Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What's the point of "Sgt Pepper" (reprise)  (Read 5789 times)

Buttmunker

• Getting Better
What's the point of "Sgt Pepper" (reprise)
« on: October 13, 2007, 01:07:54 AM »

In regards to this "non-concept" concept album, what was the point of recording the "Sgt Pepper" reprise if it wasn't going to be the album-closer?  Were their intentions to close the album with the Reprise, until "A Day In The Life" was conceived?  And when "A Day In The Life" was conceived, why did it become the album-closer?  And since it was chosen as the closer, why bother with "Reprise?"

I'm so confused.

Believe it or not, I finally heard "Reprise" this very year.  Hearing it was strange...instead of the Beatles, I thought I was going to hear Shaun Cassidy start singing.  The drum-beat and guitars sounds very "Da Doo Ron Ron" from 1977 - shows the Beatles were always ahead of their time.  "Reprise" has a very California-sound to it, I only wish it was longer.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
Re: What's the point of "Sgt Pepper" (reprise)
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 03:59:37 AM »

Heh. I don't know how to deal with the question. It seems perfect to me somehow. Even with it being second to the last track. I couldn't conceive of a different plan. Old and set in my ways, I guess.

:P

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

BlueMeanie

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 09:13:41 AM »

'Reprise' was one of the last things recorded for Pepper. There was a need for something near the end of the album, because it was already decided that 'A Day In The Life' would be the closer. As the original idea of the album was to be like a show, it was decided to reprise the opening song as the penultimate performance leading into the grand finale. And thank God. Would you have ADITL following Good Morning, Good Morning?

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 07:09:35 AM »

Know i would'nt BlueMeanie and the track listing is just grand the way it is ,and i get the show concept  :)

DaveRam :)

wingsman

• Getting Better
  • There is always a reason to live
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 07:41:30 PM »

Quote from: 483
'Reprise' was one of the last things recorded for Pepper. There was a need for something near the end of the album, because it was already decided that 'A Day In The Life' would be the closer. As the original idea of the album was to be like a show, it was decided to reprise the opening song as the penultimate performance leading into the grand finale. And thank God. Would you have ADITL following Good Morning, Good Morning?

You're right. I always feel the Sgt Pepper as the most coordinated Beatles album, I mean the 13 songs are perfectly placed. Sgt Pepper fits perfectly before A Day In The Life.
A Day In The Life was the second song recorded for the album, right after When I'm Sixty-Four. And the reprise for Sgt Pepper was the last number recorded (it was recorded on April 1st, I think...). I guess they needed something really good to connect with A Day In The Life and that catchy 1:20 reprise is the greatest thing they could have done!

I love that reprise!  :P
An interesting fact is that the reprise -and not the 'original' version- was included on Anthology 2. But, in the Anthology Version Paul sings terrible, to me that's his worst vocal performance ever.  :-/ He sounds desinterested to sing.
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

Beatlemaniac64

• Getting Better
  • "Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted" - John
    • Instagram
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 10:02:58 PM »

I love the reprise, it's a great idea and fits in their perfectly, like people have been saying. And I know they were gonna sort of put the album out on tour instead of the band, and so were closing up the show and just saying "Hey, thanks for coming, here's our last number", ya know just like they did when they played live.
-Julia
Born 1991, fan since 2006

BlueMeanie

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 03:28:56 AM »

Also of interest, the reprise polled more votes in the Song Survivor game than the full song. 13 to 8!

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 09:41:45 AM »

Quote from: 828
I'm so confused.

That bit you've got right.  :)
The album was supposed to represent a show - and the reprise is an excellent way of conveying that "concept." It nicely ties everything together, and closing with the apolyectic (sp) A Day In The Life and not the reprise is genius.*
Funnily enough, on an earlier thread someone (Joost?) said the drumbeat from reprise predated hip hop rhythms, yet you hear Shaun Cassidy, Da Do Ron Ron and California. Personally, I hear Ringo playing the drums. Our analysising probably says more about the analysee than the...um...er...analysit.
* sorry BM - just read your post and realised I repeated your own original and succint comment. (we are so going to have to find something to disagree on.)
don't follow leaders

Chris

• A Beginning
    • My songs and stuff
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 08:48:48 PM »

It rocks, that's what the point is. (cool1)

My favorite bit of over-analysis ever written about it is actually something rather humorous, in Tim Riley's book: "When they sing 'It's getting very near the end,' they sound as if they're worried about falling off the edge of the record!"
Here's my book. It's funny! I promise.<br />Amazon

Buttmunker

• Getting Better
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 01:18:31 AM »

I love newbies.  They always come in with fresh perspectives and opinions!  

I LOVE the reprise, myself.  I only wish it was much longer.

The Fox Drummer

• A Beginning
  • I'm a drummer, not a wetnurse.
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 03:37:25 PM »

Reprise sets up 'A Day In The Life' perfectly - it's clearly intended to be a precursor for the latter, I think. They always play the two back-to-back on the radio. Makes my life. ;)
<br />One thing I can tell you is you got to be free...

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 01:30:08 AM »

Quote from: 828
I love newbies.  They always come in with fresh perspectives and opinions!  

I hope your referring to yourself with this quote and not Chris.

Chris

• A Beginning
    • My songs and stuff
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 04:28:37 PM »

I was going to say something about fresh buttmunkers, but I thought better of it.  8)
Here's my book. It's funny! I promise.<br />Amazon

Bungalow Bill

• A Beginning
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 06:22:28 AM »

It was an excuse to use the line "Sgt. Pepper's One and ONLY lonely heart's club band"
<br /><br />The All Knower of 1 Second Song Clips

PaulieBear

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tomorrow Never Knows
    • Twitter: Sammi_CoJo
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 01:45:04 AM »

Quote from: 597
It was an excuse to use the line "Sgt. Pepper's One and ONLY lonely heart's club band"

very true and a very good line I love singing every time the song comes on!

PaulieBear

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tomorrow Never Knows
    • Twitter: Sammi_CoJo
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 01:46:57 AM »

I think of ADITL as like an encore as if Sgt. Pepper's was an actual band leaving then stage and coming back for one last song.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2008, 04:20:27 AM »

Right.  And listen to the mono version and you'll hear Paul shouting all sorts of things in the background just before the fade out to A Day In The Life.
I can stay till it's time to go

BlueMeanie

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2008, 12:21:32 PM »

Quote from: 59
Right.  And listen to the mono version and you'll hear Paul shouting all sorts of things in the background just before the fade out to A Day In The Life.

The mono Pepper is excellent!

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2008, 01:35:35 PM »

Quote from: 483

The mono Pepper is excellent!

Totally totally agree. It is so much denser and richer. Within You Without You especially benefits. And I presume if you're listening to it in mono you're listening to it on a vinyl, in which case I think it all makes much more sense as two sides. Again, WYWY has much more impact as an opener rather than just one song in a run of many on a CD
don't follow leaders

shoshani

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2008, 01:36:06 PM »

Does anyone know why Purple Chick used (or they did according to a couple of site track listings) the DESS US versions of Pepper instead of the DESS UK versions?  (Or even the red mono/MFSL versions?)
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.766 seconds with 93 queries.