Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28

Author Topic: Who should become the next US president?  (Read 63555 times)

BlueMeanie

Re: Who should become the next US president?
« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2008, 08:18:43 PM »

Sorry to come over all clueless like, but why does Hillary Clinton's web site only list 49 states?

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2008, 09:05:26 PM »

Quote from: 483
Get used to saying 'President McCain'.
If that happens I'll go live in whatever 50th state is sliding under the radar...

All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2008, 02:29:54 AM »

A couple of friends of mine were just talking about Obama and assassination. I was shocked. I hadn't even given the possibility a thought! Personally, I don't think this country is in that place anymore. The two I was chatting with are both older people and were around in the sixties, so I guess to them it's more of a reality. I just don't believe people in this country have that intense level of hatred towards African American's anymore. Not to that extent. I mean, there's always a faction and I believe that faction is very small and stupid and not a threat. I also believe that he's got one hell of a security team and will not put himself at such risk. But that's just me trying to have faith in humanity. Probably just being naive and stupid though as was pointed out to me by my baby boomer friends!  :P

Anyway, I think if anything the hatred aimed at us from outside the country has brought a feeling of closeness with one another regardless of race. At least it felt that way right after you know what. I still think those feelings prevail on some level. But then I live in a VERY liberal city where people are extremely accepting of one another. Maybe that's affected my judgment.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2008, 03:13:21 AM »

Quote from: 216
A couple of friends of mine were just talking about Obama and assassination.

That thought occurred to me, too, I'm sorry to say. It's not the racist angle that concerns me so much as it is the loser looking for his fifteen minutes of fame bit.

As for the broader question of who should become president, I'm still naively idealistic enough (just) to hope that a guy like Obama could make a difference. I'm also cynical enough to know where I'd place my bet on his chances of succeeding.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2008, 04:08:44 AM »

Obama made another terrific speech, this time addressing the unpopular racial question. In my mind, he handles these types of divisive issues beautifully.

You can watch or read the whole speech here:

http://www.moveon.org/r?r=3511&id=12333-1263300-H1Mh81&t=546

If you're busy, here's a highlight from the speech:

http://www.moveon.org/r?r=3510&id=12333-1263300-H1Mh81&t=547
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2008, 04:14:29 AM »

I have the dreadful impression that Jeremiah Wright just tilted this race back towards Senator Clinton, perhaps decisively.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/18/us/politics/18wright.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Bobber

« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2008, 08:26:55 AM »

After watching a documentary on television about the Iraq swindle, I have lost all faith in politicians. In the end, it's all just a bunch of liars.
Sorry, no offence intended, but it was another drop in a full bucket.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #87 on: March 19, 2008, 11:47:31 AM »

I watched Obamas speech on BBC and I liked what he said but...I reckon Hilary got to Jeremiah.

I mostly agree Bobber...I also saw that an ex-CIA agent of 20 years experience is releasing a book on Iraq...In the interview he pretty much declares that Sunny's & Muslims should be left to civil war by pulling American troops out and his other big statement is that the US should not rely on Gulf oil. It's all a bloody mess.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

BlueMeanie

« Reply #88 on: March 19, 2008, 12:05:49 PM »

Quote from: 15
and his other big statement is that the US should not rely on Gulf oil. It's all a bloody mess.

What an original thought! And let's not forget all the fresh water they pipe in from Canada.

Bobber

« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2008, 12:11:32 PM »

Don't know if we watched the same.  :)  My main thing is that in order to go to war, lies were collected and presented as the truth. It is proven that Bush and Blair went to war (and other countries as well because 'if you are not with us, you are against us') based on lies. The complete statement Colin Powell made in the UN meeting was a big lie. He might not have known that himself, but probably he was used. To me, it is still unbelievable that George W Bush is the American president and one of the most powerful men on Earth to this very day. And our own administration over here still has some of the same people on high posts, who were involved in getting along with these lies. They have never been called to justice. In the documentary it was proven that the press and the public were manipulated by the militairy and so administrations of the US and (in a lesser degree) the UK. In the first days of the Iraq War they were told nothing but a few positive points in order to make us believe that it would all soon be over without much loss of lives. And once again, the lie has been proven a lie. Now, how can I be convinced of the credibility and integrity of ANY politician anywhere on this planet? It looks like a complete set up. The Dutch administration went along with Bush and a short time later, the Dutch minister Jaap de Hoop Scheffer (then of Foreign Affairs) became the new secretary general of the NATO. It is all planned, they all shake hands and have a few laughs together. There might be some politicians who are truely working on the people's case, but even in my own village, it's mostly for their own good that they base their decisions on.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2008, 12:18:58 PM »

