Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Beatles under a microscope - Rubber Soul  (Read 41765 times)

nimrod

Re: Beatles under a microscope - Rubber Soul
« Reply #80 on: April 28, 2011, 02:51:45 AM »

one mans filler is another mans classic

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #81 on: April 28, 2011, 03:23:36 AM »

That was Hombre_de_ningun_lugar...

...but he's nowhere, man!

;D

I know we're not still discussing Revolver, but I think that "And Your Bird Can Sing" and "Doctor Robert" are fillers at least in comparison to the other songs of the album. They are enjoyable tunes, yes, but not as interesting as the other tracks in my opinion. John thought less than me about "And Your Bird Can Sing": "another horror" said in 1972 and "another of my throwaways" in 1980.

"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2011, 05:03:58 AM »

I had to drive into the city to pick them both up at Madison Square Garden.  They stopped at a bar after the concert and ran out of money for cab fare home.  All the way it was the two of them going "Rebel, rebel you've torn your dress.  Rebel, rebel your face is a mess."
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2011, 10:59:51 PM »

I forgot to mention I was driving an MGB.  Imagine squeezing two very drunk 19 year old girls into that car and driving 20 miles.

I cringe anytime I hear Rebel Rebel today.  I used to really like that song.

KelMar

« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2011, 11:29:29 PM »

I forgot to mention I was driving an MGB.

Sweet! Your sister was lucky. When I was 19 my brother took me to his friend's house. I thought it would be great until I woke up with my head hanging upside down off my mother's couch. He was telling me that would make me feel better and my mother was reading him the riot act. Apparently his friend's holiday punch was too much for me. That's not saying much for my drinking abilities because this friend used to serve this to the loyal customers in the back room of his grocery store at Christmas time and most of them were older ladies. I don't remember much about that night except that I think they must have been playing the Blue album because I think of this whenever I hear "Old Brown Shoe". LOL

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2011, 12:53:10 AM »

You too?  Why do 19 year old girls get like that?

My sister was lucky that our parents were away.  She was staying there during her summer break.  They continued singing Bowie songs (mostly Rebel Rebel) until they fell asleep.  The last thing my sister said to me before she conked out was "Please don't tell Mommy and Daddy."

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #86 on: May 08, 2011, 01:06:29 AM »

They continued singing Bowie songs

I hope you joined in with "Fame" HG!  ;)

...then spent the rest of the journey explaining to them how lucky Bowie had been to work with a genius  ;D

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: May 08, 2011, 01:25:48 AM »

I hope you joined in with "Fame" HG!  ;)

...then spent the rest of the journey explaining to them how lucky Bowie had been to work with a genius  ;D

I couldn't hear myself think over the din!  I spent the whole trip worrying that I'd be stopped by the police for having three people in a car for two and then having to explain what I was doing with these two p*ssed girls. 

I'm glad I never started them on other Bowie songs.  It leaves me some of his catalogue that I can listen to today.   ;)

KelMar

« Reply #88 on: May 08, 2011, 04:09:47 AM »

You too?  Why do 19 year old girls get like that?

Because our frontal lobes weren't fully connected yet. I think 19 year old boys might have that problem too though!

The last thing my sister said to me before she conked out was "Please don't tell Mommy and Daddy."

I'll bet you didn't either!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #89 on: May 08, 2011, 05:28:25 AM »

Women produce more alcohol dehydrogenase in their livers than men and so they can metabolize alcohol faster than men.  In short, women must drink more alcohol to get drunk than men.

How much punch did your brother give you?!   ;)

I'll bet you didn't either!

I never did.

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2011, 12:41:20 PM »

Women produce more alcohol dehydrogenase in their livers than men and so they can metabolize alcohol faster than men.  In short, women must drink more alcohol to get drunk than men.

Not according to most so called experts HG. For example: http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/HealthIssues/1055861926.html

It takes significantly more alcohol to get a man as drunk as a woman, hence the higher recommended safe daily limit of alcoholic units for men.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #91 on: May 10, 2011, 10:18:38 PM »

There are several errors in that article.  He was correct when he stated that females have a larger proportion of body fat as compared to males.  In effect, that leaves males with a higher proportion of body water into which alcohol (EtOH) can redistribute and minimize blood alcohol content.   

