Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Microscope: Forever Changes (Love)  (Read 34956 times)

nimrod

Re: Microscope: Forever Changes (Love)
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2011, 01:27:33 AM »

Yeah...The (Peter) Green Manalishi was a case in point..

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
  • The Rock n' Roll Warrior
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2011, 01:42:04 AM »

Yeah...The (Peter) Green Manalishi was a case in point..

I love that song! JUDAS PRIEST did a great version of that song.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2011, 03:14:31 PM »

After going back and rereading this thread and thinking about it, i've come to the conclusion that i'm not a lover of the Blues. I like the Blues when some of my favorite artists go that route, but its not something I would go and search for or listen to just for the hell of it. I guess i'm depressed enough without the help.  ha2ha

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2011, 05:02:20 PM »

I'm not a fan of blues. I generally like my music either hard, fast and energetic, or soft, beautiful and melodic. Blues usually is neither.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2011, 05:43:12 PM »

I'm very versatile when it comes to music in general, I love all styles of music, I especailly love the Blues, Gospel, Country and Bluegrass because all of these music styles would contribute in the beginnings of Rock n' Roll. If it wouldn't have been for Blues music and the British artists that idolized them, there would never have been a British Invasion in 1964.

It is true, the Blues sound (In the beginning) is neither hard, fast, energetic and/or soft, beautiful and melodic. However, the British changed all of that in the 1960's. Had it not been for the British bands in the 1960's, the Blues music would have died. Despite the pain in many Blues songs, the British artists added life to them by making the music hard, fast, energetic and/or soft, beautiful and melodic. THE YARDBIRDS, THE ROLLING STONES, THE KINKS, THE BEATLES, FLEETWOOD MAC (The Peter Green Years), CREAM and LED ZEPPELIN are perfect examples just to name a few. The Black artists from America would explore the Blues sound further by mixing the Blues sound with Gospel music and come up with Soul music in the 1960's which I love very much. 

Music is something that can't be forced upon ourselves, either we like it or we don't. Take care.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2011, 06:21:39 PM »

I'm not a big fan of pure Blues either, but I love Blues-based bands like the Yardbirds, the Stones and Cream. I especially love the way the Yardbirds did their experimental Blues around 1965-1966. It's like Tango in Argentina, I'm not a fan of the genre, but I dig the work done by experimental people like Astor Piazzolla. In fact, here Piazzolla is much more respected by Rock people than by pure Tango people.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2011, 06:51:38 PM »

I should be ashamed of myself, I left out JOHN MAYALL & THE BLUESBREAKERS! Like THE YARDBIRDS, John Mayall produced some great guitarists!

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2011, 07:05:17 PM »

I'm not a big fan of pure Blues either, but I love Blues-based bands like the Yardbirds, the Stones and Cream. I especially love the way the Yardbirds did their experimental Blues around 1965-1966. It's like Tango in Argentina, I'm not a fan of the genre, but I dig the work done by experimental people like Astor Piazzolla. In fact, here Piazzolla is much more respected by Rock people than by pure Tango people.

Hi Hombre_de_ningun_lugar! How's it going? Pure Blues music takes a while to get used to if you're not familiar with it. I love listening to the original Blues versions of "Crossroads," "Love In Vain" and "Travelling Riverside Blues" by the late great ROBERT JOHNSON because then you can really hear the results of what CREAM, THE STONES and LED ZEPPELIN contributed to those songs. Take care.   

nimrod

« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2011, 11:18:03 PM »

I'm very versatile when it comes to music in general, I love all styles of music, I especailly love the Blues, Gospel, Country and Bluegrass because all of these music styles would contribute in the beginnings of Rock n' Roll. If it wouldn't have been for Blues music and the British artists that idolized them, there would never have been a British Invasion in 1964.

It is true, the Blues sound (In the beginning) is neither hard, fast, energetic and/or soft, beautiful and melodic. However, the British changed all of that in the 1960's. Had it not been for the British bands in the 1960's, the Blues music would have died. Despite the pain in many Blues songs, the British artists added life to them by making the music hard, fast, energetic and/or soft, beautiful and melodic. THE YARDBIRDS, THE ROLLING STONES, THE KINKS, THE BEATLES, FLEETWOOD MAC (The Peter Green Years), CREAM and LED ZEPPELIN are perfect examples just to name a few. The Black artists from America would explore the Blues sound further by mixing the Blues sound with Gospel music and come up with Soul music in the 1960's which I love very much. 

