Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The Beatles' Apple Corps. Sued Over Use of Shea Stadium Footage  (Read 9789 times)

Kagome

• A Beginning
  • Recording Engineer Toshiba EMI & Capitol EMI
The Beatles' Apple Corps. Sued Over Use of Shea Stadium Footage
« on: September 15, 2016, 02:30:42 AM »

Billboard magazine Reported  on Sept  13 th 2013  that  A lawsuit was filed against Apple Corps  &  Subafilms Ltd & The Beatles  On Sept 12th 2016 by Sid Bernstein Presents, LLC – a company representing the late businessman who promoted the group's 1965 concert at New York's Shea Stadium claiming that  The Beatles are infringing  on the promoter copyright. The suit asks for an injunction preventing the remastered footage from being shown  distributed and reproduced They also Claim that some footage was used in the Beatles Anthology  Documentary is also in was in copyright Infringement. The article also state there was agreement in 1965 between Beatles manager Brian Epstein. and the promoters  The article states a Lawyer for the plaintiff will be issuing a statment on Weds 14 th  If I see the statement I will post it as soon as i can.

Source
Billboard magazine

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7510248/beatles-lawsuit-shea-stadium-footage   

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: The Beatles' Apple Corps. Sued Over Use of Shea Stadium Footage
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 04:07:28 AM »

It's interesting that there was never an issue over this while Sid Bernstein was alive.  Lawyers have descended on this like vultures on carrion just as the film is scheduled to reach theaters.  And they're claiming an "infringement" that occurred over twenty years ago with the airing and release of Anthology.  What next?!

The Beatles re-recorded most of the Shea concert in the studio as the sound recording was poor.  I wonder if the lawyers even know about that.

I'm curious to see how this plays out but I have no doubt that the plaintiff attorneys have no case here.
I can stay till it's time to go

Kagome

• A Beginning
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 09:22:25 AM »

It seem they smell money and they wanted in on this I am wondering why they are  not going after Ron Howard and the movie Studio? The Beatles put all the time and money work to restoring it and now they want it back? Like Hello Goodbye said  it been over 20 yrs they could have done something then to secure the rights of the master tapes If the Beatles was infringing on their copyrighted  master tapes when they used it on Anthology  They should have taken care of it then not 20 years later on. Everyone knew that this footage was gong to be used and seen months ago they could have stopped it then

We don`t what agreements that Brain Epstein and the promoter had in  1965  they are both dead. Unless something in writhing exist they (The Beatles or  Sid Bernstein Presents )  had between them  I don`t think the Promoter reps  has a leg to stand on. This  footage has been shown on TV and the net for years  I think the Beatles took the time and money to restore it They should have legal clam and rights to the footage

I hate to see The Beatles  lose the case and end up buying the copyrights back. I don`t want everyone going to movies and waiting to see the 30 min concert and it get pulled due too the lawsuit I hope it works out for the group and the fans

It like they say in the Biz you cant buy this kind of promotion for a film     

The word for this GREED!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 11:02:23 PM »

Here's the original recording of the Shea Stadium concert 15 August 1965...

http://youtu.be/kKQmEb7_eyo

I actually prefer listening to this rather than to what they re-recorded in the studio.  This is how it sounded that night.

Y'all better listen to this quick and download it if you can before them there lawyers find this.    ;)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 11:07:27 PM »

A sample of the re-recorded concert...

http://youtu.be/M6DfG7sml-Q

Kagome

• A Beginning
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 03:12:16 AM »

The restored version sounds  good after the re-master the sound  I like the old recording too Your right you better down load it  not only the lawyers might find the Beatles and the their label  find it  I am Dl now I am also dl the new clip too I seen Sir Paul in concert at a ballpark in St Louis the sound was so great it shook the concrete steps alway to top i had seats in the front row I was listening to the Hollywood tapes I like to see them to be remastered  I dont know of any update about the case yet  the movie was great by the way

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 03:35:20 AM »

Thanks for the update, Kagome.  I'm not going to be able to see Eight Days A Week in the theater but I'll watch it on Hulu when it's released there.

I saw Sir Paul at MetLife Stadium last month.  The sound was great and we also felt the stadium shake...

http://youtu.be/XjRopyf7wWU

We even felt the heat from the flamethrowers during Live And Let Die...

http://youtu.be/sx8nYqmcvhY?list=PL_zmZB65UA-8KJ8YUsIeyHz2dcJjVSnMw

What a show!!

Kagome

• A Beginning
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 03:58:42 AM »

Cool I am  glad you  could have went  the night I went he recalled the Beatles playing there in 66  it was a cold rainy foggy night  I did meet Sir Paul at Abbey Road a few years ago when I was working there i had tea with him and chatted nice funny guy  You will love the movie  cheer1 your welcome

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 05:04:52 AM »

Lucky you to have seen Sir Paul in concert too and to have met him in person!

I took my kid sister to see A Hard Day's Night twice in 1964.  I took her to the concert last month for her birthday.  That's her yelling "OKAY" and "YES" when Paul asked the audience to sing when he would indicate in the Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da video.  She acted the same way at the concert as she did in the movie theater.  But everyone in the stadium was acting that way, really.  :)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 06:32:25 PM »

Watch the Shea Concert on vimeo:  https://vimeo.com/113130502

Download it before the lawyers find out it's there.  ;)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 10:10:18 PM »

Now, ladies and gentlemen, honored by their country, decorated by their Queen, loved here in America, here are The Beatles!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2016, 11:39:24 PM »

A change in plans...I'll not be watching the movie on Hulu.  I pre-ordered it on Amazon.  I can wait till November.  I didn't want to do the Hulu free-trial thing.  But I'm looking forward to reviews from those members here who see it during its initial release.

I have an old bootleg DVD of the 1965 Shea concert.  I'm happy with that.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2016, 05:29:15 AM »

https://vimeo.com/113130502

And that's the way it was, Sunday August 15, 1965

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2016, 06:28:00 PM »

'Apple' can be Apple after...erm...'Apple.'

George can get sued over the debatable copying of 'He's So Fine' for 'My Sweet Lord," and yet the absolute/no question/who could possibly doubt it? carbon-copy of 'Taxman'/'Start' (The Jam) is apparently alright!

Incredible really.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator

Page created in 0.528 seconds with 62 queries.