Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Liverpool's Reaction!  (Read 4983 times)

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
Liverpool's Reaction!
« on: January 20, 2008, 04:58:37 PM »

I have just come back from Liverpool and I was dismayed to hear that all the good work Ringo did at the opening ceremony and at the Echo Arena's inaugural concert has been undone by the very indifferent comments he made about Liverpool and its people on the Jonathon Ross show on Friday!

All the people I spoke to were VERY disappointed with his comments and there were quite a few jokes made at his expense by some performers at the "Number One Project" concert I attended in Liverpool Echo Arena last night (Sat 19 January).

I haven't watched Ringo on the Jonathon Ross show yet so I cannot comment but I can tell you Liverpool isn't happy!

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
Re: Liverpool's Reaction!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 10:27:28 PM »

I just watched the couple of clips on YouTube:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV1qc6RA2no" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV1qc6RA2no</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4AOuirCx8w" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4AOuirCx8w</a>

Ringo was making fun of the fact that he wasn't planning to move back to Liverpool, but I didn't see anything in his remarks that should get anyone riled. He's just joking; whether you think it's effective or not is a personal judgment. Still, this is just a clip; perhaps he got offensive later?  :-/

On an aside, RINGO IS TINY! He's, like, 1/3 the size of Jonathon Ross. Their embrace-- it's a Mini-Ringo!  :o  ;D
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 10:56:09 PM »

<a href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/page/item/b008pxk6.shtml?q=jonathan+ross&amp;version_pid=b008pxjb&amp;start=1&amp;scope=iplayersearch&amp;go=Find+Programmes&amp;version_pid=b008pxjb" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/page/item/b008pxk6.shtml?q=jonathan+ross&amp;version_pid=b008pxjb&amp;start=1&amp;scope=iplayersearch&amp;go=Find+Programmes&amp;version_pid=b008pxjb</a>

whole episode of jonathan ross ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 01:49:35 PM »

Quote from: 551
I just watched the couple of clips on YouTube:

1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV1qc6RA2no
2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4AOuirCx8w

Ringo was making fun of the fact that he wasn't planning to move back to Liverpool, but I didn't see anything in his remarks that should get anyone riled. He's just joking; whether you think it's effective or not is a personal judgment. Still, this is just a clip; perhaps he got offensive later?  :-/

On an aside, RINGO IS TINY! He's, like, 1/3 the size of Jonathon Ross. Their embrace-- it's a Mini-Ringo!  :o  ;D

To understand the offence, you really have to understand the people of Liverpool (and I don't mean that in a condescending way). They are incredibly proud to have received this award because they feel they are finally getting the recognition they deserve after decades of being thought of as a joke! So now imagine one of their greatest heroes attending the opening ceromony and saying how great Liverpool is and then going on TV and totally belittling the the award and the City of Liverpool.

Would it have been so hard for Ringo to say that he missed the City and its people - even if he actually didn't - afterall, he had just headlined the Capital of Culture opening event where he had told the twenty thousand people assembled outside St George's Hall that Liverpool was "in his soul"! l

Sadly, at best Ringo has come across as a hypocrite, only out cash in on the event to help promote his new album.

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 05:45:20 PM »

yeah after watching his Jonathan Ross interview Ringo seemed very off and not his usual self, he was almost very defensive about every Jonathan was asking him.

Apart from the whole attitude towards Liverpool the other thing that struck me was how he is all about filling his pockets, i cant remember the whole thing but it basically went

talking about the new usb album of liverpool 8

"ahh Ringo its not like the old days when we had to run home with a vinyl and make sure we didn't scratch it" - jonathan
"yeah" - ringo *laughing out loud*
" but then again it is much easier to lose" - jonathan *saying it as a joke*

then ringo just gives him a dirtyish glare

everything Jonathan said was in good humour and at times ringo seemed a little off

eppylover

• One And One Is Two
  • Induct Brian Epstein into the Rock Hall of Fame!
    • Christine's Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 09:01:20 PM »

It's too bad the public can't give celebs a break once in awhile for having a bad hair day ~ so to speak! I mean, Ringo is just as human as anyone, and is bound to go on the rag once in awhile.

