Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 33

Author Topic: Books  (Read 87592 times)

KelMar

Re: Books
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2011, 04:32:42 AM »

LOL -- I remember Love's Baby Soft and Watermelon Lip Smackers very well, too! Looking back, I'm not sure why on earth I ever wore Love's Baby Soft: If I recall correctly, it had a sickly-sweet scent.  :P

Yeah, it does. I think they still sell it. But not to me. LOL I just finished Hope in a Jar. I enjoyed it and liked the Beatles references. It was easy to see who Allie belonged with; he wore a Beatles t-shirt and the other guy didn't like "I Feel Fine".  ;D

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2012, 08:53:42 PM »

Any Ben Elton fans?

Been reading a few Ben Elton's lately (Meltdown, Blind Faith, Popcorn) and currently waiting to receive a copy of High Society.

I find that while you read his books you think to yourself "why on earth am I reading this stuff?" but at the same time its unputdownable and when you finish the book you are like "hey, that was a good book"!  ;D

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2012, 11:25:18 PM »

Any Ben Elton fans?

Been reading a few Ben Elton's lately (Meltdown, Blind Faith, Popcorn) and currently waiting to receive a copy of High Society.

I find that while you read his books you think to yourself "why on earth am I reading this stuff?" but at the same time its unputdownable and when you finish the book you are like "hey, that was a good book"!  ;D

Parading's better!
I can stay till it's time to go

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2012, 11:50:36 PM »

Hm, never heard of Ben Elton, either. I need to copy some of these names down and stuff the paper in my wallet for the next time I'm at Barnes & Noble.

Right now I am re-reading IT by Stephen King. A good read, but not exactly a pick-me-up kind of tale. I need to find something fluffier to alternate.

KelMar

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2012, 06:04:41 AM »

Hm, never heard of Ben Elton, either. I need to copy some of these names down and stuff the paper in my wallet for the next time I'm at Barnes & Noble.

Right now I am re-reading IT by Stephen King. A good read, but not exactly a pick-me-up kind of tale. I need to find something fluffier to alternate.

I've never heard of him either Kathy which is pretty bad considering the number of books that have passed through my hands in the last 7 years. Have you seen King's newest release, 11/22/63? It looks really good but seeing as I am #16 in the holds queue it's going to be a while before I find out!

AppleScruffy96

• Getting Better
  • Love is old Love is new Love is all Love is you <3
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2012, 08:05:56 PM »

Any Ben Elton fans?

I LOVE Popcorn! I finished it in a day, I just couldn't put it down  ha2ha Sadly, I haven't read anything else from him, though I'm planning on getting Blind Faith soon. I must say, Popcorn was really strange, I couldn't believe what was happening towards the end! It was very entertaining and certainly a good read, though.
Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky.

KelMar

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2012, 08:22:41 PM »

I LOVE Popcorn! I finished it in a day, I just couldn't put it down  ha2ha Sadly, I haven't read anything else from him, though I'm planning on getting Blind Faith soon. I must say, Popcorn was really strange, I couldn't believe what was happening towards the end! It was very entertaining and certainly a good read, though.

Hmmm...these sound good but we don't have this British author in any of the libraries in our system. I'll have to talk to one of librarians. They are good about ordering things if I ask. That's why we're getting "Living in the Material World". Hopefully no one will steal it. I'll be watching the whereabouts of that one personally.  ;)

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2012, 02:04:52 AM »

Parading's better!
Indeed! Been doing that for the past week! ;)

Funny! I did not like Popcorn.... it was very.... extremely bizzare! Try reading Blind Faith. I thik you will like it if you liked Popcorn

I've never heard of him either Kathy which is pretty bad considering the number of books that have passed through my hands in the last 7 years. Have you seen King's newest release, 11/22/63? It looks really good but seeing as I am #16 in the holds queue it's going to be a while before I find out!
Have you read his other recent work, Full Dark No Stars? Some very good stories there!
For myself, I cant have a lot of him. I can do one book, and then take a biiiiig break before I can read another Stephen King. His stories really do scare me!

