Other music forums > Microscopes

Microscope: Surrealistic Pillow (Jefferson Airplane)

<< < (2/4) > >>

Ovi:
I still need to give the album a few more listens. But I like it so far. Wish Grace would've taken more leads though.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar:

--- Quote from: The 5th Beatle on April 17, 2012, 05:13:36 PM ---I still need to give the album a few more listens. But I like it so far. Wish Grace would've taken more leads though.

--- End quote ---

Yes, Grace Slick only sang lead vocals on two songs (and what two songs!), but she also can be heard as a backing vocalist in most tracks. We have to consider that she was a new member of the band at this point, replacing Signe Anderson. Nevertheless, she never had more than two or three lead vocals on Jefferson Airplane albums, because Marty Balin, Paul Kantner and even guitarist Jorma Kaukonen were songwriters and sang lead vocals in the band as well. But the band is usually associated to her singing because of the hits and her great talent.

It's good to hear that you liked the record, thanks for your comment.

Ovi:

--- Quote from: Hombre_de_ningun_lugar on April 17, 2012, 09:46:40 PM ---Yes, Grace Slick only sang lead vocals on two songs (and what two songs!), but she also can be heard as a backing vocalist in most tracks. We have to consider that she was a new member of the band at this point, replacing Signe Anderson. Nevertheless, she never had more than two or three lead vocals on Jefferson Airplane albums, because Marty Balin, Paul Kantner and even guitarist Jorma Kaukonen were songwriters and sang lead vocals in the band as well. But the band is usually associated to her singing because of the hits and her great talent.

It's good to hear that you liked the record, thanks for your comment.

--- End quote ---

That's good to know. I basically know very little about the band. I was only familiar with those two great songs sung by Grace because of a Woodstock CD I own which, among other artists, includes those performances.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar:

--- Quote from: The 5th Beatle on April 17, 2012, 09:56:22 PM ---That's good to know. I basically know very little about the band. I was only familiar with those two great songs sung by Grace because of a Woodstock CD I own which, among other artists, includes those performances.

--- End quote ---

Those Woodstock performances were the first ones I saw about the band. I began to be interested in Jefferson Airplane from that point. Here's another Woodstock performance that I like:

Jefferson Airplane - Won't You Try-Saturday Afternoon (The video's owner prevents external embedding)

Hello Goodbye:
For many of us, the Woodstock performances were notable for a first look at Hot Tuna formed earlier that year when Grace Slick was recovering from surgery and couldn't perform with the band...

Uncle Sam Blues

Uncle Sam Blues - Jefferson Airplane (Live at Woodstock 69') (The video's owner prevents external embedding)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version