Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 33

Author Topic: Books  (Read 87594 times)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Books
« Reply #380 on: January 30, 2017, 02:06:41 AM »

I've decided in my retirement to read some classic novels

I've started with Crime & Punishment by  Dostoyevsky..

Crime and Punishment focuses on the mental anguish and moral dilemmas of Rodion Raskolnikov, an impoverished ex-student in Saint Petersburg who formulates and executes a plan to kill an unscrupulous pawnbroker for her cash.

Dmitry would be proud of me ha2ha

I downloaded a collection Kelley
The 100 best novels, a BBC collection
They're all in the public domain and all classics
I already read The Ragged Trousered Philanthropist

Will you look at him, sitting there with his hooter scraping away at that book!  Have you no natural resources of your own?  Have they even robbed you of that?  You should be out parading.  That's it, parading the streets ... trailing your coat ... bowling along ... living!  When was the last time you gave a girl a pink-edged daisy?  When did you last embarrass a sheila with your cool appraising stare?  Do you think I haven't noticed ... do you think I wasn't aware of the drift?  Oh ... you poor unfortunate scruff, they've driven you into books by their cruel, unnatural treatment, exploiting your good nature.  And what's it all come to in the end?  A book!
I can stay till it's time to go

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #381 on: January 30, 2017, 02:31:41 AM »

When was the last time you gave a girl a pink-edged daisy? 

Always wondered if this was a euphemism of some sort.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #382 on: January 30, 2017, 02:39:43 AM »

Always wondered if this was a euphemism of some sort.
ha2ha
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Dmitry

• Administrator
  • A Thousand Pages
    • www.murashev.com
« Reply #383 on: March 21, 2017, 06:12:42 AM »

I've decided in my retirement to read some classic novels

I've started with Crime & Punishment by  Dostoyevsky..

Crime and Punishment focuses on the mental anguish and moral dilemmas of Rodion Raskolnikov, an impoverished ex-student in Saint Petersburg who formulates and executes a plan to kill an unscrupulous pawnbroker for her cash.

Dmitry would be proud of me ha2ha

Wow! I'm very proud ))
Did you finish it yet, Kev?

I've read all Dostoyevsky's novels. But most of all I was impressed by `The Brothers Karamazov'. I still remember how my hair stood on end several times while reading.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #384 on: April 25, 2017, 06:22:26 PM »

This was a nice surprise: I just came across a new book on the Franklin expedition: Ice Ghosts: The Epic Hunt for the Lost Franklin Expedition. I can't wait to start reading. There aren't too many books about this yet. The two lost ships were the Terror and the Erebus. I personally would NEVER get on a ship named The Terror, LOL.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #385 on: April 25, 2017, 11:19:25 PM »

Read a silly but amusing story Year Zero: A Novel.  Basic plot is that a huge universe federation of aliens falls in love with earths pop/rock music ( they call the year they discovered it Year Zero). Trouble is they realise after a few decades that they have been violating earth's restrictive copyright laws and now owe earth more than all the money that is, has been, or ever will be in royalty payments. To try to fix things, the aliens engage a young copyright lawyer who  they also think is a member of the Backstreet Boys.

Hardly deep and sometimes reads as a primer on copyright law. But a fun quick read if you like comedic sci fi.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #386 on: May 07, 2017, 06:55:02 AM »

Read a silly but amusing story Year Zero: A Novel.  Basic plot is that a huge universe federation of aliens falls in love with earths pop/rock music ( they call the year they discovered it Year Zero). Trouble is they realise after a few decades that they have been violating earth's restrictive copyright laws and now owe earth more than all the money that is, has been, or ever will be in royalty payments. To try to fix things, the aliens engage a young copyright lawyer who  they also think is a member of the Backstreet Boys.

Hardly deep and sometimes reads as a primer on copyright law. But a fun quick read if you like comedic sci fi.
Sounds like a very possible scenario

:P
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #387 on: September 03, 2017, 02:33:27 AM »

I just read An American Tragedy for the third or fourth time and was interested enough (at last LOL) to look up nonfiction versions of the case. Turns out the alleged killelr lived on the same street as my unofficial sorority house (not one of the snooty ones with the columns and a house mother, etc., just a plain old house sanctioned by the sorority). I can't tell if it's the same house or not, but if it is, apparently he lived in the room occupied by my friend Debbie.

All this time, and I never knew. The original factory is still standing as well.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #388 on: September 03, 2017, 11:34:01 AM »

This was a nice surprise: I just came across a new book on the Franklin expedition: Ice Ghosts: The Epic Hunt for the Lost Franklin Expedition. I can't wait to start reading. There aren't too many books about this yet. The two lost ships were the Terror and the Erebus. I personally would NEVER get on a ship named The Terror, LOL.

