Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Long and Winding Road (on Let It Be... Naked)  (Read 12319 times)

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
Re: Long and Winding Road (on Let It Be... Naked)
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2015, 09:21:51 PM »

I quite enjoyed Love. Appreciating it was done for a specific purpose. They couldn't just toss on the Red and Blue albums and tell Cirque to perform. Some of the mash ups work well. The way they put together the different takes of Strawberry Fields created a legitimate new version to me. And While my Guitar Gently Weeps with the strings is gorgeous.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2015, 11:59:45 PM »

I think that Love and its follower Da Capo are good albums, but Forever Changes is way better... ;D

KelMar

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2015, 02:18:30 AM »

As a matter of fact I played Love in the car yesterday. And loved it.

I enjoy parts of it quite a bit. I always have this feeling though that I'll never truly appreciate it until I make it to Vegas and see the show. I may never really get it!

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2015, 08:20:16 AM »

Re: 'Love'.....If I wanted to listen to c*** from the 21st Century I'd buy a Madonna record, always leave pop music to those who knew how to do it!

Of far more interest is Love, the group, and I have to say that 'Da Capo' is narrowly my fave. Narrowly, mind.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2015, 11:12:39 PM »

Of far more interest is Love, the group, and I have to say that 'Da Capo' is narrowly my fave. Narrowly, mind.

Your the only person that I've ever heard that prefers 'De Capo' over 'Forever Changes'.  Odd since 'De Capo' is basically a pop album (except for Revelation, but that song kills the entire album with its 19 minute running time) and that's exactly what you were criticizing 'Love' for.  Odd

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2015, 12:51:10 AM »

'The Long And Winding Road' is horrible no matter what version is played.

'Let It Be Naked' is awful and I doubt I will ever play it again.

'Let It Be' the album is their worst effort and kind of sucks if you think about it.

'Love' is better then any version of the album whether its the original or Naked.

There,,,have a great day.

Broadly in agreement with you Todd, although "horrible" (TLAWR) and "awful" (LIBN) are a little harsh in my opinion.

One overrated "standard" on a Beatles album is tolerable (e.g. "Yesterday" on "Help!") but there are two on "Let It Be" ("The Long And Winding Road" and "Across The Universe") and their twin shadows do the album no favours in my view. That said, "Yellow Submarine" just pips "Let It Be" as their worst original album for me... mainly because YS (which should have been an EP) was only half an album, and lazily padded out at that.

The largely pointless release of LIBN showed Paul in a peevish light. I for one don't mind the original Spector productions and don't find them intrusive, but then again I never wrote the songs! The one thing I will give "Naked" over the original is its inclusion of "Don't Let Me Down" - scandalously absent from the 1970 release.

As for "Love", it is easily my most played Beatles album of recent years. That's partly because I have more than one copy of it, so one version seems to permanently reside in my car and therefore is often played. It's also a cleverly and caringly tailored blend of "all eras" Beatles, so the lazy listener can indulge in stuff from 1963 and 1969 almost simultaneously, and continuously, which I think is great. Purists no doubt abhor the sacrilege, but I adore Beatles mash-ups and McCartney's own favourite bit (the "Drive My Car/The Word/What You're Doing" sequence) is also my highlight, along with the "Strawberry Fields" amalgam and that sublime "Tomorrow Never Knows/Within You Without You" hybrid. The whole thing is just so damn listenable with each great bit rolling on into the next. What's not to enjoy?

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2015, 01:06:32 AM »

Broadly in agreement with you Todd, although "horrible" (TLAWR) and "awful" (LIBN) are a little harsh in my opinion.

The one thing I will give "Naked" over the original is its inclusion of "Don't Let Me Down" - scandalously absent from the 1970 release.