Poor ole Richie. I wonder if he feels regretful now. He could apologize, but sometimes that just makes it worse.
Example: "bigger than Jesus" ring a bell?

Of course, I'm speaking as a damn Yankee here, too. Mayhaps the Liverpudlians are more forgiving?
HE WAS MUCH MORE THAN MERELY THEIR MANAGER.
HE WAS...
The Fifth Beatle!

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 10:04:40 PM »

Thanks for the info, guys. That helps.

Yeah, Ringo's humor is occasionally "off". I noticed he dropped some bombs in the Carl Perkins special also; it might be his manifestation of nerves, he tries for a joke and it doesn't quite come off. This is how his interview with Ross struck me. He was trying too hard and got on this track he didn't feel he could get off of.

Or maybe he really is an arrogant ungrateful git. I'll never know the truth!
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 11:51:15 PM »

Quote from: 551
Or maybe he really is an arrogant ungrateful git. I'll never know the truth!

Well Ringo has just joined MY forum so you will get the chance to ask him - HA, I wish! ;)

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 12:02:45 AM »

maybe we could convince  him into it...i think they got offended to easily...don't be such a bunch of stuffed shirts it's ringo not john for p*ss sakes....

eppylover

• One And One Is Two
  • Induct Brian Epstein into the Rock Hall of Fame!
    • Christine's Facebook
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 12:09:43 AM »

Quote from: 360

Well Ringo has just joined MY forum so you will get the chance to ask him - HA, I wish! ;)

Oh well, fat chance of that, according to this article ~
http://www.pr-inside.com/starr-hates-modern-technology-r396474.htm

Seems our little Starkey is a... *dun, dun, DUNNNN!* ...[size=14]technophobe!!!  [/size]:o
*cue shrieks of dismay*

Makes me wonder if Barbara does 'puters?
HE WAS MUCH MORE THAN MERELY THEIR MANAGER.
HE WAS...
The Fifth Beatle!

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 02:05:27 AM »

I think Ringo's getting bitter because he feels that nobody takes his music seriously. Take this forum for example. We're all supposedly large Beatle fans and yet Ringo's 'Liverpool 8' album thread has just 45 replies. Pauls 'Memory Almost Full' thread has over 500 replies. I wonder why that is? If it happens here, its got to be 90 times worse with the general public.

I agree with Ringo. He should be p*ssed off. Obviously the happy-go-lucky demeanor hasnet worked for him when it comes to selling albums, so maybe he should just become a big prick. That should at least spark some interest.

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 09:41:54 AM »

Quote from: 373
Obviously the happy-go-lucky demeanor hasnet worked for him when it comes to selling albums, so maybe he should just become a big prick. That should at least spark some interest.

You're right - sadly, his recent comments and actions are sparking more interest than the release of his album. I doubt it's a deliberate marketing strategy though! :)

Bobber

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 09:53:44 AM »

This might work:

BlueMeanie

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 10:03:12 AM »

Quote from: 373
I think Ringo's getting bitter because he feels that nobody takes his music seriously. Take this forum for example. We're all supposedly large Beatle fans and yet Ringo's 'Liverpool 8' album thread has just 45 replies. Pauls 'Memory Almost Full' thread has over 500 replies. I wonder why that is? If it happens here, its got to be 90 times worse with the general public.

Let's face it, Ringo doesn't make 'great' albums. Even his so called 'best' album - Ringo - is very good, but I wouldn't say great. Don't get me wrong, I like Ringo, he's a great drummer. But that's what he is - a great drummer, not a great songwriter. His albums - and I have quite a few - are largely mediocre affairs, average on production quality, but with a couple of 'corkers'. His new album doesn't seem to contain any high points, for me.

I haven't heard his comments on Johnathon Ross, so I can't comment about that. He may be bitter that he's not seen in the same light as McCartney, but then The Beatles was a long time ago, and McCartney's done so much more. If he doesn't care for Liverpool (as has been suggested), then he should not use the place to plug his album.

Anyway, MAF has been out for how long? 10 months? 45 posts for an album that's been out less than a week isn't bad, I think.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 11:13:12 AM »

Quote from: 483

Let's face it, Ringo doesn't make 'great' albums.