Music is something that can't be forced upon ourselves, either we like it or we don't. Take care.

very good post BF, I always think of it like this, The British bands you mentioned introduced white America to Blues, but in a more exciting form..

dont forget;
Ten Years After (Woodstock)
Wishbone Ash
The Pretty Things
Chicken Shack
Rory Gallagher

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2011, 12:22:50 AM »

very good post BF, I always think of it like this, The British bands you mentioned introduced white America to Blues, but in a more exciting form..

dont forget;
Ten Years After (Woodstock)
Wishbone Ash
The Pretty Things
Chicken Shack
Rory Gallagher

Thanks mate! You hit it right on the dot mate, all the British did was bring the American Blues sound back to America but in a more exciting and Rockin' way! Its really hard to believe that the British bands idolized the Brues greats more than the Americans did and the Blues greats are from America. That's because white America was very prejudice against the black people, especially the black artists, and tried to keep them down. How sad! In reality, the British knew everything that there is to know about the Blues, that is until an African/Indian American from Seattle, Washington flew over to England in late 1966 and schooled all of the British guitarists with his blistering live performances. The guitarist's name is Johnny Allen Hendrix, later changed by his Father, the late Al Hendrix, to James Marshall Hendrix A.K.A. JIMI HENDRIX. And as the saying goes, and the rest is Rock n' Roll history! Take care mate.

Those are great bands you mentioned mate, especially TEN YEARS AFTER, WISHBONE ASH, CHICKEN SHACK and RORY GALLAGHER.     

nimrod

« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2011, 02:20:18 AM »

oh and I dont think we mentioned the Animals

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2011, 02:55:47 AM »

oh and I dont think we mentioned the Animals

Damn, how could I forget THE ANIMALS! Great band!

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2011, 09:41:03 PM »

George's All Things Must Pass album is equal or better than the best solo works by John and Paul. However his other records never were close to that level. John is my favourite solo Beatle, I think he gave the best material from 1970 to 1975, which is the most substantial period for all ex-Beatles solo careers. Anyway, John only released two truly great albums (Plastic Ono Band and Imagine) plus some good albums with a couple of classic songs and several fillers.
i don't think that anything john did was filler, from run for your life to anything else in between.  i really do wonder where people get that loony conception from. nothing personal there Hombre de ningun lugar, but that is just how i feel.
 ;sorry
day tripper yeah

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2011, 09:58:07 PM »

Here's another from LOVE!

Love - 02 - A House Is Not A Motel

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2011, 10:37:39 PM »

Nevertheless, my favoritism didn't change when I gave a try to the other ex-Beatles careers. Paul's solo career was too lightweight to my ears, and I care too much about the lyrics to forgive his silly stuff; George never developed after his marvelous All Things Must Pass, and even that record is over-produced beyond its geniality, I tend to dislike that; and Ringo, well, he's Ringo. Now, I think that John's lack of virtuosity and new musical ideas is compensated by his superior songwriting, and if we just talk about the music I also prefer his style.
Hi hombre de ningun lugar. i think you may need to take a closer listen to Cloud Nine. It includes the hit Got My Mind Set on You.
 ;yes
day tripper yeah

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #75 on: November 20, 2011, 10:54:03 PM »

I think thats true mate....Imagine is of course THE album everyone regards as his best but I prefer Plastic Ono Band, especially the lyrics,

'they hate you if your clever and they despise a fool'

'Remember when you were young, how the hero, was never hung'

'I was the dreamweaver, but now Im reborn, I was the walrus but now Im John'

Just a selection of what I love about this album, I think to write music about whats going on in your very soul and express what that is is truly artistic, I dont think even Dylan couldve written this album.
Todd is right that it is self absorbed, but theres only one song called Mother.....and didnt every great artist paint a self portrait ?
hi nimrod. yes of course, that was john being john, honest and upfront. between the two albums that is a super-tough comparison indeed. working class hero versus i don't want to be a soldier, a real tough choice to make imo.
 ;yes
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 11:07:33 PM by 7 of 13 »
day tripper yeah

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #76 on: November 21, 2011, 01:19:31 AM »

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #77 on: November 22, 2011, 01:23:26 AM »

i don't think that anything john did was filler, from run for your life to anything else in between.  i really do wonder where people get that loony conception from. nothing personal there Hombre de ningun lugar, but that is just how i feel.
 ;sorry

The fact that he released plenty of filler. The only thing loony would be to think everything he did was great. Nothing personal, but thats how the majority of music listeners feel.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #78 on: November 22, 2011, 02:27:02 AM »

;sorry

John may be my very favourite musician ever, but that's mostly for what he did with the Beatles rather than for his solo career. That said, his solo career is my favourite one among ex-Beatles careers, though most of his albums are far from being masterpieces in my opinion. Now, when I say "filler" I don't exactly mean "bad", I just mean that a song is nothing special, though it could be quite enjoyable. "Mother", "Love", "Imagine", "Oh My Love", "Mind Games", "#9 Dream", those are special songs from my point of view.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 02:33:09 AM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #79 on: November 22, 2011, 02:32:28 AM »

Hi hombre de ningun lugar. i think you may need to take a closer listen to Cloud Nine. It includes the hit Got My Mind Set on You.
 ;yes

I think I mentioned Cloud Nine before. I really dislike that record, and "Got My Mind Set On You" is probably the song I dislike the most. Sorry, I love George, but I can't help but hate 1980's over-production. It's just an artificial sound that I can't stand.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Page created in 0.874 seconds with 81 queries.