Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What Album Means The Most To You?  (Read 12333 times)

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
What Album Means The Most To You?
« on: July 05, 2015, 11:26:50 AM »

Not what you think is best.

I think Revolver is their best album musically

But Beatles For Sale means the most to me, it was a Christmas present when it came out and I was 14, it was MY first ever album, I drooled over its gatefold cover, loved the pics and played it constantly, in many ways its a sad album with quite a few sad songs, John pointing the way forward with Im A Loser, 'beneath this mask I am wearing a frown' and Pauls 'What Your Doing' suddenly its not all 'I love her, she loves' me cutie songs.

The album still means most to me, the cover is still my favourite also

What about you?
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
Re: What Album Means The Most To You?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 11:53:51 AM »

In my case Revolver is both (probably) their best and means the most to me. I recall it clearly under the Xmas tree when my older brother got it. It was flipped over so the lads, smiling in their trendy sunglasses, was the first I saw of it. It was a few years after it came out. I was probably 6 or 7. Hard to recall. But it's one reason I associate the Beatles with Xmas. Can't beat two good things being so closely linked.

The cover that means the most to me though is, curiously, an album neither my older brothers nor I owned until I got it on CD. The shadow shot on With the Beatles is one of the earliest images I recall of the Beatles when I was very young. But it was on a single, I think All My Loving, that I first saw it. I think it had a pinkish trim. Regardless it was a haunting image for a lad who was still a toddler.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 01:47:17 PM »

'Sgt. Pepper...' for me. It connects me to a special time; and what it stood for musically - KABLAM! - it was like music reinvented. 'MMT' kind of goes with it for me, as an extension. I often thought of it as 'Pepper II'.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

KelMar

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 04:50:48 PM »

Interesting questions Kev. My favorite album is Rubber Soul but in some strange way that's not the one that means the most to me. That would be Meet the Beatles. My sister didn't take her Beatles albums with her when she got married in 1968 and that's the one I played the most when I discovered them as an 8 year old and until I was in college. I've owned the 8-track and cassette versions but I was quite ticked off when my brother decided to take all her albums home on one of his visits. This was before our sister died but he didn't feel the need to ask her permission, saying that he was just going to transfer them to tape.  I didn't figure I'd ever see them again and I haven't but there is a good side to this saga! He liked listening to them when he'd get home from working nights and my niece would listen too. Now that he is gone those records mean an awful lot to her, more than they would ever mean to my sister's kids and I would never dream of asking for them back. She listens to them at her mom's house and I have made it extremely clear to my sister-in-law that she must never, ever throw them out.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 05:00:35 PM by In My Life »

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 04:56:17 PM »

Beatles white LP means the most to me.  It's my go to CD in my car!  icon_king.  If I get sick of listening to it, I know there are another 200 Beatles songs I can listen too, but always revert back to that one.
Beatles music gives me Eargasms

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 11:18:30 PM »

In the mid Sixties, before we ever owned a record player, we had "A Hard Day's Night" (I still remember those little Beatle faces in their squares on the blue background of the box) and "Help!" on reel to reel tapes. Played them almost until they wore out and always had a soft spot for both those albums as a result. Getting the red and blue double LPs for Christmas '74 (we had a record player by then!) with their distinctive "new plastic" smell still brings back fond memories!

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 12:04:59 PM »

The double red album means the most to me.  I stole if from my sister when I was 7 years old and it got me into the Beatles.  Plus the James Bond intro to Help,,,,,,I mean come on.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 12:08:41 PM »

The double red album means the most to me.  I stole if from my sister when I was 7 years old and it got me into the Beatles.  Plus the James Bond intro to Help,,,,,,I mean come on.

Haven't heard the intro to Help in many many years.  What a flashback you provided by mentioning it.  Is it on the Red cd?  I remember it being on the vinyl, right?

KelMar

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 02:15:14 PM »

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 10:46:29 PM »

Funny hearing crackle & pop from the vinyl on YouTube!   ;D

It is Extremely cool  icon_good

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
I can stay till it's time to go

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 07:52:40 AM »

Is it on the Red cd?  I remember it being on the vinyl, right?

Its not on the Red CD or I would have bought it (sad I know).  Its just on the vinyl that I'm aware of.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 08:33:58 AM »

The Red album ran a close second in the meaning stakes for me as it was the first Beatle album I actually bought rather than bludging off my older brothers.  I'd just moved countries as a teenager too so it was pretty momentous as Beatle albums go

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2015, 12:18:29 PM »

Wow! I never realised you Americans had that little bit of the 007 style soundtrack music presaging "Help!" on your red album!

It was just the regular track here in the UK.

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2015, 12:43:05 PM »

Its not on the Red CD or I would have bought it (sad I know).  Its just on the vinyl that I'm aware of.

Our Red CD & LPs (in Canada) have it, as well as the Capitol Vol. 1 & 2 CD box sets from 2004-06  ;yes
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 12:45:30 PM by Bingo Bongo »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2015, 08:38:44 PM »

Wow! I never realised you Americans had that little bit of the 007 style soundtrack music presaging "Help!" on your red album!

It was just the regular track here in the UK.

We had the full recording of I'm Looking Through You too...

http://youtu.be/G5-eE-1v_NU

:)
I can stay till it's time to go

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2015, 12:43:17 AM »

Our Red CD & LPs (in Canada) have it, as well as the Capitol Vol. 1 & 2 CD box sets from 2004-06  ;yes

I was unaware of this.  Cool.  I remember when the Red album came out on CD here in the US, my cousin bought it.  When the Bond intro was absent, I told him the CD was worthless.  He looked at me and just said,,,'seriously dude?'.   ha2ha

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2015, 05:49:19 PM »

Mine'd be a tie between Sgt. Pepper and With the Beatles. I have such fond memories of listening to the former as I would drive from my college to my sister's house, about 45 minutes away, in Central New York. The music brings me right back to those winding rural roads. With the Beatles reminds me of driving back and forth between Missouri and New York, usually in the middle of the night as I would try to do as long a stretch of driving as I could. Again, good memories, just a little fuzzier.

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2015, 06:16:49 PM »

I remember when the Red album came out on CD here in the US, my cousin bought it.  When the Bond intro was absent, I told him the CD was worthless. 
I'm shocked that the U.S. Red CD set does not include the bond!!  :o  ???

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2015, 09:51:00 PM »

U.K. vs U.S. "A Hard Day's Night" Album

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn-eYd3AuIw" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn-eYd3AuIw</a>
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.756 seconds with 85 queries.