Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Where Would The Beatles Be Without Ringo?  (Read 34238 times)

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
Re: Where Would The Beatles Be Without Ringo?
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2014, 11:13:00 PM »

- the perfect album imo. lyrically and musically :)

...but not vocally Kev, and therein (for me) lies the problem. Too introspective and pretentious for me I'm afraid.

I keep reminding everyone I'm not a musician - for me the instrumentation is the background which nicely "colours in" a song - which is centred around the lead vocal and the harmonies. The Beatles would have been fine a capella - Pink Floyd would have been dreadful.

It's why I've never rated musically gifted but vocally challenged groups like The Yardbirds.

Take themselves too seriously (Ringo never allowed The Beatles to do that. Which brings us back to the point of this thread).
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2014, 12:07:49 AM »

I take the opposite view, if a record is so successful/revered, indeed if anything is so successful/revered, it almost has to be NOT worth checking out. Exception which proves the rule.....The Beatles.

I don't understand your thinking here, but its already been touched upon by Mr.M.

'Thriller' sold truckloads and, because they were releasing 45s off that for years, I KNOW that it's garbage.
I heard the thing by default!

Hmm.  I'm not a fan of Michael Jackson or Pop music, but even I can see the brilliance in this album.  The production and song structures are pretty amazing and it pains me to say that.  I couldn't call this album garbage if I wanted to, because its just not true.  If you don't like it, fine, but there's a reason why this record reached the heights that it did.

In the case of 'Dark Side of the Moon' I just presume it is going to be rather dull and no explanation of it has ever piqued my interest. I prefer having an intimate knowledge of the stuff people ignore or don't know.....the 45s, 'A Saucerful of Secrets', 'More'.

So you pride yourself in the obscure.  That's fine, because I do it myself to some extent, but its also good to know the mainstream too.  Its cool to dazzle folks with your knowledge of albums and bands they have never heard of, but whats the point if they can just as easily bring up something like 'Dark Side Of The Moon' and you have no idea as to what they are talking about, which in most cases, is common knowledge?

That's too heavy.  I guess I'm just still baffled that you sometimes refuse to discover things based on the praise they receive.  Strange to me.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2014, 12:12:58 AM »

DSOTM overrated ?

Come on Mr M, get a grip

They were a cult band before this masterpiece

Yes its a concept album, but its not only packed with great songs like Breathe, Us & Them, Money etc but its a whole 'experience' a way of transcending yourself for 40 minutes - the perfect album imo. lyrically and musically :)

It was when the band worked together, Ricks keyboards/piano was just as important as Rogers lyrics and Daves guitar/singing

It is a great record and of course I have it, but,,,,,,,,,its been so overplayed that I find it to boring to deal with anymore.  I seriously doubt I will ever listen to that album ever again.  That's just me though and I'm pretty much like that with any Pink Floyd at this stage of my life.

nimrod

« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2014, 02:35:56 AM »

I don't understand your thinking here, but its already been touched upon by Mr.M.

Hmm.  I'm not a fan of Michael Jackson or Pop music, but even I can see the brilliance in this album.  The production and song structures are pretty amazing and it pains me to say that.  I couldn't call this album garbage if I wanted to, because its just not true.  If you don't like it, fine, but there's a reason why this record reached the heights that it did.

So you pride yourself in the obscure.  That's fine, because I do it myself to some extent, but its also good to know the mainstream too.  Its cool to dazzle folks with your knowledge of albums and bands they have never heard of, but whats the point if they can just as easily bring up something like 'Dark Side Of The Moon' and you have no idea as to what they are talking about, which in most cases, is common knowledge?

Hang on Todd
 early Floyd records are not obscure records, theyre mainstream prog LP's
Obscure 60/70's would be Sebastian Hardy, England, Spring, Eloy, Taurus, Pheonix, Sepsis, Space farm, Starcastle,PFM etc etc

I get the point you are making though

nimrod

« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2014, 03:00:57 AM »

...but not vocally Kev,

remained in the charts for 741 weeks from 1973 to 1988. With an estimated 50 million copies sold, it is Pink Floyd's most commercially successful album and the second best-selling album worldwide.

Vocals cant have been that bad   ha2ha

IT REMAINED IN CHARTS ALL THROUGH THE LOUSY PUNK/NEW WAVE ERA................ 10/10 FOR PINK FLOYD - GOD BLESS EM, SOME REAL MUSIC IN ALL THAT DROSS

« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 11:05:54 AM by Kangaroo Kev »

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2014, 10:18:46 AM »

The point I'm trying to make Kev is that most people who bought into Floyd weren't there for the vocals. I think it's the quality of musicianship/arrangements/production/concept/lyrical maturity etc which helped sell copies by the shedload. Millions of buyers can't be "wrong" of course, but all those things are of secondary importance to me personally. Plus I'm a sucker for melodies and I don't recall many from DSOTM.  I wasn't a fan of punk/new wave, so citing that as the then current "competition" earns them no points from me.