The Danes also went along with it. But just before the last election, when the Prime Minister - Anders Fogh Rasmussen - realised he was behind in the polls, he pulled the Danish troops out.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
    • The studio
« Reply #91 on: March 19, 2008, 01:03:59 PM »

Quote from: 483

What an original thought! And let's not forget all the fresh water they pipe in from Canada.

Well I did think that they would preserve Alaska's oil supplies first by draining the middle east. lol

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
    • The studio
« Reply #92 on: March 19, 2008, 01:06:59 PM »

Quote from: 63
Don't know if we watched the same.  :)  My main thing is that in order to go to war, lies were collected and presented as the truth. It is proven that Bush and Blair went to war (and other countries as well because 'if you are not with us, you are against us') based on lies. The complete statement Colin Powell made in the UN meeting was a big lie. He might not have known that himself, but probably he was used. To me, it is still unbelievable that George W Bush is the American president and one of the most powerful men on Earth to this very day. And our own administration over here still has some of the same people on high posts, who were involved in getting along with these lies. They have never been called to justice. In the documentary it was proven that the press and the public were manipulated by the militairy and so administrations of the US and (in a lesser degree) the UK. In the first days of the Iraq War they were told nothing but a few positive points in order to make us believe that it would all soon be over without much loss of lives. And once again, the lie has been proven a lie. Now, how can I be convinced of the credibility and integrity of ANY politician anywhere on this planet? It looks like a complete set up. The Dutch administration went along with Bush and a short time later, the Dutch minister Jaap de Hoop Scheffer (then of Foreign Affairs) became the new secretary general of the NATO. It is all planned, they all shake hands and have a few laughs together. There might be some politicians who are truely working on the people's case, but even in my own village, it's mostly for their own good that they base their decisions on.

I agree Bobber....it sounds like my local council......Corruption at every level and those in power only care about career/wage enhancement.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #93 on: March 19, 2008, 02:02:12 PM »

To me, it is still unbelievable that George W Bush is the American president
Yes, our Congress has no backbone. They should have impeached the creep.

I do think there are fair-minded people who get into politics. I think it's easy to be corrupted, but I do think a lot of people are sincere and community minded when they start.

As for Wright, I watched one news clip from Fox with his supposed "anti-American" comments, and he was saying things like, "We were lied to about weapons of mass destruction" (does anyone doubt this now?) and "America is controlled by rich white people" (does anyone doubt _that_ either)? To me, this is the kind of passionate preaching that goes on in these types of churches, intended to fire up the congregation. I don't know. I only watched it once, but I suppose I'm missing what it is that has everyone in an uproar. (For what it's worth, I never understood the wild enthusiasm over the Da Vinci Code, either. I read the book and said, "Um, was this the bit that had everyone worked up?")

PaulieBear

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tomorrow Never Knows
    • Twitter: Sammi_CoJo
« Reply #94 on: March 20, 2008, 10:22:33 PM »

Hilary
but I can't vote so oh well

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #95 on: March 21, 2008, 11:48:29 PM »

Warning: USA-centric post to follow, no offense intended to all the wonderful people on this forum that hail from elsewhere ...

Either one is fine (Hillary or Obama), as long as they win in November!

If I knew for sure that Obama had the cojones to be tough when needed, he'd have my full support, for what it's worth. He has more upside potential than Hillary in my opinion, with the possibility that politics can truly be changed, maybe to a noble calling (think JFK and Peace Corps, motivating a generation of Americans to give to their country). But the downside is higher too ... will he be able to be get things done when his opponents spit in the hand he extends in partnership?

