Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Postcards from the Boys  (Read 7781 times)

Wordno

• Getting Better
  • Fortune favors the bold
Postcards from the Boys
« on: May 16, 2005, 03:57:28 AM »

This is a book that Ringo put out I think two or three years ago.  I was wondering if anyone read it.  I want to get, but I want someone's opinion about it.  Even if the opinions are bad I'll still get.  So what are your thoughts?

joan was quizzical

• Getting Better
Re: Postcards from the Boys
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 05:56:05 AM »

I sat in Chapters (Canadian bookstore) one day and read through it. It was pretty cool.... I wish that he wrote more about some of the postcards though. I didn't buy it only because I'm a poor student.

Paul's postcards are funny. :)

~ missy

lennonlemon

• A Thousand Pages
  • I Believe in Beatles
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 11:51:47 PM »

I like the postcards, but i too would have liked ringo to have included a little bit of his own commentary.
All You Need is Love  :K) :K) :K)

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 11:56:36 PM »

Quote from: joan_was_quizzical
I sat in Chapters (Canadian bookstore) one day and read through it. It was pretty cool.... I wish that he wrote more about some of the postcards though. I didn't buy it only because I'm a poor student.

Paul's postcards are funny. :)

~ missy

Yes indeed. Paul's postcards themselves are the highlight of the book.

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 03:06:18 AM »

This book just came out not too long ago. Within the past year I think.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 06:46:25 AM »

Ringo was hawking it on TV not long ago, so I think it is recent
don't follow leaders

Wayne L.

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2005, 01:08:16 PM »

I plan on looking at Ringo's Postcards From The Boys when I see it at the local library.  

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 11:21:25 AM »

Just wanted to bump up this very old post...  Does anyone else have a review of this book?

The hardcover copy is currently marked as "temporarily out of stock" on Amazon.com, so I'm wondering if I should pick it up when (or if) they get to restock.  It's listed at about $25 USD and I'm wondering if the book is worth the price.  Thanks!

BlueMeanie

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 11:36:08 AM »

It's an interesting book. Basically, it is what it says it is in the title. Postcards from John, Paul, and George - the front and back, with a comment from Ringo for each one. Hardcover would be a waste of money, as it's only a small book. I see you can get a new copy for $6.68 from Amazon Marketplace. Go for that.

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 09:31:46 PM »

^  Thanks, BM!  I am thinking of several Beatles books to buy and this is just one of my options.   :)

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 10:08:43 PM »

I love this book. Reading the postcards is fascinating. I love the little illustrations John and Paul include on their postcards. I don't know, but because the postcards are written to a friend, I feel like you get a little glimpse into their private world and personalities. John telling him to record something like Heart of Glass, Paul drawing a rebus puzzle instead of writing a note, and George sending him a postcard of some naked man! And there's commentary on every page as far as I remember. Don't know what else he could have written. The postcards speak for themselves. I mean, these are private items we're getting to see and read. Anyway, it's a nice change from all the Beatle bios and Beatles day by day and so on. I got it as a gift though, so I didn't think of price. Although, I probably would have bought it anyway.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 10:46:42 PM »

Quote from: 1620
Just wanted to bump up this very old post...  Does anyone else have a review of this book?

The hardcover copy is currently marked as "temporarily out of stock" on Amazon.com, so I'm wondering if I should pick it up when (or if) they get to restock.  It's listed at about $25 USD and I'm wondering if the book is worth the price.  Thanks!

You could always buy a used copy through amazon.com. It'll save you some money.

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 11:10:12 PM »

I got that book for Octie for her birthday last year. I think its a must for any Ringo fan. It's a nice book, and while the postcard stories arent pages and pages, they are stil nice to read. I love the story with John loosing his contact lense in the pool.

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Octie

• A Thousand Pages
  • It's sunshine life for me...
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 11:15:14 PM »

^ Oh yeah, it's there on my shelf :) I used to go to the book store and get "sneak peeks" into it, and then KE bought it for me. Thanks KE ;D
I'd ask my friends to come and see... an Octopus's Garden with me ^___^

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 03:05:33 AM »

Thanks for the reviews, guys!

LennonStarrFan

• A Beginning
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010, 11:44:07 PM »

I recently ordered this on Amazon a couple days ago. I also bought Angelina Jolie's  Notes From My Travels (She's my fav actress, and I find her humanitarian work inspiring). I'm fcking excited to get it, to say the least. Does any1 else have it?

"John was the best. I loved John. He was fine singer, a fine musician and he was a fine friend." -Ringo
β€œHe's (Ringo) every bloody bit as warm, unassuming, funny, and kind as he seems. He was quite simply the heart of the Beatles.” – John

Oomu

• Getting Better
  • It's always the quiet ones.
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 11:52:39 PM »

I ordered it about a month ago and thought it was absolutely wonderful. Ringo's notes about each postcard are funny and endearing (and he often just kinda makes it up as he goes along because he can't bloody remember what he was doing at the time - and at what point even writes, "Does anybody know what I was doing at this point?") and the postcards are just so very... Beatles. I think MOST of them are from John (which it seems you should enjoy?  :P) but there are some really, really great ones from George and some funny doodles from Paul as well.

All in all it was a short read, but one that you go back to multiple times because it's more of a picture book anyway. Very cute.

breedofrandy

• A Thousand Pages
  • Ringo Love <3
    • Me Tumblr Blog
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2010, 12:09:13 AM »

^ I thought it was hilarious on one of the post cards (or maybe two) Ringo says he still doesn't know how to spell my name right yet. I think it was Paul and John who both got his name spelled wrong on two different post cards! lol  They spelled his name Richard Starkies. Something like that which I thought was pretty sad.  :P

"Ringo will always be my friend"--George Harrison (Rolling Stone Magazine 1987)

Oomu

• Getting Better
  • It's always the quiet ones.
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2010, 12:15:14 AM »

^ I thought it was hilarious on one of the post cards (or maybe two) Ringo says he still doesn't know how to spell my name right yet. I think it was Paul and John who both got his name spelled wrong on two different post cards! lol  They spelled his name Richard Starkies. Something like that which I thought was pretty sad.  :P

Lol I remember that! But they did it continuously and in many different ways and that gave me the impression that they were very much doing it on purpose.

I think my favorite postcard in the entire book was the "turtle groupage" one. Something about it just made me fall over laughing. It's just so very George.

That and Paul's drawings.

breedofrandy

• A Thousand Pages
  • Ringo Love <3
    • Me Tumblr Blog
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2010, 12:21:28 AM »

^yeah the turtle one was really funny, I thought the same thing!  ;) I thought it was funny how he kept forgetting what he had done during that time period! lol I was like come on Ringo remember!  ha2ha I wish he would write a biography it would be so funny I'm sure. But he might leave out big gaps! LOL

The end of the book made me sad though because he talked about being drunk all the time and having to go to the hospital. Sadness towards the end.  :-[

"Ringo will always be my friend"--George Harrison (Rolling Stone Magazine 1987)
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 88 queries.