Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Give Ireland Back To The Irish!  (Read 11988 times)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Give Ireland Back To The Irish!
« on: March 25, 2004, 06:41:04 PM »

I'm stuck on "Wildlife" for the moment (although I just got All Things Must Pass again, so it shares some airtime), I definately think this is the best tune off of the album. Anyone else dig it.

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
Re: Give Ireland Back To The Irish!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 07:17:59 PM »

Paul's "Ireland" single wasn't actually on the original Wildlife LP, it's a bonus on the re-issued CD I think (is that right?) - Wildlife was quite a poor debut for Wings really (in my opinion anyway!).

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2004, 12:52:53 AM »

it was released as a 45.probally cause paul didn't want the whole album banned.
america tends to ban political agendaized songs and drug related too.hi hi hi got the same treatment.tell me if i am wrong....

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2004, 01:01:59 AM »

McCartney was being reviled from all sides as a result of his early solo stuff, and Wings' first effort really dragged him down. It has been proposed that Ireland was an attempt to be hip, and show everyone that he had the "proper" opinion about the English/Irish thing.

I don't think the song was even written at the time of Wild Life's release.

The BBC duly banned it in Britain from any airplay. However, Macca's credibility stayed very low. And his next single, Mary Had A Little Lamb, sunk it even lower. Some think he's never recovered!

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2004, 03:07:38 AM »

I'm pretty sure its a bonus track as well, but i've never heard the song until I got the CD about a year ago. Actually, I can listen to pretty much any solo stuff that the boys put out, but yes,,,this was a poor effort over all. Regardless, I think that the song rocks pretty good for some reason.

I'm also pretty sure that Paul recovered from this album over time.  ;)

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2004, 01:12:19 PM »

[quote by=tkitna link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1080240064,s=4 date=1080270458]I'm also pretty sure that Paul recovered from this album over time.

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2004, 07:34:58 PM »

Don't forget the mighty bad Red Rose Speedway was next after Wild Life.

Band On The Run is not so much a recovery, but an indication that there was something still there. But BOTR has some clangers:

Jet (some call it a rocker, but it's not. Silly lyrics)
Mrs Vanderbilt (what's that about)
Picasso (lordy, lordy - hope Dustin Hoffman was impressed; no one else is!)
Bluebird (praised by many, but really very bland)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2004, 08:16:17 PM »

[quote by=Maria link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1080240064,s=6 date=1080329698]Don't forget the mighty bad Red Rose Speedway was next after Wild Life.

Band On The Run is not so much a recovery, but an indication that there was something still there. But BOTR has some clangers:
[/quote]

I wont be forgetting Red Rose Speedway anytime soon because I love that record. "Mighty Bad" is just your opinion. As for Band on the Run having some clangers,,,,we're nit picking now. Every album has some dead weight of some kind in my opinion.

So our assumption here is that there are some people out there that weighs Pauls solo career off of "Wild Life"? Come on!

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2004, 09:59:43 PM »

Yes, "mighty bad" is just my opinion. That's what a forum like this is about. People giving their opinions.

And yes, many people think that Paul's solo career has never recovered from the depths of the early seventies. An occasional fair song, yes. But nothing remotely like the heights to which he soared with the Beatles.

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2004, 02:24:14 AM »

[quote by=Maria link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1080240064,s=6 date=1080329698]Don't forget the mighty bad Red Rose Speedway was next after Wild Life.

Band On The Run is not so much a recovery, but an indication that there was something still there.[/quote]

I happen to think that Red Rose Speedway was a BIG step in the right direction, and Band On The Run was Paul returning to greatness!

A re-examination of some of the tracks:
Jet - A Stonking Great rock song - HEAR IT LIVE and tell me it isn't!
Mrs Vanderbilt -

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2004, 03:39:32 AM »

[quote by=Maria link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1080240064,s=8 date=1080338383]Yes, "mighty bad" is just my opinion. That's what a forum like this is about. People giving their opinions.

