Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 42

Author Topic: The Beach Boys  (Read 151984 times)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
Re: The Beach Boys
« Reply #660 on: February 21, 2012, 09:53:54 PM »

That's an interesting top dcowboys107. I think it's cool that you like their surf stuff more than their Pet Sounds/SMiLE years. I personally had a harder time getting into the surf songs. I usually search for those obligatory Brian ballads on each of their earlier albums (Lonely Sea, In My Room, Surfer Girl, Surfer Moon, Don't Worry Baby, The Warmth Of The Sun etc.). I could made an album only with those and I think it would be better than anything pre 'Today!'. I'd take anyday an album like 'M.I.U Album' or 'L.A' over their debut, only because of the element of surprise (which can be both dissapointing and satisfactory). When thinking about 'Surfin' Safari', I already know what to expect : songs about surfing with Mike on lead. Anyway, that's just my opinion. I'd love to hear the reason why you like their earlier stuff (if there is one).
I agree with everything you wrote here.

A quick question : You said you liked Brian's falsetto on 'Forever'. Where is it? I've always thought Carl was doing the backing vocals throughout the whole song. The 'ma ma ma ma'-s sound very Carl-ish to me. And 'together my love' is Mike, isn't it? Is Brian doing the 'Just let me sing, my baby/I want to sing my baby/Baby, baby...' part at about 1:30?
The my my my my my's and all the high vocals from 2:05 on are definately Brian and not Carl. I've been told that all the vocals here were done by the three Wilsons and I tend to believe that's true. The bass vocal does sound like Mike, but Dennis's bass vocals could sound a lot like Mike's, and Brian could sing surprisingly good "deep" vocals too.

Here's a 'Forever' A Capella video
I love this version. I think I even prefer it over the regular version.

And here's my Beach Boys song of the moment. Absolutely beautiful :
And about this song I've been told that all the vocals are Carl. I think that might be true as well, it sure sounds to me like at least 90% of those voices are his.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #661 on: February 27, 2012, 02:34:31 PM »

The my my my my my's and all the high vocals from 2:05 on are definately Brian and not Carl. I've been told that all the vocals here were done by the three Wilsons and I tend to believe that's true. The bass vocal does sound like Mike, but Dennis's bass vocals could sound a lot like Mike's, and Brian could sing surprisingly good "deep" vocals too.

Good, I heard the cappella version again and I can definitely hear Brian now.

I love this version. I think I even prefer it over the regular version.

I love it, too. My favourite part of the song is from 1:06 to 1:15 - the mystic humming part followed by the lyric "together my love...", it's just brilliant. By the way, where do these 'a capella' versions come from? Are they just made by fans or are they something official, made by the band itslef?

And about this song I've been told that all the vocals are Carl. I think that might be true as well, it sure sounds to me like at least 90% of those voices are his.

That really is something. I really like 'Good Timin' a lot.

Also, I've listened to 'L.A (Light Album)' a few times recently and I was pleasantly surprised. I really enjoy the aforementioned, Dennis' 'Baby Blue', 'Love Surrounds Me' and Carl's 'Goin' South'.

'Lady Lynda', 'Full Sail', 'Angel Come Home' and 'Shortenin' Bread' are pretty good, too.

To be quite honest, 'Sumahama' isn't really bad, if it wouldn't have been for the Japanese singing, which is cringeworthy, I would say it's a good song.

I've always skipped 'Here Comes The Night', disco is really not my thing.

All in all, we've got very little Brian involvement, but both Carl and Dennis in top form, cotribuing with some of the best efforts they came up with since the mid 70's. As I said before, I was pleasantly surprised with the band considering the band's status at the time.
I'd rank it somewhere between a 3.5 and a 4 out of 5 (or 7.5 out of 10). The art covers are pretty interesting, too.

http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #662 on: February 27, 2012, 03:26:17 PM »

. By the way, where do these 'a capella' versions come from? Are they just made by fans or are they something official, made by the band itslef?

The a capella mix of 'Forever' was released on an official compilation called 'Hawthorne, CA'. It's a pretty cool double CD with alternate versions, demos, outtakes and other rarities.

dcowboys107

• A Beginning
  • Surf's Up
« Reply #663 on: March 02, 2012, 05:53:48 PM »

"Forever" has two falsetto parts. But Brian's part is the most noticeable and occurs most often. The my my my part has Brian at one point and Carl briefly. For the majority of the song, it's Brian.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #664 on: March 02, 2012, 09:10:24 PM »

"Forever" has two falsetto parts. But Brian's part is the most noticeable and occurs most often. The my my my part has Brian at one point and Carl briefly. For the majority of the song, it's Brian.

