Solo forums > Paul McCartney

Controversial comments made by macca on lennon ?

(1/4) > >>

chewinggum:
hello

i'm new, my name's marc
i'm a little journalist

could you all tell me if macca really said sth like that

'lennon wasnt martin luther king; lennon was suspicious, plotter, parano, jealous and took advantage of songs he never wrote'

it comes from the (serious) french public tv in 1985
watch the 3rd videoclip
http://obsession.nouvelobs.com/people/20120131.OBS0272/la-carriere-de-paul-mccartney-en-5-videos.html

jamesbjorkman:
Wow, that's a lot of stuff for Paul to have said about John!

I think I would have seen something if Paul had ever come right out and said that John claimed credit for Paul's songs, was suspicious, etc.  They sometimes had slightly different recollections of how much each contributed to particular songs, but that's not the same as calling the other out.

That's not to say that Paul didn't THINK all those things, perhaps rightly in some small ways.  He may have said those things in private, wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.  Paul, however, is much too diplomatic to come right out and slag off Lennon in the media, with any cameras or tape recorders around. Trust me, it would be big news if he did.  Instead, he says oblique things about John that can be interpreted various ways, such as (I'm paraphrasing here) "People think that John was the bully and I was nice, but that's not the way it was at all."  They both used their song lyrics to (supposedly) take shots at each other, but that requires interpretation and they are, again, oblique shots at best.

Here are some thing that Paul DID say about John.  You might notice Paul often uses little qualifiers when saying things about Lennon, such as "in the main" and "it wasn't always" like that, or putting his praise in the past tense:

"I feel that if I said anything about John, I would have to sit here for five days and say it all. Or I don't want to say anything."

"John's time and effort were, in the main, spent on pretty honorable stuff. As for the other side, well, nobody's perfect, nobody's Jesus. And look what they did to him."

"To keep the record straight, it wasn't always John and Yoko. We've all accused one another of various business things; we tend to be pretty paranoid by now, as you can imagine. There's a lot of money involved."

"I definitely did look up to John. We all looked up to John. He was older and he was very much the leader; he was the quickest wit and the smartest."

The best stories, though, are the ones where you have to look at what Paul does rather than what he says.  For instance, there's a story (perhaps made up) that he saw a songbook that, for space reasons, supposedly credited "Yesterday" solely to Lennon.  That started the whole "Lennon/McCartney" vs. "McCartney/Lennon" fiasco of about ten years ago.

Also delicious are the (probably completely made up) stories that suggest a deep dislike between Paul and the others, such as the one that Yoko supposedly set Paul up for the Tokyo drug bust (while, um, John was still very much alive).

But if anyone can point me to a direct quote wherein Paul flat-out calls John a weasel, I will be astonished, because I have never seen one in the media directly attributed to him.

chewinggum:
apparently

macca would have said this sentence in private
in May 1981 (right after he'd attended Ringo's wedding to Barbara Bach on April 27)

macca was tired of all the titles proclaiming lennon as the best beatles ever !

i think you can read that in one of the  biographies written by Hunter Davies.

Toejam:

--- Quote from: jamesbjorkman on August 21, 2012, 12:06:52 AM ---, oblique shots at best.

--- End quote ---

There's nothing oblique about How do you sleep?!!!!

nimrod:

--- Quote from: chewinggum on August 21, 2012, 12:08:34 PM ---apparently

macca would have said this sentence in private
in May 1981 (right after he'd attended Ringo's wedding to Barbara Bach on April 27)

macca was tired of all the titles proclaiming lennon as the best beatles ever !

i think you can read that in one of the  biographies written by Hunter Davies.

--- End quote ---

I think we all know that they took big swipes at each other and criticised each other, its no big deal, even siblings have that love/hate thing going, yes they sometimes got on each others tits and said nasty things.................so what ?

Since John died Paul has said great things about John (even wrote a song about him) John said great things about Paul before he died (he even said he loved him) you dont say these things unless you mean them, I see the b****ing as a sibling type thing, Ive called my brother a dickhead more than once :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version