The article mentions "dehydrogenase."  I know he's referring specifically to Alcohol Dehydrogenase (ADH).  The author says that it's a "gastric or stomach enzyme."  Indeed gastric ADH is elaborated by the stomach lining but he fails to mention hepatic ADH produced in the liver which is the most active of the classes of ADH.  He also didn't discuss first pass (stomach) and second pass (liver) EtOH metabolism.

More recent research than cited in that article suggests that young women express lesser amounts of gastric ADH than young men but the reverse is true in middle-aged individuals.  Those findings should have been mentioned in the article.

The author is correct in his statement about food content in the digestive system but he's assuming that women typically eat very little and skip meals.  He mentions that women absorb nearly 30% more EtOH into their bloodstream than a male of the same height and weight.  He might be referring to the young female here.  I can't comment on hormonal effects on ADH as my specialty is not endocrinology.  My understanding of endocrinology is limited to the expression of various endocrine disorders and their medical and surgical management.

I was being very generic with the remarks I made in that post and I erred in the specific type of ADH and not specifying age, Mr Mustard.  There are many factors which come into play with alcohol consumption and blood alcohol levels.  Age, size and weight are the most obvious.  Different populations and genes for classes of ADH are the less obvious.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2011, 10:30:18 PM »

Not according to most so called experts HG.

For a sociologist, he was pretty authoritative.  Remember, he's writing this for a public service type of website.  I appreciate his intent and I fully agree with his warnings.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 12:45:41 AM by Hello Goodbye »

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #93 on: December 03, 2012, 11:05:57 PM »

Happy Birthday Rubber Soul! 47 years since December 3, 1965. I remember when I listened to the album for the first time. I had listened to some other Beatles albums before, but this was the one that defined me as an absolute fan.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: December 04, 2012, 04:54:53 AM »

Paul McCartney explains Rubber Soul album cover

Brynjar

• Getting Better
« Reply #95 on: January 24, 2013, 04:26:35 PM »

In My Life - This has been my favorite Beatles song for the longest time.  John was in a very reflective mood when he wrote this one.  At the time of its composition he expressed feelings not usually evident in songwriters of his vintage.  The beauty of this song is that it has taken on different meanings as I've grown older.

Everything fits together in this song: vocals, harmonies, guitar, bass, drums, piano, everything.  The slight crack in John's voice at the end belongs there.  It's an emotional moment for the singer.  The closing chord and its slight buzz made for a beautiful ending to a beautiful song.  It took me a while to get that buzz just right on my Country Gentleman.

I think In My Life should be listened to in mono to be fully appreciated.

THE BEATLES Remasters! /// 11. In My Life - (RUBBER SOUL) - (MONO Remastered 2009)

;yes

100% agree with you.  :)
They were the most brilliant, powerful, lovable, popular group on the planet. - Q, 1995.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #96 on: January 03, 2014, 09:59:08 AM »

Paul McCartney explains Rubber Soul album cover

I was enjoying reading all the thoughts on this great album and saw HG's picture of the album cover. I realised I haven't looked at it closely  for a long time. It's always been a cool one with that slight distortion. I only just now recall, as a young lad, that one thing that grabbed me was how much Ringo's hair profile reminded me of a coconut carved with a persons face that someone put in our old shed. (The coconut had a cigarette in its mouth in those less PC times). I'm sure lots of families in the late 60s had those coconut works of art.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #97 on: January 03, 2014, 11:32:54 PM »

I was enjoying reading all the thoughts on this great album and saw HG's picture of the album cover. I realised I haven't looked at it closely  for a long time. It's always been a cool one with that slight distortion.

We almost saw it coming, Moog...

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #98 on: January 05, 2014, 03:20:58 AM »

We almost saw it coming, Moog...

We did. Although I'd dub George Sir Coconut on the earlier album cover.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: January 05, 2014, 06:53:40 AM »

We did. Although I'd dub George Sir Coconut on the earlier album cover.

Yes.  Paul called it a "turnip-top..."

The Making Of Beatles For Sale (The video's owner prevents external embedding)

:)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Page created in 0.527 seconds with 83 queries.