Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Dear Boy  (Read 3469 times)

Harlena McStarkney

• Getting Better
Dear Boy
« on: May 02, 2004, 09:19:09 PM »

Great song.  Who, if anyone, was this song written for?
Love, love is a verb. Love is a doing word.

Re: Dear Boy
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2004, 09:33:24 PM »

The "dear boy", who doesn't know how much he's missed, is Linda McCartney's first husband.

Some people think it's addressed to John Lennon, but it's not.

Harlena McStarkney

• Getting Better
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2004, 09:41:56 PM »

Ah, that's what I thought...Linda's ex-husband.

Thanks Maria :)
Love, love is a verb. Love is a doing word.

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2004, 12:59:38 AM »

Although Paul has admitted in the odd interview that he could have been writing to John, tho initially he was writing for Linda's ex...

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2004, 07:04:53 AM »

Paul is the master of revisionism.

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2004, 08:16:00 AM »

McCartney accompanied by ghosts
Steve Hammer

When Paul McCartney takes the stage he is accompanied not only by his band but by at least two ghosts.

The two most significant relationships of his life, that with his wife of nearly 30 years, Linda, and his collaborator, John Lennon, at once both enrich and imprison him. No matter what he does, he cannot escape them, even if he wished to.

Whatever Paul does, he can"t avoid comparison with John. Whatever his strengths as a performer - and they are formidable - the ghost of John Lennon weighs upon him.

No matter that John"s career was not perfect; he in fact recorded more unlistenable songs than Paul did in the post-Beatles period. Never mind the fact that Paul has tried to represent the Beatles legacy with dignity and respect.

No matter what he does, Paul will always be compared, generally unfavorably, with his dead bandmate.

It is a role with which few people can sympathize; perhaps one of the few living people who can is Sen. Ted Kennedy. Like Paul, he, too, suffers daily from unfair comparisons to fallen friends. Of course, in Ted Kennedy"s case, the ghosts are his assassinated brothers.

Paul suffers from the same problem. Because he is not John Lennon, he is criticized. Because John himself escaped much scrutiny in life, Paul must be judged by an even harsher standard.

With an objective eye, it"s obvious that Paul"s solo career, though not without its embarrassing moments, was more successful, artistically and commercially, than John"s was from 1970-"80.

That fact is irrelevant to revisionists, who seem not only to want to punish Paul for his own (considerable) artistic sins, but those of John"s and George Harrison"s. At their worst, all three artists have recorded unlistenable albums and songs. But Paul bears the brunt of the ridicule.

Revisionist history has also tarnished the Beatles" legacy, transforming arguably their most successful album, Sgt. Pepper, into a failure. According to this theory, the album is a Paul wankfest with minimal participation from the other members. John and George both expressed doubts about the album"s greatness during their lifetimes.

Wherever Paul goes, he is trapped. He is trapped not only by his own success but by that of his comrades. No matter what he does, he can"t escape the Beatle Paul label. His forays into experimental music are ridiculed, as is his artwork. Never mind that John"s artwork was just as amateurish and his experiments even more unlistenable. Paul must pay for his sins as well.

The only face of Paul McCartney accepted by the masses is that of Beatle Paul, so it"s no surprise that he dons the 40-year-old mask, grabs his Hofner bass and trots out the old standards. He has no other choice.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2004, 09:08:03 AM »

My God! I'm speechless! That was definately one of those, "Put that in your pipe and smoke it!", articles. I'm printing this as I type.

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2004, 01:21:36 PM »

At least DEAR BOY was actually ABOUT someone/thing. I loved it when John was doing his PLAYBOY interview, and the interviewer asked him about Paul's LOVELY RITA.:

PLAYBOY: "was there really a Rita, do you know?"

LENNON: "Nah, he makes 'em up like a novelist!"

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2004, 03:10:26 PM »

[quote by=tkitna link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1083532749,s=6 date=1091351283]My God! I'm speechless! That was definately one of those, "Put that in your pipe and smoke it!", articles. I'm printing this as I type. [/quote]

Agreed.  Interesting take, for sure.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2004, 04:12:19 PM »

Yes, very good article! I'm going to print it off myself.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2004, 11:33:54 PM »

[quote by=Joe_Karlosi link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1083532749,s=7 date=1091366496]At least DEAR BOY was actually ABOUT someone/thing. I loved it when John was doing his PLAYBOY interview, and the interviewer asked him about Paul's LOVELY RITA.:

PLAYBOY: "was there really a Rita, do you know?"

LENNON: "Nah, he makes 'em up like a novelist!"[/quote]

Why does a song, book, or story have to be about an actual person for it to be interesting? I'm not getting your point Joe.

Fab4

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2004, 02:35:50 AM »

Anything to rag on Paul. That's his point. Using John's words no less. It just proves the point of the article doesn't it!?

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2004, 02:41:34 AM »

[quote by=Fab4 link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1083532749,s=11 date=1091414150]Anything to rag on Paul. That's his point. Using John's words no less. It just proves to point of the article doesn't it!?[/quote]

Well said!

Fab4

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2004, 02:48:50 AM »

Thanks!

I hope not to start an argument tho. It's nothing personal. Just an observation. I'm just trying to be honest! ;)

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
  • Shake your tired eyes the world is waiting for you
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2004, 06:54:42 AM »

honesty needs no apology :)

[face=Arial]            Give me love, give me peace on Earth...[/face]

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2004, 06:58:45 AM »

Wow, cool article. Poor, poor Paul! So misunderstood.  ;)

SieLiebtDich

• A Thousand Pages
  • ("\(#^_^)/")
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2004, 12:36:26 AM »

hum poor guy....his been through alot after Johns death....:-/

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 73 queries.