KelMar

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2012, 05:18:07 AM »

Have you read his other recent work, Full Dark No Stars? Some very good stories there!
For myself, I cant have a lot of him. I can do one book, and then take a biiiiig break before I can read another Stephen King. His stories really do scare me!

I know "Salem's Lot" scared me so bad that I haven't read another one since. That was about 1977 when I read that.  ha2ha I read "Carrie" around the same time, when the movie came out. That wasn't quite as bad as those vampires. They were scarier than these pretty boy vampires in the books today!

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2012, 11:18:53 PM »

Hi Kelley! I've heard of 11/22/63 but haven't seen it on the shelves yet. I might give it a try. I haven't really liked a Stephen King book since Misery, I think, which is disappointing, because I LOVE his earlier stuff (e.g., The Shining, Carrie, etc.). I tried Gerald's Game and couldn't finish it (too boring, IMO) -- same thing with From a Buick 8 and Bag of Bones, so I kind of gave up. But this new one from him has piqued my interest, so maybe I'd better hustle down to my library get my name on the waiting list!  ;)

« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 11:21:56 PM by Normandie »

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2012, 11:56:26 PM »

I know "Salem's Lot" scared me so bad that I haven't read another one since. That was about 1977 when I read that.  ha2ha I read "Carrie" around the same time, when the movie came out. That wasn't quite as bad as those vampires. They were scarier than these pretty boy vampires in the books today!
I have seen Carrie, and despite the crappy effects it really did scare me (especially at the end)

I haven't really liked a Stephen King book since Misery
Dont get me started on Misery.  ooooooooohhhhh *shivers*

I started reading Cujo a while back but it was too gory and scary that I had to stop reading.

A thought... We should start a Stephen King thread...!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2012, 12:49:27 AM »

Start one, KE.  If you got the courage.    ;D

KelMar

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2012, 04:45:04 AM »

But this new one from him has piqued my interest, so maybe I'd better hustle down to my library get my name on the waiting list!  ;)

Really, Kathy, if the list is anything like the one I'm on! I am tempted to tell people who come in to pick it up to hurry up and read fast. Of course I could always bump myself to the top but that would be wrong and an abuse of my powers, such as they are.  ;)

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2012, 06:29:42 PM »

I have seen Carrie, and despite the crappy effects it really did scare me (especially at the end)
Dont get me started on Misery.  ooooooooohhhhh *shivers*

Yeah, the end of the movie Carrie scared the heck out of me, too; I genuinely didn't see that coming!

I started reading Cujo a while back but it was too gory and scary that I had to stop reading.

I loved Cujo, and that was one of the very few books of King's that translated well to the screen, IMO. The Stand also scared me silly. I remember being paranoid for a year after every time I sneezed!  :)

Good idea!

nimrod

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2012, 11:45:38 PM »

Ive read and enjoyed all of Dean Koontz'z books

but my favourite author is John Le Carre (this week)  ha2ha Im a big fan of George Orwell too (Animal farm, 1984)

someone mentioned Ben Elton, he's actually and English comedian and writer, his books are ok but a bit disposable

KelMar

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2012, 03:38:23 AM »

Ive read and enjoyed all of Dean Koontz'z books

He's very popular here too, at least at the library where I work.

nimrod

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2012, 04:17:38 AM »

He's very popular here too, at least at the library where I work.

Im about halfway through James Patterson's novels ATM

I like the Alex Cross ones's

Robert Goddard is a very good writer too

KelMar

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2012, 04:42:34 AM »

Im about halfway through James Patterson's novels ATM

I like the Alex Cross ones's

Patterson is quite the prolific writer having produced books in a variety of genres. I have read a couple of the books that seem more targeted to women. I liked the first two but I really didn't care for the most recent one. The main character was just plain annoying and I ended up not really caring what happened to her.  ha2ha

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2012, 01:55:22 AM »

Decided to re-read Topaz by Leon Uris. It's a nice spy story

I'll start an SK thread soon, then :)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2012, 02:23:44 AM »

I'll start an SK thread soon, then :)

Hey, KE!!

ha2ha

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 33

Page created in 1.208 seconds with 75 queries.