Hillary is tough and competent, nothing to be taken for granted after the last 8 years of hell. If I knew for sure that as President she wouldn't be so polarizing to her opponents that there would be NO chance of breaking the gridlock in D.C. strangling the entire nation, SHE'd have my full support. But heaven forbid, what if she is the ONLY thing that could mobilize the radical rabid repulsive right to get over their self-pity and off their couches to vote in the election?!!!

I don't know any of those things for sure, so I'm not really sure who of the two would be the best president. All I know is that it CAN'T be a Republican. That would be like giving the OK for the Republicans (and their empowering cla$$) to twist the knife that Bush has already stabbed into the heart of our fine country (and soul, if that is possible). (Sorry for the sad meta4, harihead feel free to edit...)

FWIW, when I voted in the Democratic primaries (TX), I voted for Hillary. I suppose that was an "old person's vote" for the known with less upside, over the unknown with more upside but more also downside.

:)
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #96 on: March 22, 2008, 02:14:13 AM »

Quote from: 568
He has more upside potential than Hillary in my opinion, with the possibility that politics can truly be changed, maybe to a noble calling (think JFK and Peace Corps, motivating a generation of Americans to give to their country). But the downside is higher too ...

Obama's real problem is that he is raising expectations that aren't going to be met. "New" politics always becomes "old" as soon as it clashes with the simple reality of having to get something done, and Obama's task is going to be managing that transition. In other words, either before the election or some time soon after (assuming that he is the nominee and wins), he is going to need a second act. He is a marvelously gifted rhetorician, but he cannot simply keep going on about "change." He is going to need specific goals, and a realistic political strategy for achieving them.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
    • The studio
« Reply #97 on: March 22, 2008, 11:28:18 AM »

If Hilary learnt from Bill, then she learnt that you postpone all decision making to the end of your term and what was that flouride water thing he passed?....Obama all the way....strengthened by Hilary's assaults hopefully! lol

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #98 on: March 22, 2008, 12:56:22 PM »

Quote from: 15
....Obama all the way....strengthened by Hilary's assaults hopefully! lol

Some commentators over here have been saying the same thing: that Obama's biggest test is surviving the Clintons' Lee Atwater style brick-to-the-head tactics. John McCain and the congressional Republicans are small potatoes by comparison. There's an old joke about lawyers that also suits the Clintons:

Three reasons why scientists would rather use lawyers instead of rats in their lab experiments:
1) There are more of them.
2) You don't have to worry about your lab assistants becoming attached to them.
3) There are some things that rats will just refuse to do as a matter of principle.
 ;)

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #99 on: March 22, 2008, 01:40:36 PM »

Thanks, Geoff, you made my morning.

Agree with  An Apple Beatle that Bill Clinton postponed his vital legislation until the very end of his term-- that way he wouldn't upset his corporate buddies. He could say to his base, "I tried" and say to his funders, "You'll only have to put up with this for 6 months, then the next guy will repeal everything" (which Bush did).

We have _got_ to get private interest money out of our government.

I see Hillary as "old school, more of the same". I wanted to get behind her, but she has completely lost my respect. If she wins the election, I might actually have to sit out, as I can vote for neither "Forever War" McCain or Clinton. And I have never missed an election.

Re: Obama:
He is going to need specific goals, and a realistic political strategy for achieving them.
Everyone says this, but I have to ask, when did Bush have the same? Did he ever have a specific plan? I know he's a dope, but he's also our president and as far as I can tell, he doesn't have plans for anything. Upon entering office, he hadn't any plans except "How the heck can we get our hands on more MidEast oil?" which never went anywhere until after 9/11, and then the world gave him a pass. His only "plan" since then has been "stay the course", even when the course has been proven disastrous, and the mass murderer who started it, Bin Laden, walks free. Did you ever see a more incompetent attempt at follow-up than the United States' arthritic response to Afghanistan? Except Katrina; we couldn't handle Katrina either and it was right here.

I can't believe people still want more of the same, but that's what you'll be getting with McCain. At least Clinton will do some things I approve of, but her liplock with big business will mean America will continue to go down the tubes.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28

Page created in 0.414 seconds with 79 queries.