And yes, many people think that Paul's solo career has never recovered from the depths of the early seventies. An occasional fair song, yes. But nothing remotely like the heights to which he soared with the Beatles.[/quote]

Yes, its all about opinion, but your first statement was the following-
"Don't forget the mighty bad Red Rose Speedway was next after Wild Life."
There was nothing in that statement that indicated it was just your opinion.

Never recovered from the depths of the early 70's,,,,,,,(9 #1 songs and 7 #1 albums which included RRS). I think he recovered.

But nothing like the heights to which he soared with the Beatles,,,,,Well no sh!t. Thank God the other three's solo career was so much better than their Beatles stuff. What and why would somebody measure that? Its impossible!

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2004, 04:14:56 AM »

Calm down!

Your stuff with my reply in bold:
Yes, its all about opinion, but your first statement was the following-
"Don't forget the mighty bad Red Rose Speedway was next after Wild Life."
There was nothing in that statement that indicated it was just your opinion.What else would it be? Do you really want everyone to say "I think ..." or "My opinion is..." every time? You don't below!

Never recovered from the depths of the early 70's,,,,,,,(9 #1 songs and 7 #1 albums which included RRS). I think he recovered.I didn't say he didn't sell a lot of records. I was commenting about the quality of them.

But nothing like the heights to which he soared with the Beatles,,,,,Well no sh!t. Thank God the other three's solo career was so much better than their Beatles stuff. What and why would somebody measure that? Its impossible! This is what I was referring to above. We all say things like this, and it is OBVIOUS it's an opinion.

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2004, 04:20:50 AM »

[quote by=tkitna link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1080240064,s=10 date=1080358772]
But nothing like the heights to which he soared with the Beatles,,,,,Well no sh!t. Thank God the other three's solo career was so much better than their Beatles stuff.[/quote]

Interesting, that. I would say that Paul dropped furthest in standards in his solo career.

John dropped a bit after the John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band album. His comeback stuff in 1980 was disappointing, so maybe he was on the way to mediocrity, too.

George lifted the most. History may judge George Harrison's solo work, with all its strengths and weaknesses, as the most interesting.

Ringo ... is Ringo.

Ssarah

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2004, 04:28:33 AM »

Ringo is the best.
Beatle Ssarah on the forum,
Everyday she posts some more on.
Sometimes triv and sometimes questions,
Chooses tracks and lists the best uns!

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2004, 09:59:02 AM »

Uh

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2004, 10:34:57 AM »

Ok, i'm extending the olive branch,,,,although I did say that I THINK he recovered,,,,,hence opinion.

Just joking.  :)

Cheers! (beer)

Wayne L.

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2004, 10:44:38 AM »

Give Ireland Back To The Irish is one of Paul's most political songs as well as being one of his great rockers which is highly underrated for some reason even though he should play it live especially on his possible upcoming final tour.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2004, 12:23:34 PM »

ringo is the most socialbe and busiest beatle.
he was the favorite beatle for more than one country and recieved more fan mail than any of them.when asked why he got more fan mail he replied that he guessed more people wrote to him.
its more about music with ringo.paul is more coin operated.
i would go see ringo live b4 paul.and i would probally visit sarah b4 i visited maria....

Ssarah

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2004, 05:37:45 PM »

You can sleep in my barn! :::give PC a big hug:::

I saw that quote too. I loved it hehe. Besides... drummers are always the hottest. lol.
Beatle Ssarah on the forum,
Everyday she posts some more on.
Sometimes triv and sometimes questions,
Chooses tracks and lists the best uns!

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2004, 09:04:41 PM »

[quote by=tkitna link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1080240064,s=15 date=1080383697]Ok, i'm extending the olive branch,,,,although I did say that I THINK he recovered,,,,,hence opinion.

Just joking.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.275 seconds with 76 queries.