You're right, Brian does the most prominent "my my mys", but Carl indeed takes a few as well.

dcowboys107

• A Beginning
  • Surf's Up
« Reply #665 on: March 03, 2012, 04:24:24 AM »

@Joost, listening to Sunflower right now. This week it seems to have turned to spring. Perfect "winter changes into spring" album. 

Surf's up.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #666 on: March 04, 2012, 01:47:29 AM »

Saw some Beach Boys things at the Hard Rock Cafe: London. A letter to Brian Wilson from their secretary and an autographed Dennis Wilson drum symbol.

dcowboys107

• A Beginning
  • Surf's Up
« Reply #667 on: March 20, 2012, 06:49:10 PM »

Meet and Greet "VIP" packages go on sale for my hometown tomorrow.  Do you think a "Meet and Greet" would be worth it? I really wanna go to the show and meet them but I'm afraid it'll just be a pass through type deal like "hey" and leave and take a quick picture.  Any ideas?? The package costs $375. . .

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #668 on: March 20, 2012, 08:31:56 PM »

I think it's stupid and insulting that they even dare to offer such packages. It's kind of like platonic prostitution, isn't it? I would obviously love to meet The Beach Boys, but I would never in a million years pay money to shake someone's hand.

dcowboys107

• A Beginning
  • Surf's Up
« Reply #669 on: March 20, 2012, 08:46:22 PM »

yeah I guess that you put it that way it does seem odd. I think it's the promoters who put things like that together but it feels almost embarrassing to know someone paid that much money just to visit you for a few minutes.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #670 on: March 24, 2012, 01:31:52 AM »

Seems a bit weird to me
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

dcowboys107

• A Beginning
  • Surf's Up
« Reply #671 on: March 25, 2012, 01:58:18 AM »

Finally got my tickets for ATL!!!!!! I'm bringing my mom and dad along. My mom likes them and my dad I think is indifferent so it'll be interesting to see if his opinion changes. He was born in the sixties in south america so the surf sound never grew in south america (anyone know why?).

But hopefully this concert will have its schmaltzy side with tributes to Carl and Dennis and PLEASE let them play some hidden gems. It'll be fun either way but I wanna hear some stuff from Holland or Mt Vernon and Fairway or Love you. Wouldn't "Airplane" or "Let's Go on This Way"

I wish they'd do "Steamboat" for Carl. His vocals are awesome in that one.

Anything I should look out for or expect?  I will report back with notes and stuff for all those interested!

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #672 on: April 03, 2012, 07:40:29 PM »

Some Beach Boys news:

The reunion tour will start on April 24 in Tucson, Arizona. 56 Dates in the US, Europa, Canada and Japan have been announced so far.

On April 10, The Beach Boys and the Dodger Stadium will both celebrate their 50th anniversaries together with a live performance and co-branded merchandise.

Al Jardine's often delayed first solo album 'A Postcard from California', which was a download only release two years ago, is now finally available on CD. It comes with three bonus tracks.

The new Beach Boys album will be released sometime in mid 2012 (June 5 has been mentioned as a release date). The first single from the album is called 'That's Why God Made the Radio'. Other song titles that have been mentioned are 'Beaches in Mind' and 'Waves of Love'.

A 90 minute Beach Boys PBS TV special will be aired on June 7.

Besides the new album, a "career-spanning box set", yet another greatest hits compilation (indeed, we didn't have enough of those yet...) and "other archival releases" are in the works.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #673 on: April 04, 2012, 03:29:12 PM »

Some Beach Boys news:

The reunion tour will start on April 24 in Tucson, Arizona. 56 Dates in the US, Europa, Canada and Japan have been announced so far.

On April 10, The Beach Boys and the Dodger Stadium will both celebrate their 50th anniversaries together with a live performance and co-branded merchandise.

Al Jardine's often delayed first solo album 'A Postcard from California', which was a download only release two years ago, is now finally available on CD. It comes with three bonus tracks.

The new Beach Boys album will be released sometime in mid 2012 (June 5 has been mentioned as a release date). The first single from the album is called 'That's Why God Made the Radio'. Other song titles that have been mentioned are 'Beaches in Mind' and 'Waves of Love'.

A 90 minute Beach Boys PBS TV special will be aired on June 7.

Besides the new album, a "career-spanning box set", yet another greatest hits compilation (indeed, we didn't have enough of those yet...) and "other archival releases" are in the works.

How are you doing, Joost? Thanks for sharing, it looks like it's gonna be a pretty full year for Beach Boys fans.

