Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: "In My Life" by John Lennon  (Read 1855 times)

Buttmunker

• Getting Better
"In My Life" by John Lennon
« on: August 30, 2007, 08:51:24 PM »

A great song - who do you think Lennon had in mind when he wrote it?  Yoko Ono wasn't in the picture yet, so could he have been talking about Stuart Suttcliff when he sang: "in myyyy life, I love you more?"  Or maybe his mother?  If he was actually singing about the living, would it be Julian?

I don't think Lennon ever gave any insights into his song.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
Re: "In My Life" by John Lennon
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 08:38:44 AM »

You can read the original (clunky and awful) lyric at the British Library.
McCartney assisted with both the lyric rewrite and the melody, but to what extent is debated. (Paul claiming more than John credits).
Pete Shotton says John told him the line "some are dead and some are living" was a reference to Stu.
Quite a bit more on Wiki and others.
don't follow leaders

Re: "In My Life" by John Lennon
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 04:20:36 AM »

Ok, the song was on Rubber Soul ...1965 (a year before he met Yoko at the art gallery in '66, so yeah..you're right there) I think it was about all the ppl he loved in one way or another; Stu, Epstein, his Mum Julia, His Aunt Mimi..and let's not forget Cynthia (after all he was still married to her when this was recorded and he once did love her too...so it's hard to say.)  Maybe the answer is all the above ...or NONE of the above. Art doesnt have to be personally specific to be art

kjm

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 40 queries.