Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: What was Ringo's best drumming  (Read 42282 times)

nimrod

What was Ringo's best drumming
« on: May 23, 2011, 12:04:05 PM »

on a Beatle song ?

Im going for Rain (but Im no expert)  ;)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: What was Ringo's best drumming
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 12:33:51 PM »

I Feel Fine. I've said it a million times, but i've yet to see anybody ever play it correctly. He adds these trills to the toms and ride cymbal off and on throughout the song thats just brutal. Without adding those, anybody can play it, but it wont be right. Its the little things.

She Said She Said is a rough one too.

Rain gets more credit than it deserves in my opinion. Ringo said it was his best song, so everybody tends to agree with him without truly looking at why. It was one of the first Beatle songs that I ever learned properly and nots hard at all.

AppleScruffy96

• Getting Better
  • Love is old Love is new Love is all Love is you <3
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 01:19:26 PM »

I'm no expert either but I've always loved She Said She Said, Rain and I Feel Fine as well. I tend to listen to the drumming a bit more on those songs.  ;yes
Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky.

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 01:10:55 PM »

I Feel Fine. I've said it a million times, but i've yet to see anybody ever play it correctly. He adds these trills to the toms and ride cymbal off and on throughout the song thats just brutal. Without adding those, anybody can play it, but it wont be right. Its the little things.

She Said She Said is a rough one too.

Rain gets more credit than it deserves in my opinion. Ringo said it was his best song, so everybody tends to agree with him without truly looking at why. It was one of the first Beatle songs that I ever learned properly and nots hard at all.
rain was recorded a lot quicker than it's release though,the drumming track was slowed down,this is why ringo likes it so much probably.i agree with 'i feel fine' and 'she said,she said'.i would also add 'old brown shoe',and 'act naturally'.there are more.....
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 03:05:57 PM »

Im going for Rain

I agree.  And he played the entire piece...in his mind.

The Beatles Rain (2009 Stereo Remaster) (Original Promotional Video)

I can stay till it's time to go

KelMar

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 06:50:50 PM »

^^^
Niar

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 12:28:51 AM »

rain was recorded a lot quicker than it's release though,the drumming track was slowed down,this is why ringo likes it so much probably.i agree with 'i feel fine' and 'she said,she said'.i would also add 'old brown shoe',and 'act naturally'.there are more.....

'Act Naturally' for sure. Damn song beats me down everytime. 'Old Brown Shoe' isnt bad. The only tuff part for me is the '1E&2E&3E&4E&' before the break and after where he plays it on the snare and hats at the same time. (Each hand does the same thing basically). Sometimes it gets loose on me during that part.

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 07:51:06 AM »

there is also 'help!' which is a hard one to replicate,ringo plays it so smoothly.the matched rolls in 'i want to hold your hand' and one that seldom gets a mention is 'tell me why' which is a real gem.'get back' is a tuffee to play as smooth as ringo.the man was so on the money.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 08:18:22 AM »

'Tell Me Why' is an easy and fun one to play, but I hate the song. 'Cant Buy Me Love' has a rough shuffle in it also.

nimrod

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 11:14:11 AM »

thanks for the insights tkitna, Ive never chatted to a drummer before about Ringo, the only time I mentioned him to a drummer we had in our band once he said, 'you must understand, Ringo Starr cannot play drums' I changed the subject  ha2ha

maybe we should all do a youtube of ourselves playing a Beatle track  :D

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 12:50:17 PM »

I've always thought A Day In The Life has some cool drumming in it. Not particularly difficult to do, but I bet it's totally unlike what any other drummer would have done on that song.

I love the clips of the Beatles in the Beatlemania years when you see Ringo bashing away so hard that the kit is shaking about all over the place! He must have been having to hit the drums really hard to try to get himself heard above the racket from the crowd!
I think it was having a great solid drummer like that behind them that allowed the other three to shine a bit more.

Also, he always did stuff that was appropriate for the songs, never trying to be too flashy.

And he was adaptable - happy to try out different percussion if drums weren't needed on a song or add in something different like the Latin rhythm in I Feel Fine.

He wasn't/isn't the world's greatest drummer by any stretch of the imagination, but he was perfect for the Beatles.

