Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ringo's Songs  (Read 8218 times)

raxo

• Sun King
Re: Ringo's Songs
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2006, 03:52:40 PM »

I remembered later that What Goes On was tried to be recorded on March 5th, 1963 with Ringo on vocals, ... they tried it out at evening but they gave up on it for the time.

Another one that could have been on Guys For Sale ... it'd fit quite well too, acording to the arrangement and George guitar work-very similar to some tracks of the album. If you listen to it without thinking it's on Rubber Soul it seems that belongs to Guys For Sale era.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2006, 03:57:24 PM »

Quote from: raxo
I remembered later that What Goes On was tried to be recorded on May 3rd, 1963 with Ringo on vocals, ... they tried it out at evening but they gave up on it for the time.

Another one that could have been on Guys For Sale ... it'd fit quite well too, acording to the arrangement and George guitar work-very similar to some tracks of the album. If you listen to it without thinking it's on Rubber Soul it seems that belongs to Guys For Sale era.

So, there's a demo of it? Which didn't make Anthology in that case.
All You Need Is LOVE!

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2006, 04:04:44 PM »

Quote from: GreenApple

So, there's a demo of it? Which didn't make Anthology in that case.

"Tues. 3/5/63  RECORDING SESSION: EMI Studio #2  The engineer is Norman Smith.  
WHAT GOES ON  (Takes UNK)  S:  Ringo  W:  Lennon .6/McCartney .2/Starkey .2  One source claims Beatles tried this song out this evening, but gave up on it for the time.  It's not in studio logs.  Unreleased if recorded"

Acording to this site:
http://website.lineone.net/~johnpaulgeorgeringo/book1.htm

Tho it's not the first time I read something like that about this song ... it seems that it was composed by John and Ringo and Paul helped at the end with the lyrics. Maybe the lyrics were not finished by 1963 and they finished by 1965 for Rubber Soul.

One thing, too usual, about their first years of recording career it's that some takes of sessions (reels or anything) didn't survive ...  ::)

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2006, 01:41:04 PM »

Quote from: raxo

One thing, too usual, about their first years of recording career it's that some takes of sessions (reels or anything) didn't survive ...  ::)

Pity!

Anyway then, just on a small note about other vaguely related things; Wasn't Norman Smith the sound engineer for early Pink Floyd?
All You Need Is LOVE!

Bobber

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2006, 09:25:20 AM »

Here's an excerpt from Top Gear in early 1964, where the Beatles are talking about Don't Pass Me By. Paul is singing a line from the song. I found it in BBC Upgraded, that The End uploaded in our very own bootlegforums!

http://s55.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0RVLIGNZH7WT52V6PAK60K8CMT

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2006, 03:47:16 PM »

Awesome ... Opnieuw bedankt, Bobber!

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2006, 04:56:11 PM »

I get the impression that Ringo's voice is more suited to the earlier rock and roll numbers like Honey Don't, Matchbox and I Wanna Be Your Man. Does anyone else get that impression?
All You Need Is LOVE!

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2006, 06:49:54 PM »

Was Taking A Trip To Carolina ever finished? I really like that one.
All You Need Is LOVE!

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2011, 10:32:30 AM »

I was doing a search here for info about Don't Pass Me By and stumbled upon this old topic so thought I'd resurrect it rather than start a new one ....

I knew that The Beatles had discussed Don't Pass Me By on one of their BBC Radio programmes in 1964 and I was just wondering if Ringo had finished writing it then and it got "passed by" until 1968, or if it took him four years to finish writing it.
From the info in the thread above it seems like the song was indeed finished by mid-1964 but wasn't considered good enough for an album at the time. It was only when they were recording the White Album that they decided to give it a go.
They should have done DPMB instead of the abysmal Honey Don't - neither of them is a great song but at least DPMB is an original.

I was also surprised to read that What Goes On was around in 1963 - I never knew that!

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2011, 08:46:41 PM »

I knew that The Beatles had discussed Don't Pass Me By on one of their BBC Radio programmes in 1964 and I was just wondering if Ringo had finished writing it then and it got "passed by" until 1968, or if it took him four years to finish writing it.

I'd like to know this too.

I was also surprised to read that What Goes On was around in 1963 - I never knew that!

I was more surpised to find out that 'When I'm 64' was an old cavern tune. Who woulda thunk it.
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 58 queries.