Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: So.... ficticious books about The Beatles?  (Read 5468 times)

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
So.... ficticious books about The Beatles?
« on: July 12, 2005, 10:10:11 PM »

I've heard about some made-up books involving our favorite lads. One I heard of was called "Liverpool Fantasy". Anyone have some info on this or any other fictional Beatles books?
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Bobber

Re: So.... ficticious books about The Beatles?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 08:00:48 AM »

Found this. Haven't read it.

"Liverpool Fantasy" is a blackly comic meditation on the enduring hazards of friendship, the alchemy of collaboration, and what a world without the Beatles--that is, without idealism--looks like.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 03:14:45 PM »

Cooool. Thanks! I heard about it, but I haven't read it either. Must check it out.

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 02:16:31 AM »

"Paperback Writer" is absolutely hilarious. I can't recommend it highly enough. Which reminds me, I need to find my beat up old copy and read it again.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 02:56:01 AM »

Where can I get that? Is it still in print?

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 04:05:36 AM »

Quote from: Mairi
Where can I get that? Is it still in print?

This has been out of print for a looong time. Here it is on Amazon, and read the reviews/remarks. If anyone from the usual group of posters on this site buys this and doesn't laugh their ass off, I'll buy it off of them and give them double their money back.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0441651240/qid=1121313660/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-3833756-2100930?v=glance&s=books

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2005, 11:22:46 AM »

This thread has reminded me of a book I had completely forgotten about!!! When I was a kid, I bought ANYTHING Beatles and happened across a book I had never heard of. But as I started reading it I realised it was all fictional! I have no idea what the book was called (might even have been called Paperback Writer, but I'm not sure!) or who the author was but I do remember a few bits and pieces.

In the foreword, it said something along the lines of the book started out as a serious study, and was based on an interview the author conducted with Ringo - but unfortunately he lost it and ended up making up the whole story!

Another bit I remember was Paul McCartney's first solo LP was an album of cover versions of Frank sinatra songs, and was released in the early 1960's!! There might have been a bit about a huge argument with Del Shannon as well, but I'm not too sure about that!

Unfortunately I no longer have the book - the pictures inside were too HUGE a temptation for my blank wall-space!!!

Anyone recognise that book? I really would like to read it again now!

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 02:40:57 PM »

Quote from: The_End
This thread has reminded me of a book I had completely forgotten about!!! When I was a kid, I bought ANYTHING Beatles and happened across a book I had never heard of. But as I started reading it I realised it was all fictional! I have no idea what the book was called (might even have been called Paperback Writer, but I'm not sure!) or who the author was but I do remember a few bits and pieces.

In the foreword, it said something along the lines of the book started out as a serious study, and was based on an interview the author conducted with Ringo - but unfortunately he lost it and ended up making up the whole story!

Another bit I remember was Paul McCartney's first solo LP was an album of cover versions of Frank sinatra songs, and was released in the early 1960's!! There might have been a bit about a huge argument with Del Shannon as well, but I'm not too sure about that!

Unfortunately I no longer have the book - the pictures inside were too HUGE a temptation for my blank wall-space!!!

Anyone recognise that book? I really would like to read it again now!

Yes, That's "Paperback Writer". It starts off with a picture of the author, Mark Shipper, 'interviewing' Ringo. On his way home, he loses his notes and has to make up the history of the Beatles. Its hilarious, like the Jimmy Nicol album "I can outdrum Pete Best" and its a drum only album of Beatles songs. Or the Butcher album "Meat the Beatles". You've got to read it because I'm not conveying it very well.

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2005, 12:47:16 AM »

haha funny guys...

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2005, 01:19:36 AM »

theres one called The Beatles: Live at 12 cold creek street or something like that. it used to be an online fanfiction but she got it published. i believe the sequel is still online though. It was really really good. I read it, heh. Is that the correct title? Does anyone here know?

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2005, 11:45:19 AM »

Quote from: juniorsfarm

Yes, That's "Paperback Writer". It starts off with a picture of the author, Mark Shipper, 'interviewing' Ringo. On his way home, he loses his notes and has to make up the history of the Beatles. Its hilarious, like the Jimmy Nicol album "I can outdrum Pete Best" and its a drum only album of Beatles songs. Or the Butcher album "Meat the Beatles". You've got to read it because I'm not conveying it very well.

