Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: John on stage  (Read 20369 times)

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
Re: John on stage
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2006, 10:18:02 PM »

I was watching the Ed Sullivan show with my friend, and he said that looked and moved like Eddie Munster! LOL!
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2006, 09:33:58 PM »

Quote from: 63
I know from singing lessons that in fact it is correct to stand like this: legs apart and knees bent. I doubt if John ever took lessons, maybe he heard it somewhere and thought it might work out ok. I agree that the way he does it, it looks somewhat silly and not natural.
Liam Gallagher seems to exagerate the pose ...
Quote from: 216
Why are people assuming he was uncomfortable or stiff? Maybe that's just the way he stood. I've seen other guitarists stand like that actually. Robbie Robertson for one. Anyway, he looked just fine to me. Does he stand like that later on in his career? I never noticed.
At least during the One On One Concert he did ...
Quote from: 403
I think George had more of a stiff stance than John. George didn't dance around much either, he stood their most of the time just playing. Hey, its tough to dance around and play the right notes.
George had to play correctly, specially his solos, so he was more concetrated than the other two frontmen ... but during their first Ed Sullivan Show (and let's remember that there were cameras and the exactly day it was) he looked quite comfortable and smiling -I'm thinking on Till There Was You performance, right now ... do you remember that moment during the performance of the song when that teenager's tongue :P ... well  ::) -...

...during some songs in Japan concerts (July 1966) he moved on stage more than the others ... spice-alley more than Ringo!!!  ;D

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2006, 10:12:38 PM »

Quote from: juniorsfarm
It was very cool. It was John's own stance. Almost a signature, and if he was comfortable in that stance, who gives a f***?

Agreed!  His stance is etched in our minds....in our minds...in our minds..

« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 02:36:08 AM by Hello Goodbye »
I can stay till it's time to go

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2006, 10:49:10 PM »

Quote from: 59
Agreed!  His stance is etched in our minds....in our minds...in our minds..

Agree:

SallyG

• A Beginning
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2006, 12:54:04 AM »

I think John was very charismatic on stage, stance and all. Look at Bill Wyman, he was like a statue, you can't even tell if he was breathing.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2006, 12:57:15 AM »

Yep, you can almost be expecting him to smile, give a wink or anything ... you can be watching him expecting that special weird moment knowing it will come at any time ... charisma!  8)

Wayne L.

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2006, 02:29:05 PM »

John wasn't a great performer, but he still had stage presence, even though he wasn't Paul or Ringo.  I thought he seemed in control of the stage at Shea Stadium  & in Toronto, without a doubt.

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2006, 04:54:39 PM »

of course he was in control of toronto it was his band..are you also saying ringo was a great performer and john wasn't?

SallyG

• A Beginning
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2006, 05:12:34 PM »

John was a great performer. He had presence. He didn't need to jump around or twirl a mike like Daltry. Can you imagine being in the same room watching him sing his songs? No, you can't. Even when he was stomping his feet or whatever, he was cool. You have to try to put yourself at the time at the moment. Wayne, if you were sitting at Carnegie Hall or in Washington, you'd have been blown away by all of them.

Wayne L.

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2006, 08:22:19 PM »

LOL.  You must be really uptight & have way too much time on your hands lennonlegend?  You mean to say John was in control in Toronto & it was his band. No.  I thought it was Klaus Voorman's band.  

« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2006, 08:56:02 PM »

what

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2006, 08:42:44 PM »

Didn't Gerry Marsden (of Gerry & the Pacemakers) also adopt the same stance?

Bobber

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2006, 08:54:45 AM »

Gerry holds his guitar quite high on the chest and leans a bit forward towards the mircophone. Live here: http://bobbr.podomatic.com/entry/2006-05-09T11_40_48-07_00

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2006, 12:01:05 PM »

Quote from: 63
Gerry holds his guitar quite high on the chest and leans a bit forward towards the mircophone.

That's quite a widely copied stance for Mersey bands - I seem to recall some members of The Las and the Coral also adopted a Marsden-esque stance too.

