Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: President And First Lady To Host Concert Honoring Paul McCartney In The East Roo  (Read 4724 times)

I am the Paulrus

• Getting Better
    • FAB 4 FORUM

President And First Lady To Host Concert Honoring Paul McCartney In The East Room of The White House

May 24, 2010

http://www.paulmccartney.com/news.php#/1947/2010-05

On Wednesday, June 2nd, the President and First Lady will host a concert in the East Room honoring Paul McCartney, who will be awarded the 3rd Gershwin Prize for Popular Song from the Library of Congress. President Obama will present the award as he did last year when the Library of Congress honored Stevie Wonder. The concert will be broadcast on PBS stations nationwide on Wednesday, July 28, 2010 at 8:00 PM EDT (check local listings) as “In Performance at the White House Celebrating the Music of Paul McCartney: The Library of Congress Gershwin Prize.”

The prize commemorates George and Ira Gershwin, the legendary American songwriting team whose extensive manuscript collections reside in the Library of Congress. The prize is awarded to musicians whose lifetime contributions in the field of popular song exemplify the standard of excellence associated with the Gershwins.

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me

Wow. Congrats, Paul!

Mustang_Ed

• One And One Is Two

I was so disappointed to hear Paul McCartney's political remarks at this event. 

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?

What were they?

Bobber

President Obama Honors Paul McCartney

Brynjar

• Getting Better
They were the most brilliant, powerful, lovable, popular group on the planet. - Q, 1995.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot

Paul honored with Gershwin Award, but what about John?

1. He's dead.
2. His body of work is miniscule compared to Wonder, Simon and McCArtney. This is a lifetime achievement award.
3. The bulk of his post Beatle Work is rubbish and didn't sell well. This award is for contributions to popular music, which for Lennon pretty much dried up post 66.
don't follow leaders

Kevin

• That Means a Lot

I take back the rubbish thing. But his chart positions indicate it wasn't too "popular" at the time. Let's face it, if it wasn't for his Beatle days and DMC  Lennon would probably be remembered by the masses as a one hit wonder and the bloke who wrote that christmas song.
don't follow leaders

The_Taxman

• One And One Is Two

He'd be known as "that one guy who wrote Imagine"

tkitna

• That Means a Lot

1. He's dead.
2. His body of work is miniscule compared to Wonder, Simon and McCArtney. This is a lifetime achievement award.
3. The bulk of his post Beatle Work is rubbish and didn't sell well. This award is for contributions to popular music, which for Lennon pretty much dried up post 66.

Well said Kevin.

Brynjar

• Getting Better

I take back the rubbish thing. But his chart positions indicate it wasn't too "popular" at the time. Let's face it, if it wasn't for his Beatle days and DMC  Lennon would probably be remembered by the masses as a one hit wonder and the bloke who wrote that christmas song.

Yeah surely he would not be remembered for classics like Jealous Guy, Woman, Instant Karma!, (Just Like) Starting Over ...

They were the most brilliant, powerful, lovable, popular group on the planet. - Q, 1995.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot

'Jealous Guy' gets no air play or acclaim. Take a group of 10 people and you'd be lucky if even 1 knew the song at all. 'Woman' is awful and benefitted from being released after his death. '(Just Like) Starting Over' didnt reach any higher than #21 until two weeks after his death. That song wasnt really highly recieved. 'Instant Karma' is a good tune that I like, but I dont know how successful it was off the top of my head.

Brynjar

• Getting Better

'Jealous Guy' gets no air play or acclaim. Take a group of 10 people and you'd be lucky if even 1 knew the song at all.

That´s nonsense.

Are we talking about the same song here?! Jealous Guy is one of his best known and acclaimed song from his solo period. There is no coincidence that many musicians have covered this song. And to say that I´d be lucky to find 1 people out of 10 to regonise it is totally wrong!  

And the fact that you find Woman awful, well, I can assure you that you are in a group of very people there. But that of course is your opinion.

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector

Me too. He is in the news today too. I disagree with the things he is saying.
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

Mustang_Ed

• One And One Is Two

Me too. He is in the news today too. I disagree with the things he is saying.

Paul McCartney's mocking comments about President Bush not reading were inappropriate for the venue.  Paul was being honored with an award.  This was a celebration, a time for fun and good will!

It reminded me of something similar that all of us do on occasion and can relate to.  We are given a Farewell Going Away party at our place of employment.  Often, at the end of the party, we're asked to say a few words in parting.  I'm sure we all have had our disappointments at work.  Or someone has been unkind to you.  Or maybe you feel you've been treated unfairly.  These things happen to just about everybody.  This is not the time to get even with someone by putting them down or being critical.  You're friends and fellow co-workers don't want to hear that kind of thing.  They are there to say good-bye, wish you well, and perhaps meet your wife or husband.  Smile and wish everyone your best.  Thank everyone for chipping in to buy you a going away gift (in my case it was a GPS for traveling in our car).  Show them what a classy guy or gal you are.  Now if you're really steamed about experiences on your job, go down to your local pub with your very best friends afterward, put a coin in the jukebox, and play "Take This Job and Shove It" by Johnny Paycheck.  Have a good laugh.  There's a proper place and time for everything.

dylanjohn

• A Beginning

Got to respect Paul for loving Obama.  He's a fan. 

His music has always been about peace, love, and acceptance.  
He's a liberal.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 01:12:41 AM by dylanjohn »

Page created in 0.622 seconds with 82 queries.