Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Beatles under a microscope - A Hard Day's Night  (Read 22669 times)

peterbell1

• Getting Better
Re: Beatles under a microscope - A Hard Day's Night
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 09:01:11 AM »

For years I did the G7sus4 one, after just stumbling upon it while messing on the guitar and I thought it sounded right.
But after reading about the "F with a G on top" I worked out the Fadd9 shape, and I now play it like that but with a G bass note, which I play with my thumb. So it goes something like this ....

EADGBE

I use the same shape for the outro as well (but there's no need for the thumb).
And you need a Rickenbacker 12-string to get the full effect!!  ;D
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2011, 01:57:01 PM »

i've always thought 'a hard days' night' was a good album,although i have never been a massive fan of it like a lot of beatleheads.it is just a personal thing,i like the band from the 'help!' l.p onwards (although a.h.d.n is a better album than help!,the beatles looked better in help.)although a special mention from the glass onion goes to 'if i fell',which is one of my favourite beatle tunes.ringo does an absolute corker of a fill in 'tell me why' after the "....i really can't help it i'm so in love with you" lyric in the middle section.impossible to replicate unless you are a very tasty player.obviously i can play this bit easily............( sleep well glass onion.............)
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2011, 06:15:51 PM »

For years I did the G7sus4 one, after just stumbling upon it while messing on the guitar and I thought it sounded right.
But after reading about the "F with a G on top" I worked out the Fadd9 shape, and I now play it like that but with a G bass note, which I play with my thumb. So it goes something like this ....

EADGBE

I use the same shape for the outro as well (but there's no need for the thumb).
And you need a Rickenbacker 12-string to get the full effect!!  ;D
yeah. i bet that's neat.
 ;yes
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 06:19:17 PM by 7 of 13 »
day tripper yeah

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2011, 07:45:56 PM »

obviously i can play this bit easily............( sleep well glass onion.............)

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2011, 12:53:41 PM »

other mentions from the album......'i'll cry instead' has always been a fave of mine (not sure why-i just like this song,i always feel it's like one of johns' personal ones)and also a big shout to 'i'll be back',which has been in my head for years and years.i remember this from being a young kid,it was on my dads' copy of 'love songs'.that used to get played on the old turntable when i was a young boy.so all in all,i think 'a.h.d.n' is a very good little album,and probably shows that the fab 4 were getting better at their jobs.they were now established,the sky was the limit i suppose.they seemed to reach it with ease.
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2011, 12:31:05 AM »

other mentions from the album......'i'll cry instead' has always been a fave of mine (not sure why-i just like this song,i always feel it's like one of johns' personal ones)and also a big shout to 'i'll be back',which has been in my head for years and years.
i think for me it's that fast, too fast for bubblegum stretchy country western guitar lick that makes it happen for me. the lyrics are pure lennon, quick and to the point. as for i'll get you, this again is lennon at his best, the lyrics could stand alone. but you can hear the emotion in the music. the iconoclastic touch here.
day tripper yeah

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2011, 05:27:09 PM »

I think this is easily the best album of the first four. I like it a lot, but I think that Help! is even better (the music, not the film).
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

nimrod

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2011, 11:00:31 PM »

I think this is easily the best album of the first four. I like it a lot, but I think that Help! is even better (the music, not the film).

Help is better, but I prefer Hard Days Night.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2011, 06:41:30 PM »

Help is better, but I prefer Hard Days Night.

I think the reverse way: A Hard Day's Night is a better record, but I prefer Help!. ;D
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Ollier

• A Beginning
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2011, 02:07:53 AM »

I am going to read this thread and this post shal be omended forth-wyth...

A Hard Days Night is one of the best songs The Beatles ever did. John had a penchant for paens to his other half whether real or fictionally enhanced, whether in this or numerous times again or before (I Feel Fine, Girl, She Said She Said). It's pop but it's the best driven beat pop songs you'll ever be likely to hear... It's so tight.

"But when I get home to you/I find the things that you do..."

It's the customary smut also of course...
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 02:23:39 AM by Ollier »
Keeping you on your toes...

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2011, 10:16:26 PM »

i have never heard the song or the entire album good and proper, so that about does it. like the lead track though.
i had the chopped american dexterized version, something new, on tape, that was my favorite album. played it all the time.
i can see just looking at the song titles, that the unbutchered original British release has tons more energy, in fact an supreme obvious precursor to the concept album sgt pepper thingie.

;yes
day tripper yeah

Ollier

• A Beginning
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2011, 10:23:27 PM »

I think I agree.
Keeping you on your toes...

Strawberry Field

• A Beginning
  • Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2011, 08:08:26 PM »

A Hard Day's Night is the only Beatles album that has all great songs, IMO. Most Beatles albums have mostly great songs with a few merely good ones and very rarely some bad ones. AHDN is great, begin to finish. I know John later called 'Tell Me Why' a throwaway but he was wrong - it's a wonderful song!
'If I fell' is probably my 2nd favorite Beatles song, too.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2011, 08:15:30 PM »

A Hard Day's Night is the only Beatles album that has all great songs, IMO. Most Beatles albums have mostly great songs with a few merely good ones and very rarely some bad ones. AHDN is great, begin to finish. I know John later called 'Tell Me Why' a throwaway but he was wrong - it's a wonderful song!
'If I fell' is probably my 2nd favorite Beatles song, too.

I agree, "A Hard Day's Night" is a wonderful album, the first REAL Bealtles album without any fillers or cover songs. Too bad it's overshadowed by what came after, the giants "Rubber Soul", "Revolver", "Pepper's", "White Album" and "Abbey Road".

And about the "Tell Me Why" thing, John said that about a dozen of his songs including "And Your Bird Can Sing", "It's Only Love", "Yes It Is", "Dig A Pony" etc. Pretty much typical John.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2011, 11:13:25 PM »

I think I agree.
side 1 of of something new has Things We Said Today, When I Get Home and the Matchbox ringo rocker on it. side 2 has I'm Happy Just to Dance With You and If I Fell. enough said.
 ;yes
day tripper yeah

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2011, 11:40:00 PM »

I'm Happy Just to Dance With You

I'm Happy Just To Dance With You (Rare BBC)
day tripper yeah

nimrod

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2011, 12:08:48 AM »

its obvious they were on fire when they made Hard Days Night, John most of all, a great time for him musically..

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2011, 04:46:39 AM »

its obvious they were on fire when they made Hard Days Night, John most of all, a great time for him musically..
such beauty and such poetry reveals itself in his music, and that of the beatles. all things being equal i bet they all had a real good time.
 ;yes
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 07:13:16 PM by 7 of 13 »
day tripper yeah
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.622 seconds with 85 queries.