Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: What was Ringo's best drumming  (Read 42284 times)

BLEEN

• One And One Is Two
Re: What was Ringo's best drumming
« Reply #80 on: January 16, 2013, 05:32:34 PM »

Hey tkitna, thank you for the welcome! This is a great forum, I really enjoy it.

Paul was the best at his particular instrument though. Ringo had his own style and was great, but Paul was so innovative on the bass at the time, that many top players (Jamerson, etc,,,) were influenced.

I would venture to say just as many great drummers have been influenced by Ringo, including Phil Collins, Max Weinberg, Jim Keltner and many others. Of course, the matter of 'best' among The Beatles is purely a matter of opinion on my part. I certainly think Paul is one of the best bassists ever, and would definitely rank him second on his particular instrument after Ringo!

Yeah, Purdies great and a legendary player, but he's a legendary bag of air too.

LOL no doubt about that. I just thought it interesting that he believes himself to be one of the greats, and yet tries to convince people that's HIM playing on those recordings, when we all know it's Ringo! He must think very highly indeed of Ringo's playing.
The Greatest Band Of All Time

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #81 on: December 12, 2014, 01:32:38 AM »

Regarding who was best at "their" instrument... Paul originally took on bass because no one else would, but he was also an incredible (if only occasional) lead guitarist...and keyboard player... so versatile! But OK "his" instrument is bass and I think he is sometimes underrated on that by non-fans just as Ringo is  underrated as a drummer.

As far as I'm aware John was the only Beatle who could competently play two instruments at once (guitar and harmonica) whilst singing a song he also wrote... now that's talent!! He was an underrated guitarist too (and, in my opinion, a great keyboard player as well).

Back to the drumming though - I haven't the first clue on the technicalities and what is and isn't difficult to play, but I've always loved Ringo's loose style on "Hello Goodbye" - very effectively breathes a dimension of extra "life" into the song I've always thought...

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #82 on: December 12, 2014, 12:32:21 PM »

Regarding who was best at "their" instrument... Paul originally took on bass because no one else would, but he was also an incredible (if only occasional) lead guitarist...and keyboard player... so versatile! But OK "his" instrument is bass and I think he is sometimes underrated on that by non-fans just as Ringo is  underrated as a drummer.

As far as I'm aware John was the only Beatle who could competently play two instruments at once (guitar and harmonica) whilst singing a song he also wrote... now that's talent!! He was an underrated guitarist too (and, in my opinion, a great keyboard player as well).

Back to the drumming though - I haven't the first clue on the technicalities and what is and isn't difficult to play, but I've always loved Ringo's loose style on "Hello Goodbye" - very effectively breathes a dimension of extra "life" into the song I've always thought...

I struggle with some of Paul's lead guitar playing.  Of course I struggle with his drumming too.  Regarding his lead playing, sometimes it just sounds stiff and forced to me, but he isn't a lead guitarist.  I truly feel if he was the lead player from the beginning, he's so talented that we would have had something special as he grew into the role.  More so then George if i'm allowed to say that.

I agree with you about Ringo's drumming on Hello/Goodbye.  Your description of his loose playing is spot on.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #83 on: December 12, 2014, 01:28:40 PM »

I struggle with some of Paul's lead guitar playing.  Of course I struggle with his drumming too.  Regarding his lead playing, sometimes it just sounds stiff and forced to me, but he isn't a lead guitarist.  I truly feel if he was the lead player from the beginning, he's so talented that we would have had something special as he grew into the role.  More so then George if i'm allowed to say that.

I agree with you about Ringo's drumming on Hello/Goodbye.  Your description of his loose playing is spot on.

I tend to agree on Paul's lead playing. He didn't do much that struck me as memorable. He could do some flashy sounding stuff but that was his limit. Taxman was a good solo. But I struggle to think of anything else with the Beatles or in his solo work that grabbed me. George had his limitations but I think he developed into a far more interesting player. Particularly once his slide work came into play.

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2015, 10:09:05 AM »

Hello again everyone.it's been a while.......thought I'd catch up again and see what was going on here!!!since I last posted I've become a dad again to a little son and heir (James-named after Paul,obviously)and also,I have joined a Beatles tribute band here in the UK,bought myself a 1967 Ludwig super classic just like Ringos',so life is good!!!

lovely to read all of the posts about Ringos' playing.and although I have joined a tribute act and really tried to brush up on all of Ringos' parts,i still have trouble with 'I feel fine','Help!','Act naturally',and the rest.but the other boys in the band think I drum great!!and also I'm only 5 foot 6 tall so I make a good Ringo once I have the wig and suit on. ;D
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2015, 11:35:09 AM »

also I'm only 5 foot 6 tall so I make a good Ringo once I have the wig and suit on. ;D

Pictures!

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #86 on: January 26, 2015, 01:04:56 PM »

will gladly post some pics up as soon as we have some done!! ;)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #87 on: January 26, 2015, 08:03:09 PM »

Hello again everyone.it's been a while.......thought I'd catch up again and see what was going on here!!!since I last posted I've become a dad again to a little son and heir (James-named after Paul,obvously)and also,I have joined a Beatles tribute band here in the UK,bought myself a 1967 a Ludwig super classic just like Ringos',so life is good!!!

Good to hear from you again GO.  Congratulations on fatherhood.  Also congrats on the Beatle tribute band.  Post up some vids when they are available.

KelMar

« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2015, 04:01:02 AM »

Nice to meet you Glass Onion! Congratulations on the new little one and your new band. Both sound like fun.

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2015, 09:58:10 AM »

thank you,In My Life,and nice to meet you,too.The tribute band is something I have looked at getting into for a good few years now,I have kind of been 'sniffing' around Beatles bands for quite a while,so when the opportunity came along to audition,I just got my chops as tight as possible,and went for it.I was told by the lads in the band that I was the best Ringo who auditioned 'by quite a margin',which was really nice to know,and it kind of gives you that much more confidence.I have done 2 gigs with the band so far;both have gone very well with no hiccups.It is also very,very nice to get dressed as a Beatle,there are the 4 of us there,and like Paul says,when you are all dressed the same,you really are a band.We do the black suits,the Shea Stadium jackets,the black turtle neck sweaters,and sometime this year hopefully we are looking into Sgt.Pepper costumes.The other big thing for me as well......the audience is switched on from the very first chord.I have played in bands for the best part of 25 years now (I'm 40),and it's the first time I have ever had an audience specifically come to see 'my band' play.It is a really good feeling,and they love the Ringo singalong stuff!!Magic!!God Bless Ringo Starr,he's given me a leg up in life here.Just pretend to be Ringo and you'll be ok!!! ;yes ;D ;D ;)

KelMar

« Reply #90 on: January 27, 2015, 06:56:57 PM »

Just pretend to be Ringo and you'll be ok!!! ;yes ;D ;D ;)

Not only do you get to play you get to do some acting too! And all you gotta do is act naturally. ;) I saw my first Beatles tribute band last summer and it really was a blast. Even my husband, who is only a lukewarm Beatles fan (I know...GASP!) had a great time. Of course I explained some of the finer points to him later like the "just rattle your jewelry" line. LOL Like Todd said, I'm looking forward to some videos so don't be a stranger!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Page created in 0.531 seconds with 56 queries.