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 01:00:13 PM »

'Tell Me Why' is an easy and fun one to play, but I hate the song. 'Cant Buy Me Love' has a rough shuffle in it also.
can you do the matched roll todd at the '...i'm so in love with you' part?i think this is ringos' most intricate and difficult fill.if you can match that you are a seriously tasty player.same as the part in 'ticket to ride' that sounds like a machine gun a couple of bars before the middle 8.same as the fill in 'help!'...i've opened up the doors'.ringo plays the fill in'tell me why' so much quicker and so,so smooth it is scary for a drummer to listen to.how anybody can put ringo starrs' playing down is beyond me.it's normally the people who have never held a pair of sticks.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 09:46:56 PM »

can you do the matched roll todd at the '...i'm so in love with you' part?i think this is ringos' most intricate and difficult fill.

I think I can, but to be honest its been so long since i've played it, I better try it again before I make a fool out of myself. I dont ever remember ever having too much trouble with it, but maybe i'm not doing it right. I seriously will check it out, but I have tons of church music to practice for the next few days. I'll have to get back to you.

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 10:46:13 PM »

I so agree with you Todd, I have always felt the drumming in 'I Feel Fine' is awesome.

I like the fills in 'Boys' as well. Not complicated, per se, but just good rock 'n' roll.
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

nimrod

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 01:02:04 PM »

a drummer I always thought was great was Jon Hiseman (John Mayall, Colloseum & Tempest)

here they are doing Paperback Writer

PAPERBACK WRITER / Tempest (Audio) (The video's owner prevents external embedding)

and Jon doing a bit of a solo..

Jon Hiseman at Planet Drum 2011
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 01:11:08 PM by nimrod »

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2011, 07:00:04 PM »

I so agree with you Todd, I have always felt the drumming in 'I Feel Fine' is awesome.

I like the fills in 'Boys' as well. Not complicated, per se, but just good rock 'n' roll.

I like 'Boys' too. Fun song.

As for 'I Feel Fine', I thought I was hung up on the song for the longest time and maybe I was making more out of it than there really was until my buddy asked me what tunes from the Beatles his band should play (studly band too with awesome musicians) and I mentioned it. He said no because every drummer he's played with said they couldnt play it right (I know these drummers too and they are really awesome drummers). I just put my arms down and said thank you. I always thought it was me.

Am I right or wrong when I thinking that the middle part of 'The Night Before' is the same beat as 'I Feel Fine'? I think Ringo had that beat down and used it there or vice versa.

Well, practice was cancelled so i'm going to give 'Tell Me Why' a shot and see what happens.

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2011, 07:32:28 PM »

I think Rolo Sandoval of 'The Fab Four' plays it correctly. What do you think Todd? (Uh oh, I hope I don't sound like someone else.)

The Fab Four "I Feel Fine" @ The Grove of Anaheim 12-31-09

The Fab Four - I Feel Fine (The video's owner prevents external embedding)
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

nimrod

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2011, 11:18:25 PM »

wow that guy doing Paul has it spot on, leftie as well  :o

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2011, 12:52:06 AM »

Darn Gary, I need to listen to that at home. The soundcard here at work stinks. Will definately do so tomorrow and get back to you.

Played 'Tell Me Why' yesterday and didnt have too much trouble. I dont know. It just doesnt seem too bad to me. The shuffle gave me the most trouble (and its an easy one) because I had a left hand full of suck for some reason (I play open handed). I think i've been playing too much worship music and using the KISS concept (keep it simple stupid). I need to start playing to albums again. Its been awhile.

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2011, 08:55:04 AM »

Darn Gary, I need to listen to that at home. The soundcard here at work stinks. Will definately do so tomorrow and get back to you.

Played 'Tell Me Why' yesterday and didnt have too much trouble. I dont know. It just doesnt seem too bad to me. The shuffle gave me the most trouble (and its an easy one) because I had a left hand full of suck for some reason (I play open handed). I think i've been playing too much worship music and using the KISS concept (keep it simple stupid). I need to start playing to albums again. Its been awhile.
ah,perhaps it's me that has the trouble with the big fill.to be played properly it is a real monster.the shuffle isn't hard,i'll give you that one.just the fill,left and right hand perfectly matched,left on snare,right on tom,2 bars of dah-dah-dah-dah-man,that is a killer.at the tempo that ringo plays it,i cannot play it.period. :'(
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Page created in 0.459 seconds with 81 queries.