Hi Kathy, one of my all time favourite songs is concerning Franklin and his gallant crew..

https://youtu.be/ysFKjWG_W54
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #389 on: September 03, 2017, 09:23:44 PM »

Hi Kathy, one of my all time favourite songs is concerning Franklin and his gallant crew..

What a lovely song, and a beautiful tribute to Franklin and his men. Thank you so much for sharing that, Kevin.  :)

Now that both wrecks have been found, I'm hoping for more books detailing the researchers' findings.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #390 on: September 03, 2017, 11:09:24 PM »

Yes a gorgeous song by Pentangle and all the more poignant in that we can relate it to an event.

The lyrics read well as poetry, being concise and yet wholly descriptive. A wonderful lament to Lord Franklin and his men.
I love the line 'In Baffin Bay where the Whalefishes blow'  It conjures up such wonderful images.

Homeward bound one night on the deep
Swinging in my hammock I fell asleep
I dreamed a dream and I thought it true
Concerning Franklin and his gallant crew

With one hundred seamen he sailed away
To the frozen ocean in the month of May
To seek a passage around the pole
Where we poor seamen do sometimes go

Through cruel hardships they mainly strove
Their ship on mountains of ice was drove
Only the Eskimo with his skin canoe
Was the only one that ever came through

In Baffin's Bay where the whalefishes blow
The fate of Franklin no man may know
The fate of Franklin no tongue can tell
Lord Franklin along with his sailors do dwell

And now my burden it gives me pain
For my long lost Franklin I'd cross the main
Ten thousand pounds I would freely give
To say on earth that my Franklin live's
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 11:44:01 PM by nimrod »
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #391 on: September 04, 2017, 01:55:41 AM »

Yes a gorgeous song by Pentangle and all the more poignant in that we can relate it to an event.

The lyrics read well as poetry, being concise and yet wholly descriptive. A wonderful lament to Lord Franklin and his men.
I love the line 'In Baffin Bay where the Whalefishes blow'  It conjures up such wonderful images.

That line jumped out at me, too. Thanks, too, for sharing the lyrics. I do hope someday Franklin's grave is found. His wife went to great extremes to find out what happened to him and his men.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #392 on: September 04, 2017, 10:59:57 PM »

I promised my self when I retired I would read the BBC top 100 classic books

Im now reading George Orwels classic....... 1984

Up to part 2 now, cant put it down, brilliant descriptive writing. (I cant stop relating it to North Korea)  ???
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #393 on: September 04, 2017, 11:30:26 PM »

I promised my self when I retired I would read the BBC top 100 classic books

Im now reading George Orwels classic....... 1984

Up to part 2 now, cant put it down, brilliant descriptive writing. (I cant stop relating it to North Korea)  ???

I had to look up that list. There are a lot of books on there that I haven't read. Some advice: If you haven't already read Stephen King's The Stand, when you do, go with the original, edited version. I've read both, and although I think King is brilliant, the edited version is definitely better.

KelMar

« Reply #394 on: September 05, 2017, 02:16:00 AM »

I had to look up that list. There are a lot of books on there that I haven't read. Some advice: If you haven't already read Stephen King's The Stand, when you do, go with the original, edited version. I've read both, and although I think King is brilliant, the edited version is definitely better.

So do I Kathy. I am not really a fan of his usual genre but when I read November 22, 1963 I was blown away. I wish he would write something else that wouldn't give me weird dreams. LOL

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #395 on: September 07, 2017, 02:26:20 PM »

I wish he would write something else that wouldn't give me weird dreams. LOL

I agree. Whenever I read one of his books, I keep a lightweight alternative by a different author on hand to read just before bed; otherwise I would have nightmares!

My daughters and I are anxiously awaiting seeing IT in the theaters. Can't wait! That's one that gave me some serious creeps.  ;)

KelMar

« Reply #396 on: September 09, 2017, 05:45:42 PM »

My daughters and I are anxiously awaiting seeing IT in the theaters. Can't wait! That's one that gave me some serious creeps.  ;)

Oh yeah; I forgot that was a King book. Like Kelsie said, that scene in the commercial with the balloon and the clown has probably already been the cause of a lot of nightmares. LOL

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #397 on: September 10, 2017, 02:09:25 AM »

^

Yeah, there's somethin' 'bout clowns and balloons I reckon...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRLPW8RlUvE" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRLPW8RlUvE</a>

:o

KelMar

« Reply #398 on: September 10, 2017, 03:51:26 AM »

^^^
Have you seen the commercial, Barry? That clown is no Bozo!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #399 on: September 10, 2017, 05:33:33 AM »

^

Yeah.  I saw it.  And just like Bozo says..."Always keep laughing!"

These kinds of movies don't frighten me, Kelley.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 33

Page created in 0.911 seconds with 78 queries.