I never understood that either. Easily the best John song to my mind coming from the sessions. And as it was done on the rooftop concert was part of the whole reason they did the album. To do live material.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2015, 01:11:10 AM »

One overrated "standard" on a Beatles album is tolerable (e.g. "Yesterday" on "Help!") but there are two on "Let It Be" ("The Long And Winding Road" and "Across The Universe") and their twin shadows do the album no favours in my view. That said, "Yellow Submarine" just pips "Let It Be" as their worst original album for me... mainly because YS (which should have been an EP) was only half an album, and lazily padded out at that.

It's interesting in considering the Beatle dynamics that a George ballad like All Things Must Pass was passed over in the sessions while TLAWR made it on. Doesn't seem like Paul was going to relinquish the ballad reins.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2015, 03:45:42 AM »

The one thing I will give "Naked" over the original is its inclusion of "Don't Let Me Down" - scandalously absent from the 1970 release.

Probably the fact that "Don't Let Me Down" had recently been included in the American Hey Jude album prevented its inclusion in Let It Be. And British buyers were used to have singles sides outside the albums.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2015, 01:29:10 PM »

Yeah, I was a bit over the top on my description there.  I do abhor TAWR though.  One of my least favorite Beatle songs ever.  I also prefer the Spectorized LIB over 'Naked'.  Force of habit I suppose.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2015, 08:03:39 PM »

'Love' is the Beatles' equivalent of 20/20 cricket v. Test Cricket.

Moderately interesting if there really is no alternative (i.e. Michael Jackson v. Madonna v. hippity hop v. 'Love', and 'Love' wins) but when there's a proper LP/compilation as an option, I know where my preference lies.

In 20 years time, if not already, people new to the group will have to have the concept of 'Love' explained to them in much the same way that the (awful) 'Movie Medley'/Stars on 45 thing would need an explanation now. 
I'm not sure they'll need 'A Hard Day's Night' or 'Abbey Road' explained.

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2015, 11:20:39 PM »

Probably the fact that "Don't Let Me Down" had recently been included in the American Hey Jude album prevented its inclusion in Let It Be. And British buyers were used to have singles sides outside the albums.

Yes, that's exactly the reason Don't Let Me Down wasn't on the original Let It Be. It was a casualty of the project being held up for a year, becoming a film etc.The original Get Back album would have had Don't Let Me Down as you can see from the sleeves prepared at the time.

But it was a daft decision. Let It Be could quite easily have included all the songs from the rooftop. It would have made perfect sense in the context of the film. And the version where Lennon flubs the lyrics is true to the original off-the-cuff idea. Let It Be Naked was just a huge opportunity to put this right but they completely messed up.

My favourite version of TLAWR by the way is the one on Anthology but I don't mind Spector's version. And in whatever version I think it's a magnificent song.

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2015, 11:25:34 PM »

'Love' is the Beatles' equivalent of 20/20 cricket v. Test Cricket.

Not really... although 20/20 cricket is much more fun and entertaining than boringly s-l-o-w test matches, "Love" has the snappy/lively appeal of 20/20 but the original Beatles albums are incomparably great - far better than test cricket.

'Movie Medley'/Stars on 45 thing

...were great!!!

But "Love" is an even better, album-length collage - overseen by George Martin & son! Fantastic IMO.

And no explanations of any of these recordings necessary, then, now or in the future... it's ALL "Beatle music" - it doesn't need explaining!

BeatleFan

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2016, 08:25:59 AM »

Let it Be is a good album with good songs. However, The Long and Winding Road not being Paul's true vision, the exclusion of the utterly fantastic Don't Let Me Down, and the chatter before songs go against it for me. Dig It could have been expanded as well. But apart from that, Let It Be has the groundwork to be a top tier Beatles album. Let It Be...Naked isn't *the* album, but that goes to show its true potential.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2016, 10:02:59 AM »

LIB was my fave for a number of years. Far above 'Abbey Road.' It still has a lot of sentimental value for me, and remains in my top 5 or so.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.873 seconds with 71 queries.