Other forums > Current Affairs

Arnold sucks more than a $2 .....

(1/6) > >>

HeatherBoo:
Sorry, I have to vent some more about the Governator.  

He has now made it clear that California state worker's will be furloughed two days a month starting in February and will last for 18 months.  That means two days out of the month (the 1st and 3rd Friday), all state offices (except ones that must remain open 24 hours a day like prisons and hospitals) in California will be shut down.  No work, no pay.  That means a 10% paycut for us.  

They are also hinting at giving us IOU's instead of paychecks.  They have done this in the past and the banks do not like it.  What that means is that they give you a "check" that basically says the State will pay the bank back later.  So if the bank wants to honor it, they can.  If they don't want to, of course they don't have to.  

It really just kills me because the legislature just got a 5% raise...and it's their damn fault we are in this mess.  I feel so sorry right now for single parents out there who are barely making it.  I know a couple of people who will have to move because they will no longer be able to live in their current home with this paycut, especially people who both spouses work for the state.

Also, they said there will be layoffs, probably to come later but sometime soon.  Rumor is 20% of employees that were newly hired.  I have worked for the state for 4 years so I should be safe but I certainly hope so...

Sorry to ramble on, I just am very frustrated.

Thank you have a nice day.

Penny Lane:
^ :(

I also found out that my university (which is public) has been ordered to stop all state-bond funded construction projects by the state's Department of Finance.  This suspension is supposed to be temporary (it might last a couple of months, if not more) but it is very sad since we have some major projects going on, such as a new performing arts center and a science building.  Needless to say, the state of the economy has a lot of us quite worried.  :o :(

HeatherBoo:
^^ that is so lame.  Education is so important...We need to cut money from people who are disability becaue they are drug addicts.  SOrry you dont deserve, get off drugs and work like the rest of us.  I mean I do think there should be programs out there to help people who are on drugs but I dont think they should get disability because of it.  

So now instead of cutting funding from  things like that, they pick on schools.  

Penny Lane:

--- Quote from: 1204 ---So now instead of cutting funding from  things like that, they pick on schools.  
--- End quote ---

I've been going to public schools and universities my entire life, so the sad thing is, I'm used to hearing about my schools suffering from budget cuts.  (However, I've been told that things may be worse this time around. :( )  I can't imagine the luxury of going to a wealthy private school and not having to worry about repeated financial crises.  It's really crappy and hypocritical that Americans place such a high value on having children and yet drain precious money from their education.

I haven't been on this board for an especially long time, but if I may ask, what is your job?

HeatherBoo:
I work for the State of California, for the department that collects all taxes except for income taxes.  So like sales tax and environmental taxes, fuel taxes, etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version