'Beaches in Mind' and 'Waves of Love' ? Hope they are not trying to re-create those surfing things again like they did with 'Kona Coast' or 'California Calling'.

Also, I wanted to ask if you've heard all of their solo discography. I've read some reviews but I'm still undecided : I've heard Dennis' 'Pacific Ocean Blue', Brian's 'SMiLE', 'Midnight's Another Day', self-titled album and 'Imagination'. Is there anything more worth checking?

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #674 on: April 05, 2012, 01:48:40 PM »

How are you doing, Joost? Thanks for sharing, it looks like it's gonna be a pretty full year for Beach Boys fans.
I'm doing great, how are you? Yeah, I just hope I won't be completely broke by the end of the year. ;)

'Beaches in Mind' and 'Waves of Love' ? Hope they are not trying to re-create those surfing things again like they did with 'Kona Coast' or 'California Calling'.
Indeed, let's hope they're not trying to do that again... But I'm confident that it will at least be a decent album, for two reasons: Brian's recent compositions have been much better than what he wrote in the late 70s and the 80s, and while in the late 70s/80s The Beach Boys were an oldies act desperately trying to recapture their old glory, nowadays they're also cult icons with a large, more alternative following. Let's hope that inspires them to make this an album with some good taste.

Also, I wanted to ask if you've heard all of their solo discography. I've read some reviews but I'm still undecided : I've heard Dennis' 'Pacific Ocean Blue', Brian's 'SMiLE', 'Midnight's Another Day', self-titled album and 'Imagination'. Is there anything more worth checking?
The albums you mentioned are all the solo albums that I would call essential. Mike's album, Carl's two albums and Brian's 'Gettin' In Over My Head' are all pretty bad. All of Brian's other albums are fine and enjoyable, but filled with either covers or re-recordings, so none of those are real must-haves. 'Orange Crate Art' by Brian Wilson & Van Dyke Parks is OK, nice old-fashioned nostalgic (pre-pop) music, but that's really a Van Dyke Parks album with Brian only singing.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #675 on: April 05, 2012, 02:03:09 PM »

Promo video for Al's new solo album:
Al Jardine - A Postcard from California - official EPK - HD

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #676 on: April 05, 2012, 02:28:08 PM »

I'm doing great, how are you?

Great as well, I'm getting ready for another ski trip (the 2nd this year) on which I will be going tomorrow.

Yeah, I just hope I won't be completely broke by the end of the year. ;)

ha2ha

Indeed, let's hope they're not trying to do that again... But I'm confident that it will at least be a decent album, for two reasons: Brian's recent compositions have been much better than what he wrote in the late 70s and the 80s, and while in the late 70s/80s The Beach Boys were an oldies act desperately trying to recapture their old glory, nowadays they're also cult icons with a large, more alternative following. Let's hope that inspires them to make this an album with some good taste.

That's true. As long as it's going to be as good as 'That Lucky Old Sun', that will be enough for me.

The albums you mentioned are all the solo albums that I would call essential. Mike's album, Carl's two albums and Brian's 'Gettin' In Over My Head' are all pretty bad. All of Brian's other albums are fine and enjoyable, but filled with either covers or re-recordings, so none of those are real must-haves. 'Orange Crate Art' by Brian Wilson & Van Dyke Parks is OK, nice old-fashioned nostalgic (pre-pop) music, but that's really a Van Dyke Parks album with Brian only singing.

I forgot about that one. I'll be checking it as soon as I can.

I've heard that Carl's albums are bad, however I like this song very much :

Carl Wilson - Heaven (studio)

I've also heard that Brian covered it once as a tribute.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #677 on: April 05, 2012, 02:34:41 PM »

'Heaven' is the only decent song on Carl's solo albums, the rest is just very bland. BTW, Brian recorded a cover of 'Heaven' a few years ago, it was never released on CD or vinyl, but it should be online somewhere.

dcowboys107

• A Beginning
  • Surf's Up
« Reply #678 on: April 23, 2012, 03:01:24 PM »

Just five more days until the Beach Boys are in Atlanta!!! I've been looking for set lists online but I just realized that tomorrow is the first stop in the tour so I will be one of the earlier cities in the tour. Hopefully that's a good thing haha. Will it be a meat and potatoes type show? I don't mind but I'd also like to hear some of the lesser known songs but I think they'll play their show accordingly. The other show I saw two years ago was strictly hits but that was a post baseball game show on Memorial Day but hopefully it'll be a good show.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #679 on: April 25, 2012, 05:47:37 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 42

Page created in 0.651 seconds with 82 queries.