Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Shea Stadium Lip Synced  (Read 8955 times)

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
Re: Shea Stadium Lip Synced
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2005, 04:42:21 AM »

How strange. I mean, you could never tell. I love the Shea performance. It's so unique. I need to get the whole thing though. I only have what's one Anthology. You could become very poor trying to buy everything Beatles related you know.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2005, 01:49:27 AM »

the lipped it on quite a few different shows....john hated it,thats why he cut up on purpose so you could tell.it made paul giggle alot....but it was good fun...

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2005, 01:48:20 PM »

With those tiny Vox amps trying to penetrate with all the screaming, they couldn't hear anything. They didn't have monitors back then. They just got fed up, they were on stage for about 26 minutes and probably figured it was an exercise in futility after awhile. The only times they really got to hear anything is when they were in Japan where the audience was (or had to be) subdued during the songs.

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2005, 04:12:55 PM »

Quote from: pc31
the lipped it on quite a few different shows....john hated it,thats why he cut up on purpose so you could tell.it made paul giggle alot....but it was good fun...

Yeah, that had to mime most of their TV performances back in those days (same today with most bands) - it's weird watching Ringo pretending to hit his drums! As far as I'm aware they never mimed at their concerts though.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2005, 04:35:40 AM »

no way the public would allow it.....

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2006, 12:24:24 AM »

"This page is dedicated to a main event in the Beatles' history: the concert that they performed at the Shea Stadium, in August 1965, which probably remains the greatest and the craziest live moment of their career.

(adapted from the chronicles and diaries by Mark Lewisohn and Barry Miles)"

---------------

"Just as it would be naive to believe that the sound on live-concert rock music albums is ever truly live and undoctored, so the same is true for live-concert films. In the case of the Beatles' momentous 15 August 1965 Shea Stadium concert, the audio tapes specifically revealed not only musical flaws on the Beatles' part but also technical imperfections caused by the sheer size of the venue, the high-decibel screaming and the less than state-of-the-art mobile recording equipment around in 1965. To have screened unaltered such a high-profile film on peak-time television would have done the group a disservice.?
So it was that, amid some secrecy, the Beatles came to CTS Studios in central London on 5 January 1966, to "sweeten" the soundtrack, by whatever means necessary, of their in-production television film The Beatles At Shea Stadium.?

The session began with Paul only, overdubbing new bass tracks onto Dizzy Miss Lizzy, Can't Buy Me Love, Baby's In Black and I'm Down. Onto this latter song John also overdubbed a new organ track.?

More drastic repair work was then effected by the group as a whole, with entirely new recordings completed for two songs: I Feel Fine (done at George Martin's specific request) and Help! The Beatles strove to re-create a live-concert sound with these recordings rather than their more typical EMI studio feel, and they also had to match carefully their singing and playing with the on-screen images, hence the use of CTS, the premier audio-to-film dubbing studio in London. (CTS is an abbreviation for Cine Tele Sound.)?To fix Act Naturally the Beatles did nothing: the film's post-production team merely replaced the Shea recording with the Beatles' disc version (recorded 17 June 1965), sync-ing it to the picture by means of audience cutaways and even, in places, cuts in the music. (Intentionally or otherwise, one moment - where Ringo's vocal is evident but his mouth is closed - was left in the film uncorrected.)??

Documentation also suggests that John wished to record a new version of Ticket To Ride, and that it was done during this CTS session, but close study of the film indicates that the original Shea version was used (although perhaps a little instrumental overdubbing was effected).?

Additionally, George Martin desired a new recording of Twist And Shout, but there wasn't time to do this. Instead, the post-production team used the unreleased 30 August 1965 Hollywood Bowl concert recording to bolster the sound, causing - in one place - John's live vocal to be double - tracked. In fact, the Bowl recording was used extensively during the film's post-production processes for recordings of the screaming audience, especially on the two all-new London recordings.?

No doctoring appears to have been done to either She's A Woman or Everybody's Trying To Be Baby, suggesting that, by this time, they had already been excluded from the film. They were, however, included in an early print which Epstein received from Sullivan Productions around 5 November 1965, which then ran to 54 minutes. By January, as it would be for the transmission, the film's duration had been cut to just under 48 minutes.?"

-------------------

More info and pics here:
http://www.beatlemania.ca/toursworld/Shea.htm

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2006, 05:14:01 PM »

It's been awhile since I read that article.  Thank you for posting it, raxo.  For technology existent at the time, they did a great job.
I can stay till it's time to go

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2006, 10:39:05 PM »

I have to say that I never would have known about the lip-syncing at the Shea show. Seen it a million times, and it's usually easy to tell, even if it's a subtle slip, but they did an incredible job.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2006, 03:07:24 AM »

Is this really true or is it just some theory? I mean, has it been confirmed by any of the Beatles or anything? Just wondering.

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2006, 11:12:53 AM »

Yes it's true - it was kept very quiet at the time but it is confirmed in Mark Lewisohn's books - Sessions and Chronicle.

I always had my suspicions because Act Naturally is so obviously the studio version.

« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2006, 01:29:45 AM »

But the thing is is that when you're watching it, with the warm-up bands and Ed Sullivan, it just has a flow. When you are looking at it from a lip-sync point of view, you will notice whatever. I always thought the choppiness was from the primitive technology they had. Still a great video.

JimColyer

• A Beginning
  • I wrote Save The Planet.
    • Jim Colyer
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2006, 12:41:46 AM »

Concerts in those days were very different from modern day concerts.

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2006, 11:53:11 AM »

Good little thread this - I can see why the Googlebot was so interested in it! :)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2021, 09:16:34 PM »

"Just as it would be naive to believe that the sound on live-concert rock music albums is ever truly live and undoctored, so the same is true for live-concert films. In the case of the Beatles' momentous 15 August 1965 Shea Stadium concert, the audio tapes specifically revealed not only musical flaws on the Beatles' part but also technical imperfections caused by the sheer size of the venue, the high-decibel screaming and the less than state-of-the-art mobile recording equipment around in 1965. To have screened unaltered such a high-profile film on peak-time television would have done the group a disservice.?

Right.  It sounded like this live...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBRZc7NPpkM" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBRZc7NPpkM</a>
I can stay till it's time to go
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.458 seconds with 64 queries.