Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Loveless Sgt. Pepper's ?  (Read 5498 times)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
Loveless Sgt. Pepper's ?
« on: January 30, 2008, 10:30:11 PM »

One of the things ive always found odd about  " Sgt. Pepper's " is that there are know real love songs on it ? which is strange considering it was released in the summer of love .
And both John and Paul had come up with lovely ballads on the albums before it , and continued to write them after it.
Don't get me wrong i did'nt want it full of mushy love songs , but one might have been nice .
Why do you think they were not feeling the love ? when everybody else seemed to be ? :)

Whoever

• Getting Better
Re: Loveless Sgt. Pepper's ?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 10:59:57 PM »

Within You, Without You is a love song.

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 11:12:48 PM »

yeah had'nt noticed that before, wasn't Sgt Peppers them trying to get away from the old ways of writing music ? like writing about love and writing about other everday things ?

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 11:40:13 PM »

He sat on a couch with Rita and a sister or two, as Squeeze put it, is that love?

I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 01:32:58 AM »

what about She's Leaving Home?

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 02:42:46 AM »

Quote from: 614
what about She's Leaving Home?

More about a mother and father losing their little girl isnt it?

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 02:48:32 AM »

yeah story he read in the newspaper

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 03:31:09 AM »

" Sexy Sadie " is whats missing a song like that , something for Pepper to pine over ?

Bobber

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 07:46:30 AM »

Quote from: 971
... which is strange considering it was released in the summer of love .

But they recorded it before the summer.  ;D

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 09:23:17 AM »

True Bobber , but it took it's first breath in the summer 1967 , that's when the world first heard it .
I just think it might have helped the narative on side two , because there is a narative there , if a balled had been placed between  " Lovely Rita " and  " Good Morning Good Morning " to counter balance the mood ?
I think a John Song maybe, bittersweet like  " Sexy Sadie " would have worked ?
I love it just the way it is , but it dips a bit there for me . The climax is brilliant though  ;) :)

Bobber

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 09:52:11 AM »

Plus they had a single out which was iconic for the summer of love.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 12:47:54 PM »

" Sexy Sadie " is whats missing a song like that , something for Pepper to pine over ?

I wouldn't call Sexy Sadie a love song.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 01:51:03 PM »

What i mean is a song like  " Sexy Sadie " would set up  " Good Morning Good Morning " better she's a goodtime girl and been messed around by her , would help the flow into Good Morning ?
I just feel maybe they missed the oppertunity to break the jocular mood from  " When I'm  Sixty Four " ,  " Lovely Rita " ,  " Good  Morning Good  Morning ".
 "Long Long Long " might have done the trick , it just needed something at that junction i feel a bit of lost love ?
Or maybe they should have ditched Good Morning and put  " Strawberry Fields Forever " their to bridge it better ?
Do you get my drift or should i just shut up BlueMeanie as i'm trifling with perfection ? ;D

BlueMeanie

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 02:10:40 PM »

Do you get my drift or should i just shut up BlueMeanie as i'm trifling with perfection ? ;D

Oh trifle away please Dave. ;D

legthi

• Getting Better
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 09:49:23 PM »

Quote from: 568
He sat on a couch with Rita and a sister or two, as Squeeze put it, is that love?

Loving the squeeze reference.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2008, 12:16:47 AM »

Quote from: 483

Oh trifle away please Dave. ;D

Will do ;) I'm a bit stuck for a love song for Pepper though , can think of any that really fit anyone any idea's ?

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2008, 11:53:29 AM »

Well if you believe that Mccartney died in 1966,like I do, then it is obvious they were hardly in the mood for love songs.The peppers tracks are hauntingly beautiful but melancholic.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2008, 12:00:34 PM »

Quote from: 1092
Well if you believe that Mccartney died in 1966,like I do, then it is obvious they were hardly in the mood for love songs.The peppers tracks are hauntingly beautiful but melancholic.

Rhiannon, you have already created two posts on the Paul is dead subject (not bad going for someone with only 3 posts). Please leave the subject out of posts that have nothing to do with it. Otherwise you may find your post deleted, or moved to another thread. You're entitled to your own opinions, but please try to keep them to relevant threads.

Thanks.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2008, 02:34:44 PM »

I'm a bit stuck for a love song for Pepper though

I suppose the best you're going to come up with for a boy meets girl is "Lovely Rita". Bad luck!  ;D

But why do we need a boy loves girl (or whatever gender loving whatever other gender) type of love song on this album anyway? Haven't the Beatles already written and sung about 90 million of that type of love song? I think it's way cool that they were branching out, showing interest in things beyond a topic that is too often used to limit pop songs and the artists who perform them. Lots of musical artists got this static as they moved forward in their careers.

George had to redo his Somewhere in England album because Warner didn't hear enough "hits" on it (which George described as teenage love songs), although (per Wiki) a survey conducted in 2006 of the top 50 most popular 'Harrisongs' on the official George Harrison.com message boards included only one song from the album as released and three of the four rejected songs. (In my opinion the meddling makes this one of George's weakest albums.) Tom Petty was told that his Full Moon Fever album was virtually unreleasable because of the same lack, but he got it through somehow (he tells the story in his autobiography). This was his best-selling solo album, if I'm not mistaken, containing hits such as "Free Fallin'", "I Won't Back Down" and "Runnin' Down A Dream".

Look, I don't mind love songs-- they're gear! But we don't need a love song per se to get a feeling of love, do we? Watch Love Actually again (just for the fun of it), about all the types of love being celebrated in various configurations. Sgt. Pepper's celebrates a love of life, music, friendship, family, home, drugs, and fuzzy little animals. What can be more loving than that?

I would hate to see Sgt. Pepper's tried to be squashed into the mold, when it did so much to break the mold. It expanded consciousness in all directions-- what music could do and sound like, what artists could release as a viable commercial product that didn't follow the "rules", what people could think about and discuss that wasn't limited to "safe" subjects. Go ahead, talk about being old or being high or marking the death of a friend. The only limit is your own mind.

I know you were only asking the question, DaveRam. I'm sorry for this long response, but "The Summer of Love" was a media contrivance. The Beatles didn't follow the media; the media followed them. Obviously there was enough love in this album to make it the poster child of that time period. I am happy to take the results as they stand. :) *hugs DaveRam in a completely platonic way*
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Bobber

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2008, 02:40:14 PM »

Thank you Ringo, that was wonderful.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.874 seconds with 83 queries.