I'm not embarrassed to say I'd prefer to listen to Wings or Abba over Pink Floyd (melodies and vocals, remember) even if it's not "cool". There is a place for more proggy stuff on my sound system if I'm in the mood but that's when I'd turn to Jethro Tull. But most of that stuff (ELP, Yes, Caravan, Gentle Giant etc) is nowadays too much like hard work for me: have it but barely ever play it.

Maybe I'm just getting old.

nimrod

« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2014, 11:12:19 AM »

The point I'm trying to make Kev is that most people who bought into Floyd weren't there for the vocals. I think it's the quality of musicianship/arrangements/production/concept/lyrical maturity etc which helped sell copies by the shedload. Millions of buyers can't be "wrong" of course, but all those things are of secondary importance to me personally. Plus I'm a sucker for melodies and I don't recall many from DSOTM.  I wasn't a fan of punk/new wave, so citing that as the then current "competition" earns them no points from me.

I'm not embarrassed to say I'd prefer to listen to Wings or Abba over Pink Floyd (melodies and vocals, remember) even if it's not "cool". There is a place for more proggy stuff on my sound system if I'm in the mood but that's when I'd turn to Jethro Tull. But most of that stuff (ELP, Yes, Caravan, Gentle Giant etc) is nowadays too much like hard work for me: have it but barely ever play it.

Maybe I'm just getting old.

I really dont understand you here Mr M, imo DSPTM is full of great melodies (take Us & Them) and the singing is top notch

We'll just have to agree to disagree  ;)

Maggie0819

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2016, 11:47:36 PM »

I always thought Ringo added a sort of charm and softness to the group that I can't quite put a finger on. Obviously we all know that The Beatles wouldn't be The Beatles without each member of the group contributing what they did. Each member, meaning John, Paul, and George, all had their obvious talents and they were all brilliant, but then there's Ringo. I've never heard quite as much praise for his solo albums, but that doesn't make them any less enjoyable or "charming". For me, Ringo is and always will be the charm and heart of The Beatles, no matter how many drummers there were before him or how many drummers temporarily took his place. Of course, this is just my own personal opinion and I've never claimed to know much about The Beatles apart from their music and the information I've learned from the Anthology series, books and other little things. I just always thought that Ringo is what made The Beatles so likeable and, in a way, approachable. If Ringo ever reads this he'll probably think I'm being incredibly demeaning by calling him "charming" and "likeable", but I think, personally, that that's one of the things that you should strive for as a person. Again, I don't know as much as any of you, but it's fun to learn what other people have to say and what they think. And I've probably gone on too long about the emotional aspects of it all...oh, well, I'm learning.  icon_good

BeatleFan

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2016, 10:51:50 AM »

Ringo is a funny guy with buckets of charm. He literally put the beat into the Beatles with his drumming. Without Ringo the band wouldn't have been the complete package. Don't Pass Me By would probably be my favourite from him. Just sublime.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2016, 11:31:39 AM »

fun reading years of comments when someone resurrects a post from long ago.

One word: BALANCE

Without balance most endeavors in life become something less than they could have been.  Ringo was part of the balance that was the four of them.  Amazing ying and yangs within their internal and external relationships with the public.  I think -meant to be, when I think of Ringo with the Beatles.  Love his style and balance he helped create.

BTW - DSOTM - enjoyed this immensely at a point in life when mind altering substances were common, amazing to listen to and get lost for a while.  Still enjoy a track here and there but haven't listened to the album in close to 30 years.

KelMar

« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2016, 09:16:51 PM »

Ringo is a funny guy with buckets of charm.

Well put! That's exactly the feeling I went away with when I saw him in concert this past June. I didn't want to miss anything he said up there so I wasn't too pleased when the loud, inebriated first-generation fans across the aisle made me do just that. It stopped soon after so I think they were told to settle down. Good thing too because I was about ready to yell what John said during the Ed Sullivan rehearsal in Miami:

http://youtu.be/AGFDZg74DL8

;)

Don't Pass Me By would probably be my favourite from him. Just sublime.

That was in the show!

Kagome

• A Beginning
  • Recording Engineer Toshiba EMI & Capitol EMI
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2016, 02:40:16 AM »

I would think they would be at the same Place with Pete Best to bad they got rid of him He was a very popular with The Beatles fans They was upset they got rid of him 

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2016, 11:32:57 AM »

I would think they would be at the same Place with Pete Best to bad they got rid of him He was a very popular with The Beatles fans They was upset they got rid of him

OMG - what would the story line have been in Help had Pete Best been the drummer?   ;D

KelMar

« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2016, 05:19:20 PM »

OMG - what would the story line have been in Help had Pete Best been the drummer?   ;D

LOL Yeah, it just wouldn't have made sense!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2016, 06:04:05 PM »

Or A Hard Day's Night...

Or Magical Mystery Tour...

Or Yellow Submarine...

;)
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2017, 02:31:19 AM »

Ringo always thought progressively...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cz45bcPrSc" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cz45bcPrSc</a>

:)
I can stay till it's time to go
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Page created in 0.826 seconds with 72 queries.