Bobber

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2010, 10:00:33 AM »

Didn't Gerry Marsden (of Gerry & the Pacemakers) also adopt the same stance?

The Searchers do it.

The searchers-Don't throw your love away

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2011, 09:29:43 AM »

Gerry Marsden said he used to have his guitar up high because it lessened the strain on his wrists when they were playing for long periods in one evening. You can keep the wrist a lot straighter like that, rather than having to bend it right round the neck.
He also said it meant he could look at the neck of the guitar without having to look down, away from the audience.

In the early days of The Who, Pete Townshend used to wear his guitar very high up - I think it became a fashionable thing to do around 1963/64 so lots of bands copied it, but as Gerry Marsden explained it was born out of necessity when playing long hours each night.

I think John's stance on stage is instantly recognisable - one of his trademarks - and he stuck with it when playing live right into the 70s, so it was obviously quite natural for him. It looks very cool to me - not awkward at all.

Ollier

• A Beginning
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2011, 11:58:21 PM »

George did the Liverpool leg.

Well done Bobber and Mr. Bell for actually bumping a worth while thread in this place...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 12:01:09 AM by Ollier »
Keeping you on your toes...

Toejam

• A Beginning
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2011, 05:14:28 PM »

Was watching Anthology last night and thought that John looks really uncomfortable on stage. He doesn't seem to have any real stage presence (?), while the other 3 (especially Paul) seem to have real charisma.
And the way John stands really bugs me. It looks so uncool. Is there any reason he did that?
And I find his little spastic acts embarrassing (but I guess the world was different then). I think that it was probably a cover for his nerves though. Maybe.
Yeah. I never thought he looked cool in that stance. I think the fact he was wearing a suit might have spoilt his enjoyment of playing live when Brian took them on. Maybe that's what he didn't like and the glasses thing too.
IMAGINE ALL THE PEEPLE

Toejam

• A Beginning
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2011, 05:21:53 PM »

I i've heard several times that even John admitted that he wasnt the best timekeeper. (guess i'll start searching for the quote now)
I read it in the book Revolution in the head by Ian McDonald. He only says it once but in a way that makes it sound like it's a well known fact. I can't see it myself. Johns creativity was def. the prime factor in his success more than musical technical ability, you even hear talk of him not being able to tune his guitar, but to suggest that he wasn't very competent at keeping time is just pushing crediblity for me.
IMAGINE ALL THE PEEPLE

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2011, 12:25:25 AM »

I always thought John looked the coolest on stage. That trademark wide legged, hunch shouldered stance looked natural to him and seemed to mark him out as the alpha male of the group, a proper front man. At a time when groups had to have a leader, he was unquestionably it. It helped that he was the most naturally gifted vocalist of the four (in my opinion).

As for timing, he always struck me as having more natural rhythm than Paul or George. He was underrated as a guitarist but his biggest failing on stage was fluffing his words - he never was very good at remembering lyrics, even his own! Paul and Ringo may have been the more showbizzy Beatles, but this only served to bolster Lennon and Harrison's more intriguing (dare I say charismatic?) presence both on and off stage.

Fan that I am, I must confess to always finding Paul far and away the most irritating and false on stage in those early Beatle days. Look at the way his head is shaking nervously whilst he sings on the 1963 Royal Variety Show . And I hated the way he kind of flicked his elbow in whenever he spun away from the microphone. Just little things but they either endear or annoy you I suppose. Always came over slightly too "hammy" for me. Funny when you stop to consider Paul was undoubtedly the one most at home on stage.

What I liked about the on stage Beatles was their ability to sing AND play (John, don't forget, could sing and accompany himself on both guitar and harmonica). Sorry, but I was never taken in by the swirling, twirling on stage antics of Jagger and Daltrey - to me they were simply prancing around to gloss over the fact they weren't talented enough to sing and competently play an instrument at the same time. Not so much Daltrey, but Jagger certainly always just looked silly and ridiculous to me - faintly embarrassing to be honest.

Will you tell him or shall I?  ;D

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.484 seconds with 79 queries.