Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Books you would recommend?  (Read 16100 times)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Books you would recommend?
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2012, 12:30:14 AM »

Always enjoyed reading Cynthia's book Twist of Lennon. Very nicely written and drawn :)

She's got class.  I've always admired her.
I can stay till it's time to go
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Sir John Johns

• A Beginning

Nada Surf

• A Beginning
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2012, 02:32:48 AM »

Hey Sir John....have you read those three books you posted?
Any good?

Nada Surf

• A Beginning
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2012, 02:34:31 AM »

The Beatles:  The Authorized Biography by Hunter Davies (1968) is the starting point of a Beatles library.

All good books and easily found at:  http://www.alibris.com/
I would think this one wouldn't stand up to the test of time...Even Lennon ripped this book because his Aunt Mimi edited out all the good/bad parts. Isn't this the one?

Sir John Johns

• A Beginning
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2012, 02:51:37 AM »

Yes I have - Pete Best book is told from his perspective, it's pretty slim (192 pages) - I would take anything he says with a pinch of salt, but it is good to read about the Hamburg days from someone who was in the trenches (so to speak)

The Kevin Howlett book is more of a factual diary type deal, there are some photos from sessions, as well as reproductions interdepartmental letters, pages from Radio Times. It also lists any non-music stuff the band did with the BBC (Kenny Everett, David Wigg)

Sean Egan book is good from a perspective of bringing together old articles published on the band by newspapers of the time.

Hey Sir John....have you read those three books you posted?
Any good?

Sir John Johns

• A Beginning
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2012, 02:57:12 AM »

This is a pretty good jumping off point.

KelMar

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2012, 04:08:21 AM »

The Kevin Howlett book is more of a factual diary type deal, there are some photos from sessions, as well as reproductions interdepartmental letters, pages from Radio Times. It also lists any non-music stuff the band did with the BBC (Kenny Everett, David Wigg)

I'm glad you mentioned this book. I've been wondering if such a book existed.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2012, 04:32:12 AM »

I would think this one wouldn't stand up to the test of time...Even Lennon ripped this book because his Aunt Mimi edited out all the good/bad parts. Isn't this the one?

I said that it makes a good starting point.  The fact that it's still published today speaks for itself.

KelMar

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2012, 04:37:32 AM »

I said that it makes a good starting point.  The fact that it's still published today speaks for itself.

I really enjoyed reading Hunter Davies' book. I had a lot going on at the time and took it with me to read while waiting at appointments and it amazed me how many total strangers asked me what I was reading. Of course I was happy to tell them.  :)

Nada Surf

• A Beginning
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2012, 05:16:06 AM »

Would it be worth it for me to read Davies' book even though I've read Bramwell's, Spitz's, Norman's, and the Anthology and probably others? I'm always hearing good things on it, but Lennon kinda ripped it.

KelMar

« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2012, 05:25:34 AM »

Would it be worth it for me to read Davies' book even though I've read Bramwell's, Spitz's, Norman's, and the Anthology and probably others? I'm always hearing good things on it, but Lennon kinda ripped it.

Yeah, I think it would definitely be worth your while. This was the authorized bio and even if John had issues with it Davies spent probably more time with the band than any other author. I haven't read everything there is to read on The Beatles but I think that the footnotes in many subsequent books would show a heavy reliance of Davies' work. Like someone else, I think Nimrod said, there's no way to know for sure if the real story ever gets told but this was the band's golden opportunity to tell what they wanted told. And of course, we all know how John could be so don't let him stop you.  ;D

Nada Surf

• A Beginning
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2012, 05:37:15 AM »

I'm not much of a fan of authorized biographies...The book often comes out as an infomercial...
Does Davies go all the way back to the Quarry Men days?
If he wrote this in 1968, he certainly picked an interesting time to talk to them as they were starting to hate each other right about then.

KelMar

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2012, 05:45:31 AM »

I'm not much of a fan of authorized biographies...The book often comes out as an infomercial...
If he wrote this in 1968, he certainly picked an interesting time to talk to them as they were starting to hate each other right about then.

He does go back to the very beginning.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2012, 05:47:43 AM »

...Even Lennon ripped this book because his Aunt Mimi edited out all the good/bad parts. Isn't this the one?

Hunter Davies explains what happened in this 2002 interview:  http://www.music.indiana.edu/som/courses/rock/davies.html

It's not that at all.

Yes, he does.  He goes back to the childhood days of each of them individually.

KelMar

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2012, 06:15:55 AM »

Hunter Davies explains what happened in this 2002 interview:  http://www.music.indiana.edu/som/courses/rock/davies.html

I am impressed by Davies' humility.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2012, 04:46:12 PM »

Right.  He spent eighteen months with The Beatles, Pete Best, their families and friends in the 1967-8 period.

I have the first edition published in 1968.  I understand updated editions have new material on The Beatles' solo careers and lives.

Nada Surf

• A Beginning
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2012, 05:31:22 PM »

Thanks for the tips, guys..I'll order it today!
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.741 seconds with 66 queries.