I disagree with you. I think people would realize how good they are if they would actually listen to them. 'Ringo Rama' is incredible in my opinion. So good, I place it in the top 5 slot of any of the fours solo efforts. Everybody i've ever played that album to couldnt believe it was Ringo, but since it is, it gets dismissed.

Even his so called 'best' album - Ringo - is very good, but I wouldn't say great.

'Time Takes Time', 'Vertical Man', 'Rama', 'Choose Love', and 'I Wanna Be Santa Claus' are all better than 'Ringo', but nobody will admit it because its the right thing to do to call 'Ringo' his greatest. I dare anybody to sit down with any of the albums I mentioned and listen to any one of them along with 'Ringo' and I bet you'd be surprised.

Don't get me wrong, I like Ringo, he's a great drummer. But that's what he is - a great drummer, not a great songwriter. His albums - and I have quite a few - are largely mediocre affairs, average on production quality, but with a couple of 'corkers'. His new album doesn't seem to contain any high points, for me.

I cant find faults with the production of his last 5 or so albums. Lets not judge based on 'Ringo the 4th', 'Rotogravure', or 'Stop and Smell the Roses'. This is when Ringo lost everybody.

I like the new album a lot, but I need a few more listens to failry judge it.

I haven't heard his comments on Johnathon Ross, so I can't comment about that. He may be bitter that he's not seen in the same light as McCartney, but then The Beatles was a long time ago, and McCartney's done so much more. If he doesn't care for Liverpool (as has been suggested), then he should not use the place to plug his album.

I have no idea what he said on Ross' show.

Anyway, MAF has been out for how long? 10 months? 45 posts for an album that's been out less than a week isn't bad, I think.

Come on BM. Pauls thread had 45 replies an hour after it was announced he was releasing an album. Its just the way things are. Nobody takes Ringo seriously and I think its a crime, but if nobody can be bothered to pick up one of his albums, thats the way its going to be.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 11:16:49 AM »

One other comment about the album 'Ringo'. At the time of its release, everybody was hungry for anything Beatles and guess what,,,,,,,,they all played on it. Its not hard to see why it was so appreciated. Its a good album with good songs and I like it, but theres more to listen to.

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 01:42:17 PM »

Quote from: 483

If he doesn't care for Liverpool (as has been suggested), then he should not use the place to plug his album.

That has hit the nail right on the head - this is exactly the reason why the people of Liverpool are up in arms.

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 06:57:13 PM »

I don't want to bash Ringo or for this to be my first post here...but I guess it will be anyways....

One thing I noticed in his early interviews about the title song was that he always credited it to Dave Stewart. Not just the writing but the very idea of doing a sentimental song about Liverpool. I did not think much about it at the time but now that really stands out. That it was marketing angle which he went along with.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008, 07:32:33 PM »

Quote from: 1078
I don't want to bash Ringo or for this to be my first post here...but I guess it will be anyways....

One thing I noticed in his early interviews about the title song was that he always credited it to Dave Stewart. Not just the writing but the very idea of doing a sentimental song about Liverpool. I did not think much about it at the time but now that really stands out. That it was marketing angle which he went along with.

So he's using a forgotten member of the Eurythmics to pimp his single? I doubt that. I would think that its probably more due to his bitterness (still) of Mark Hudson more than anything. While 'Liverpool 8' is a decent tune and makes the most sense as the single to do something, there's still better tunes on the album. From the sounds of everything, Ringo has f***ed himself, but sometimes bad publicity is good publicity if you know what I mean.

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2008, 07:59:49 PM »

tkitna did you not read my post at all???

You have missed my point completely!

My point is that normally if a person sings an "autobiographical" song - They would write it themselves. Or at least have the idea to make a song like that themselves. "Liverpool 8" is a sentimental song about Ringo's hometown. But clearly he does not have strong sentimental feelings about Liverpool himself.

"Liverpool 8" is the only song on the album about his days with the Beatles. Which is always going to be the marketing hook for Ringo's solo albums. Regardless of what you believe of the quality of the song in relation to the rest of the album. If you do not realize that you are very naive.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.721 seconds with 80 queries.