archives.absoluteelsewhere.net/TextArchive/BeatlesArchives/backstage_tonightshow.html

TomMo

• A Beginning
  • You Can't Do That
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 02:08:56 AM »

Sounds like horror was a reasonable reaction. Here's an excerpt from the book you mentioned:

http://archives.absoluteelsewhere.net/TextArchive/BeatlesArchives/backstage_tonightshow.html

No doubt the distinguished looking security man had to be Mal. Poor guy. He put up with a lot of crap for the Beatles.
"Beware of soft shoe shufflers"

KelMar

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 07:34:25 AM »

I just stumbled across the full interview. It's worth listening to...honest. There's lots of "What the hell, Tallulah?" moments but also some really funny bits from John and Paul.

"The most embarrassing thing I've ever been on" - John Lennon and Paul McCartney Beatles Interview

Page created in 0.42 seconds with 52 queries.