YES THAT'S IT!!! :)

I had completely forgotten about that book till now - I'll have to check around to see if I can blag a copy! Cheers JF :)

scousette

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2005, 07:28:28 PM »

"Liverpool Fantasy" has a great premise, but unfortunately, the story isn't well written.

newty

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2005, 09:48:17 AM »

there is a german book called "john lennon hat mir das rauchen verboten" (john lennon forbade me to smoke)

it was published in the 80's.
it was written by a teenager about her fantasy.
she looses her parents and gets adopted by the fab four.
paul quickly becomes her "lover" (they only kiss)
john is the father figure.

the book apruptly stoppes, the author says that she was turning 16 and getting more and more attracted to john and it was getting a bit too difficult to write on...(she wrote it in the sixties and published it much later)

i got my hands on it when i was 14 and immediately started writing MY masterpiece called anna. it's about john lennon leaving yoko because anna is just so much better than her. hehe.
thankfully i have lost it! haha

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2005, 12:29:50 PM »

Woohoo - I picked up a copy of the book in Liverpool!! Also managed to find replacement copies of my first ever Beatle books - An Illustrated Record by Roy Carr and Tony Tyler and In Their Own Words by Miles. The original copies fell apart when I was a kid and the pictures ended up adorning my wall!!!

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2005, 01:08:50 PM »

^ Ha ha. My Carr/Tyler book suffered exactly the same fate. Man I loved that book.
My first was the Octopus book of The Beatles. Full of stories of american sailors handing out rock and roll records to grateful Scouse urchins and the tales of Saintly peace loving John. Happy days
don't follow leaders

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2005, 03:41:35 PM »

Woohoo - I picked up a copy of the book in Liverpool!! Also managed to find replacement copies of my first ever Beatle books - An Illustrated Record by Roy Carr and Tony Tyler and In Their Own Words by Miles. The original copies fell apart when I was a kid and the pictures ended up adorning my wall!!!

I did the same thing. I got 2 copies of it for Xmas in 1975. My 1980 editions got stolen. I still have a 1978 version that is in great shape. They are really rare, I looked up 'Illustrated Record' the other day and they cost quite a bit.

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2005, 07:30:11 PM »

Blimey - that's a coincidence! :)

The original Illustrated Record I had was the one with the Beatles in their Pepper outfits on the front - that's the one I replaced. I bought a new hard-back copy a few years later - the one with the classic 1963 Dezo Hoffman picture on the dust jacket. I still have that one but it's a total mess now - but I'm tool old to put the pics on my wall now!!!! ;D  

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2005, 08:53:25 PM »

Blimey - that's a coincidence! :)

The original Illustrated Record I had was the one with the Beatles in their Pepper outfits on the front - that's the one I replaced. I bought a new hard-back copy a few years later - the one with the classic 1963 Dezo Hoffman picture on the dust jacket. I still have that one but it's a total mess now - but I'm tool old to put the pics on my wall now!!!! ;D

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2005, 11:41:28 PM »

The Sgt. Pepper's Cover was the First edition published in '75. The painting of Dezo's picture was 1978, and the 1981 (I'm pretty sure) had the Dezo picture, but it was more of an addendum after John died. Roy Carr and Tony Tyler really set the standard for Beatle books. Great stuff. You're lucky to have found the replacement.

Yeah, I was really pleased when I found that! I had a bit of a book-fest in Liverpool this year - I must have bought nearly 20 books!!!

strawb3rryfi3ldsfor3ver

• Getting Better
  • What filthy ways are these?
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2005, 06:07:31 AM »

Or the Butcher album "Meat the Beatles".

!!!! THAT'S what that's from. I've seen a picture of the "album cover" but ... yeah.

I've read a short out of "Liverpool Fantasy" -- it's included in Carved in Rock, which is all short stories by musicians. My library had it and I checked it out because it said Pete Townshend. XDXDXD

Anyway, that story is interesting, but as mentioned in the thread the writing's kinda weak.
[face=Courier]Things they do look awful c-c-cold... yeah, I hope I die before I get old.[/face]

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 78 queries.